Does anyone have a eat what you want day (BINGE DAY)???

Options
Hiya my name is Lisa and i am just wondering if there are people out there like me! :flowerforyou: Every Sunday my husband and I have an eat what you want day, I like to bake cakes and puddings on this day for the family! :devil: I feel it keeps me going throughout the week knowing I have this day to look forward to! Is there anyone else out there that does this other than me and do you think this is a wise move to have? Love to hear from you all if you do!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• FTClown
    FTClown Posts: 181
    Options
    Yes, everyday.
    I truly do not believe in diets, for if you are going out of your way to diet, once you (or at least most) hit their target they tend to crash, stop or end up gaining the weight back from one or two days of taking a break.

I still drink my coke (I just drink less)
    I still eat cake, cereal and even had McDonalds the other day
    I just not stuffing my face, not eating as much or as bad, the food I am taking in now is hitting (sometimes passing) my calories exactly where I want to (still need work on my Cholesterol, way WAY to high)
    As long as I eat smaller portions of that bad, more balance of the good and keep working out 6 days a week (use sundays to rest my body)

But my advise to you about the eat what you want day, heck it actually sounds like a great idea if it works for you, just do not PLAN to eat horribly. For example, Sundays is your day so on sundays eat that thing you were craving, make a special meal that might be a few calories more than normal and so on, just do not be waiting all week for sunday to come just so you can make ALL of the things you dont eat throughout the week just to fill up on sunday. Makes Mondays that much harder to start up, makes your body crave the food for a day or two and makes you want to do less in the field of working out (trust me, it is what failed for me in the past, having that cheat day is what I called it)
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yep(: once a week EVERY week (every now and then twice... like if I go over to someone's house for dinner, I'm going to eat what they serve me no matter what, and if they have dessert? I'm gonna eat some, too! (: ) and some people might say it's awful, or that it's unhealthy and I know I don't *need* junk food... but it keeps me sane and I'm still losing :bigsmile:
  • nalliebell
    nalliebell Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have started using Saturday's as treat day. We go somewhere for a nice lunch/early dinner. We are reasonable good eaters during the week and I have found that when I don't have bad snacks in the house there are no bad snacks to have.

good luck
    NB
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't... If I look at calories in/calories out, it is EASILY possible to eat so much on one day of the week that it completely cancels out the calorie deficit I worked so hard for six days to maintain. To me personally, binging is not worth it. I'm not saying I never eat desserts or that I never go over my calorie "allowance", I just don't think regularly eating an inhuman amount of high-calorie food in one day is worth it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    No.

It's too hard to navigate regular days which eventually include holidays, cookouts, parties and celebrations. Those usually end up being "eat what they have" days.

There are somethings that are off the list such as soda and junk snack food. I have failed too many time to go back.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    I was going to say yes....but I still avoid gluten, sugar, processed foods, dairy and soy....so maybe not really!. What I have though is day where I am not worried about calories or carbs, but still eat healthy.

In the past, I have dieted and had binge/cheat days and I still lost weight. However, I found that I felt terrible the day after the binge and cheating made me feel deprived the other days.
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    :explode: Seems like lately I've been doing it all day saturday and sunday. I need to get a hold of myself. I do great all week and then blow it come the weekend. If I truly want to get healthy and fit then I can't keep setting myself back. I don't really have that much weight to lose so it's even harder everytime I mess up.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Sure, but I factor it in. I'm not big into baking, but I do like to drink beer with friends. And I've lost 50 pounds drinking a ton of beer. Your body doesn't have some sort of magical switch at 12am that locks in calories for the day, so I try to think of calories in WEEKLY increments. Of course, it's better to have a consistent daily caloric deficit, but you can run a deficit most days and make room for a decent surplus, while still losing weight. You just need a weekly deficit.

I don't want to go to a party and track every morsel that goes in my mouth, so I plan for it. Budget in small calorie during the week. The day before the party, and the day after, I'll eat much smaller low-carb meals, since parties are usually carb-heavy. During the party, I will cheat smart. No limitless gorging, but I'll have what I want within reason.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    absolutely not. its rare that i go 50 cals over my daily goal. since last july ive probably had 3 days where i went way over my goal.
  • thegoya
    thegoya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Since January, when I first started my current weight loss journey I did not...until about a month ago and now I seem to have too many. So for about 4 months I ate clean with no interuption...now, not so much, and I'm not even at my goal yet although unlike all my previous weight gains, so far I'm able to get back on track without too much of a glitch.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    No. I believe in moderation so if there is something that I am craving I make sure to work it into my daily calories and work out a little more. I've tried cheat days in the past and I would spend the next 2-3 days working off the water weight so it's not worth it to me anymore.
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I didn't see your post, but just posted my "Mother's Day Binge". I pigged out on cake and am now worried I undid all the really hard work I've put into my diet. By diet I mean eating staying on 1200 healthy calories and working out about everyday. I hope that one day didn't set me back as I'm getting so close to my goal.

