Older man with Younger Woman (Ladies Only)

Options

Replies

• Strawberrypop
    Strawberrypop Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what exactly is "wrong" with this? I'm 28, my long term boyfriend is 40 and we've been involved since I was 18 and he was 30. We have a great relationship, been living together for years. Age has never been a problem.

It's been said so many times before, but age really is just a number....
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    It's a lot more common than some people realise. My OH is 8 years my senior, which isn't quite in the age difference you stated, but nonetheless, many women prefer older guys. Maturity.
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I married a fella 7 years my senior and he is still way more immature that I'd like, should have shot for older ;) Seriously though it is creepy when older men consistently pursue younger women... looks like ego at play more than individual personal attraction. It also leaves a whole lot of awesome women out of play because they are not nubile... but many are lively, intelligent, self-aware and very attractive.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm married, my hubby is 8 years older then me. If I was single I would date older.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I prefer older men.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    A woman told me the other day that there are women who would date an older man ( 10-15 years older) and even have a family. My opinion is she was wrong but I want to ask the ladies on MFP. What are your thoughts?

What is it that you think is wrong?
  • FitqueenT
    FitqueenT Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue. No disrespect but most guys don't reach their maturity level until a certain age although I have to add that age doesn't always equate maturity level. My husband is only 2 years older than me but is very mature for his age. My dad is 8 years older than my mom.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a man, but I just wanted to mention that my parents got married with an 8 year gap and that my dad later remarried with a 12 year gap. It was never an issue. (the fact that they were crazy was the issue)
  • anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    there is gonna be pro's and con's to any situation. right now i am falling for a 38 year old and i am only 23. as long as the maturity and responsibility is there and it is a healthy relationship, age should only be considered a number. there are gonna be people who think large age gaps is wrong but in today's day and age its really not a big deal. like i said, as long as its a healthy, mature, relationship.
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    I'm 25 my boyfriend is 50. Neither of us wants to have children so that's not a problem that we have to deal with. I'm not sure I can see myself marrying him but for now the relationship works.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've only really dated older men. I generally look for them to be around ten years older, sometimes more... and this sounds ridiculous but I find it's because I'm an older soul... I don't enjoy things that men the same age as me do. I like wine bars and theatre trips and good meals in good restaurants. I have yet to meet a guy in his twenties that is happy to come and watch Opera with me. (And I certainly wouldn't discount him if he did.) So yeah, I guess for me, it's an attitude thing more than an age thing. I don't like clubbing or drinking excessive alcohol, I don't like guys who sit around all day playing video games either and older men tend not to do that. I know it's a huge generalisation, but it's one that has proved true for me time and again.
  • nikki2609
    nikki2609 Posts: 128
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Age aint nothin but a number!!

married for 4 & half years, i'm 36 he's 47, works fine. taken on my daughter as his own, he has has lived his 'wild boy' life & is now happy to be content. :smile:
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    My hubby is 14.5 years older then me and we have been married for almost 27 years. My daughter is seeing someone who is 17 years older then her and seems very happy. Whatever works. It's about the heart not the numbers.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    When I was 21, I married my second husband who was 36 (yes, I got an early start..first married at 17 and divorced at 20.. stupid stupid stupid then 2nd time another stupid mistake, but cured me of wanting to marry again). It was okay for about 5 years, then he wanted to stay home all the time and I wanted to go do things like hike, go to public events, etc. He just got tired I guess. We got divorced 35 years ago. (Glad I never had kids, because I never trusted myself to hang in a marriage and I didn't want to be a single mother.) Then, he got very ill and I came here (100 miles from where I was living) to take care of him for the last few years of his life. That was over 7 years ago. I guess he got even with me!:laugh: :laugh: Anyway, on top of his illness, he now has terminal cancer and isn't expected to live more than a few more months. I am now 64 and he is 79. I came here at 57. This isn't exactly how I pictured "golden years". After he passes away, I'm not sure what I will do. Lost contact with my entire life by committing myself to this "project". And no, I have never been, nor will I ever be compensated for these years.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I sort of dated a guy who was 10 years older than me. I didn't have a problem with it. I would do it again. Everybody's different, why would I disqualify someone who is great and has the same goals as me, just because they're older?
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My husband is 10 years older than me. We have a great marriage.
  • munchketeer
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with dating an older man as long as you enjoy each other's company and have common interests. I think that the age difference doesn't matter if you are happy and doing things together as a couple. The only thing I would question would be if the age difference was over 15 years or more. Sometimes, tho not in all cases, the age difference of a decade or more can cause problems. For example....If the man, or woman, is over 10 years older, the other partner may have a major difference in music, movie, clothing styles, places to hang out, etc..... Also, if the older person is insecure in the relationship, they may feel threatened by the younger partner's youthful appearance and relationships with other friends their age. It may lead to jealousy and mis-trust issues.
  • Marillian
    Marillian Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Firstly, opinions can be neither right nor wrong, so saying this woman is "wrong" in her opinion is.... well, wrong. You both are entitled to disagree, but she is not wrong in her opinion. Then again, opinions are like a@@holes, everyone has one.

Having said that, I believe it depends on how young the woman is. If she is in her 20s, then I don't think it's a good idea because so much "growing up" happens in the 20s. But, if a woman is in her 30s and beyond, then I believe it's perfectly fine, as long it is a healthy relationship and neither party has "daddy-daughter" issues.

When I was in my early 40s, I dated a man 16 years older than I. We were together for 4 years and planning to spend our lives together. That came to end when he died very suddenly from a coronary event. Would I be with him had I known he had a heart condition? Absolutely. Any time spent loving and being loved is well worth it.

I'm happily married now, to a man 8 years younger than I, but my past experience had no bearing on that. We didn't ask each others' ages for months after we began dating. It just wasn't an issue or important.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The subject came up when I told this woman I didn't have any kids and I was too old for children. She said that there are plenty of women that would have children with a 49 year old man and age did not matter. I was a little surprise by her answer and still have my doubts.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Remember fellas, 15 (age) will get ya 20 (years in prison).

I've typically dated younger, but I'm currently interested in a girl who's a year older than me. Diff change of pace for sure, which is nice. I like it.