Older man with Younger Woman (Ladies Only)

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
A woman told me the other day that there are women who would date an older man ( 10-15 years older) and even have a family. My opinion is she was wrong but I want to ask the ladies on MFP. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have dated older guys before and would do it again, but would be careful/take it a bit slower to ensure there wasn't a maturity gap or rate of personal growth difference.

I think it can be more of an issue when she's in her early twenties (you'd just be SO different) instead of in her late twenties and older; in her late twenties she's more likely to be ready to start a family while many guys her age aren't.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ... But watch out for daddy issues.
  • superstartashaspicer
    Options
    I'm married to a 52 year old men and I'm only 35 but there are women that would love to have a older men they are much more stable and much more ready for life.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My hubby is 9 years older than me :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I do not see a problem in this as I have dated older men in the day. The issue is, what is the motivation? Are they dating them because they are kind and funny and they really enjoy being around them or is the fact they lavish them with gifts and take them to places men their age can not typically afford? AKA, is it all about the Benjamins?

Another issue some women have as far as married men go is they relish the attention and it makes them feel superior when they get the attention away from another mans wife. Little do they know they are more than likely being treated like a ho and are feeding his ego, and other things.

And what up with a man going for a younger woman? Lets say a man that is 40 going for a 25 year old? Really? What is he thinking? Or what is he thinking WITH?
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    lol My SO is 14 years older than me. Im 27 hes turning 42. We have 2 kids and are very happy!
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    last summer when I was 21, I dated a 30 year old. I felt like it worked out fine, and I don't feel like even a few extra years to his age would have made that much of a difference for me. I felt like a combination of a) his not really knowing my age until several weeks in (as long as you're 21 and don't get turned away at a bar or something), and b) maturity and not acting like a teeny bopper co-ed, made it work out okay. Not sure about long term, though..it was a summer when all of his buddies were starting to have babies with their wives.....
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    my ex was 20 years older than me ( we are still best friends) * i was 18, at the time*

my husband is 11 years older than me ( been together almost 13 years, married 11) *started talking when i was 19, met in person age 20 and the next day he paid for a ticket for me to move to his state and be with him, married at 21*

age isn't a factor for me, its personality and chemistry

i am now 32 (about to be 33 in August)
    i do not have kids, only b/c the good lord hasn't blessed me with any
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My best friend's mother is married to my best friend's father, who is 16 years her elder. I've definitely had feelings for some people who were ten, eleven years older than I was.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I married a man 13+ years my senior and became a full time mom to his three children from a previous marriage, plus I had my own child from a previous marriage. We just celebrated our 38th wedding anniversary. We're happily married and I would do it all again!:flowerforyou:
  • Janet55555555555
    Options
    My husband is 61/2 years older than me and we have a good marriage and my dad was five years older than my mom. The ironic thing is my mom died first.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I know my age gap isn't super big, but I'm 22 and my boyfriend is 29. We've been together almost 2 years and most days, I wouldn't trade it for the world. We see eye to eye on almost everything. We do have a bit of an issue when discussing music and movies though. He can remember movies from before I was born, so that creates a bit of a divide. Our maturity levels are about the same though. Guys take so much longer to mature anyway!
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    my hubby is 10.5 years older than me and we will be married for 14 years this June.
  • suthrnladey
    suthrnladey Posts: 36
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Age aint nothin but a number!!
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    my husband is 11 years older and age is definatly an issue NOW. when we got married not a issue.. but he seems to age faster and acts like an 90 year old man now (he is 56). im sure it's not that way for alot of men.. but lucky me.. i got a very old acting man to deal with. :(
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Its all a matter of preference, there are some people who are more comfortable dating a much older guy than those of their same age while some are opposite.

Personally I prefer dating someone who is less than 10 years older than me or someone who is a few years younger than me although 5 years ago, I had one who is about 14 years older than me but the relationship didn't worked out & we only lasted for 2 months. However I thought that this could be better because I prefer someone who I can relate much in terms of interest, hobbies & can "keep up" with me (I'm talking about the age gap). My boyfriend is 3 1/4 years older than me (his birthday is Dec while mine is April so technically he's not 4 years older), he is 36 (will turn 37 this Dec) while I'm 33 & right now we are doing great.

Interesting though, I never dated someone my same age. Its always been either older (the majority) or younger guys but never my age.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    my preference is and always has been older men. i rarely connect on a mental level with men my age/younger.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My ex is 10 years older than me. We started dating when I was 19 and he was 29. We were together for 7 years and have an amazing daughter together. It didn't work but our age difference wasn't the culprit.
  • martina123321
    martina123321 Posts: 115
    Options
    I am 24 my partner is 36 that is a 12 year difference and we have a gorgeous 2 year old son. We have been together for 7 years and we are engaged. We are very happy together. I moved in with him when I was 18 (just turned) and have never looked back :) Met him when I was 17. xxx
  • Nbentz214
    Nbentz214 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on both people involved. I am 26, my fiance is 36. We met when I was 20 years old. This might not work out for some other people, but it has been great for us. I am sure he went into our relationship with caution seeing that I was nearly 21 and he was turning 31. It does help though that we look the same age, he has some good genes!! =)