Mary
  • kmikale86
    kmikale86 Posts: 3
    Options
    I used to on Fridays or Saturdays. Helped keep my sanity from counting calories. But even when I had the binge day I didn't get too carried away. I like to think its because I got into a routine to where I would rather eat healthy and stay within my weekly calorie limit than to do good 6 days of the week just to waste my effort on the seventh. Now I allow myself to have a day or two to have something that may push the limit a little versus an all out buffet binge. Like yesterday (Sunday) I went to Wendy's and had a chicken sandwich meal and I only went over the daily limit by 50 calories.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, everyday.
    I truly do not believe in diets, for if you are going out of your way to diet, once you (or at least most) hit their target they tend to crash, stop or end up gaining the weight back from one or two days of taking a break.

I still drink my coke (I just drink less)
    I still eat cake, cereal and even had McDonalds the other day
    I just not stuffing my face, not eating as much or as bad, the food I am taking in now is hitting (sometimes passing) my calories exactly where I want to (still need work on my Cholesterol, way WAY to high)
    As long as I eat smaller portions of that bad, more balance of the good and keep working out 6 days a week (use sundays to rest my body)

But my advise to you about the eat what you want day, heck it actually sounds like a great idea if it works for you, just do not PLAN to eat horribly. For example, Sundays is your day so on sundays eat that thing you were craving, make a special meal that might be a few calories more than normal and so on, just do not be waiting all week for sunday to come just so you can make ALL of the things you dont eat throughout the week just to fill up on sunday. Makes Mondays that much harder to start up, makes your body crave the food for a day or two and makes you want to do less in the field of working out (trust me, it is what failed for me in the past, having that cheat day is what I called it)

This is what I was going to say exactly. I eat whatever I want within (usually) the confines of my calorie target and find that this keeps me happy and not feeling deprived.

I HAVE seen cheat days that canceled out all of the rest of the week's hard work, so do log the cheat days so that if you don't lose weight you can go back and see what happened
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yes...I do this every day. The difference is that I want to eat healthier, so I want different foods than I used to. It makes perfect sense to me to have pizza if I want it (and maybe a beer too), but there's no reason to have garlic bread, cream puffs, cake, ice cream, and a bunch of other high calorie - low nutrient foods the same day. I have worked too hard to this point to just blow it all away with one day of totally irresponsible eating.

So...no binge days for me. Just days where I can enjoy whatever I want and still stay focused on my goals!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't plan them because if I had the mentality to eat whatever I wanted for a whole day I could really derail some of my weekly progress.

Also, I have those days on accident enough without needing to plan them! :ohwell: But I'm working on that!
  • mimiclown
    mimiclown Posts: 32
    Options
    I had an entire binge weekend. 1st time in 95 days I didn't log. I actually don't feel guilty. I think I've earned it. I wasn't really bad though.
  • jacque930
    jacque930 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Everyday is an eat what you want day. Moderation is key.
    If I know I am going to a party, a happy hour, or some other event, I will work to adjust the other parts of my day. Have a lighter lunch and instead of gorging at the event, have smaller portions and eat slower. It allows me to have what I want but not over do it. I can't deprive myself all week and then have one day of treat. One day of bad food makes me feel lethargic and unmotivated. I know, because I just did that over the weekend and I just hurt for a good few hours.

One other thing, exercise. If I do some excersise, it allows me to have a "treat" once in awhile as I have burned more calories that day. - My treat today.. Greek Yogurt with Granola. It may be 200 calories, but I will burn that off easily.

For those beer enthusiasts, have a Guiness. I tried it, it took me longer to drink and therefore I only had one beverage. The calories per oz is quite low for beer in a Guiness. Any other type, and I would have had 2 or more. I enjoyed the one and it satisfied me with out derailing my eating habits.

I would suggest treating oneself during the week. It manages cravings better. It can be done! :smile:
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do usually Saturday or Sunday. I wouldn't call it a binge day though- I eat what I want but I don't overload just because I can. The up to this for me is that I don't feel deprived. My husband usually makes biscuits and gravy or pancakes and sorry but I'm definitely having some too :) we also usually eat out for either lunch or dinner, and when you've prepared breakfast lunch and dinner all week it's kind of nice to take a break. The down to this is that my weekends are usually so high in sodium that it sets me back on the scale. So here I am come Monday slamming water to try and get it down again!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Binge days turned into Binge weeks for me. I refuse to do that again. Right now I am trying to learn not to give into cravings. I don't want food to have any power over me.