Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yep. It is about doing it for myself. I have only done one race so far and yep...came in last in my age division and eighth to last overall. That was fine by me...I was told as a child that I would never be able to do any type of endurance activity. I was born with two holes in my heart (which were repaired....I have a huge scar down my chest) and pretty bad asthma. I proved all my doctors wrong and furthermore I proved to myself that I can persue my goals and dreams. Never let the fear of failure keep you from trying.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Although I'd run as hard and fast as possible, it's not so much about the place I finish, but the satisfaction in completing a race.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes. I used to run track and was always last. I plan on running a 5k in the near future and probably will be last. But at least I will know I tried and at least did it :)
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    YES!! I just want to be able to run and to be in a race I would definately do it even though I think I'd come in last~
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes! It would be an amazing accomplishment just to do it in the first place. I'm doing a 5k in September and I will probably do terribly, but I'm doing it anyway, and I'm going to be proud. Go for it! :flowerforyou:
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yep, I would and I did many times in High School. I ran track but was never fast. But I also had an awesome dad that would continue cheering for me after everyone else had finished and he didn't stop until I crossed the finish line.
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    and I'd probably take a big bow at the end. I think even finishing last is a huge accomplishment :)
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would and I have. It's just good to know that I'm healthy enough to run or whatever.
    And I still beat all the people sitting at home:smile:
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    YES. I am doing the Girls on the Run 5K this weekend. Everyone is number 1 no matter where you come in. Ill be close to last!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Sure would. Just remember doesn't matter where you finished; you did it and that feeling beats everything. Plus you just beat everyone who's still being lazy and sitting around doing nothing!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I didnt know I was going to finish last, but I ran a 10K with a friend who is slower than me, and I promised her I would stay with her the whole time. It was her first 10K. About halfway through, we realized we were the last two. We had the police motorcycle creeping along behind us as we plodded our way towards the finish.

When we got to the finish line, I stopped and let her go before me, and then I stepped across behind her. I've never been more proud to finish dead last. She was in such a daze at the finish she didn't even realize I had done it until I told her about it later.

Along the same lines as others have said.. as long as I finish, I don't care.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Ha, funny I just had this conversation with my podmates at work today, only because the marathon in town is this weekend, not because I run...ever.

Nope I would not. But luckily they are nice and said they would run slower than me so I wouldn't finish last.
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I ran a 20K (damn close to a half marathon!) on April 1st fully expecting to be the last man crossing. Guess what??? I was third from last...and by a good margin of time, I might add. Never been prouder!! heck I was thrilled to have finished it, the "not last" place was just icing! Go do it!!
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes for fun, no for competition.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Probably not. I think that knowing I had no chance of achieving anything but last place would be demotivating. If I want to compete with myself I prefer to do it alone.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    DFL>DNF>DNS

:happy:
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as I was confident I would finish.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Yep. It is about doing it for myself. I have only done one race so far and yep...came in last in my age division and eighth to last overall. That was fine by me...I was told as a child that I would never be able to do any type of endurance activity. I was born with two holes in my heart (which were repaired....I have a huge scar down my chest) and pretty bad asthma. I proved all my doctors wrong and furthermore I proved to myself that I can persue my goals and dreams. Never let the fear of failure keep you from trying.

You are awesome. That is such an inspiration; way to go!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Running was a lot more fun before I got competitive about it.

That's the truth!! I am still trying to keep it fun... but constantly focusing on pace, and improving pace, etc it sometimes feels like I'm draining all the fun out of my running!!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I've never ran in my life, either recreational or competitive, until this year. Next month I'm going to run in my first ever race, a 10K. I'm not in it to win, I couldn't care less if I'm dead last, I'm just going to try & reach my goal of finishing it in less than 45 minutes.