Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I recently raced in a sprint triathlon (300 m swim, 20K bike and 5k run) and was definitely concerned I would be dead last. But I decided my two goals were to run the whole 5K run and finish. That's it. I wasn't going to worry about my speed or my place.

I finished and was not the last person, but it really didn't matter because I had met my two goals. Remember that there are people who never start, people who start and don't finish, and then there are the finishers. If you are the last finisher, you are still in the top!
  • SKP1986
    SKP1986 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My goal is just to simply finish.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    if_found_on_ground_male_runner_shirt.jpg

I need this shirt. One day it might save my life.

Seriously hilarious!
  • mamasyd
    mamasyd Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If it's worth trying, it's worth finishing. If I only attempted those things in which I knew I would excel, where would the growth be? If I only tried doing things that I knew I would finish first, I would not have lost the weight that I have because it was definitely an endurance race in which no 'speed records' were set!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Yes....I would definitely do it just b/c it would be a BIG accomplishment for me to even start one let alone finish it!! I would be very proud of myself!! :)
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

I can see your argument and kudos to you for doing it. In your situation I can see that this was a massive achievement and showed grit and determination to enter and compete.

I'm coming from a different perspective. I can run reasonably well. I am lucky that I have the option to consider different races and work out the likely tempo of these. Races suitable for talented club runners are going to leave me right at the back whereas a general public run I'm going to be in the first third or so.

So, I can see that my "one size fits all reply" doesn't actually fit all.

haven't done it yet, doing it in December, but I really appreciate it. Thanks!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Of Coarse I would, as long as you finish that is the only thing that matters!!! I am running a 5K in September and If I finish last, so be it....at least I can say I finished!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    A little OT but every year my tri club sets up a cheering station for the marathon and half marathon for Race Weekend in Ottawa (the club is around KM10 for both routes) . As you can see from the picture it wasn't a beautiful day but we stayed out to the bitter end and cheered through the last of the walkers.

251042_10150629708645422_823355421_18664305_4506408_n.jpg]

I can tell you from the looks on their faces being dead last was the farthest thing from their minds.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have participated in several small town races, and though I didn't come in last, I was close to last. I knew there was that, risk, but did it anyway. I run for me, so as long as I cross the finish than I'm a winner. And I'm ahead of all those people that didn't bother to sign up! :happy:
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

251042_10150629708645422_823355421_18664305_4506408_n.jpg]

I can tell you from the looks on their faces being dead last was the farthest thing from their minds.

***TEAR***

Good for you guys! And good for them!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    WOW! I'm surprised I am in the minority here but the truth is...No.
    I can go run on my own anytime. For me personally, registering for a race is entering a competition.
    Competition means your performance counts.

But on the other hand I have run races where I knew I couldn't/ wouldn't go "all out" because of injury ... does that count?
    But at the same time I also knew I wouldn't be last.

Different people are different. If merely completing a challenging race is not motivating to you and you'd feel bad about finishing last, then running a race against more experienced runners is probably not for you, and that's fine.

Most 5K and 10K runs are more about fundraising than they are serious competition, though there's certainly some competition among the people who are in it to win it. That's usually a couple dozen people, they know who they are, and they'll be competing against each other and taking the competition seriously.

The rest of the crowd is out there to test themselves. The very last person to finish raised money for the cause just like the very first one, and you can bet that there's going to be a good cheering squad making sure the very last person across the finish line gets just as boisterous a cheer as the very first.

But completing your first race at a given level (5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Full Marathon, 100-Miler) is a monumental individual achievement. First, second, or last, it's a major accomplishment. Signing up for an organized one means you showed up on race day and did it regardless of the weather and whether you were feeling your best that day, and gives you a little well-deserved pat on the back.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes! I haven't finished "last", but that's only because of a few ladies with strollers! Still proud of myself, because I got out there and ran the 10 miles - better than sitting on the couch!

Plus, finishing last still gets you a t-shirt :)
  • catmfamily
    catmfamily Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would. I think I did come in last at one half marathon. I don't know for sure. I started an hour early with the marathoners because I needed to catch a plane to my half the next day.

And, just today I made the decision to come in last at our school mile run with 4th and 5th grade students. I didn't want any student coming in last. I coached a girl through her last 440 - tears and all. By the time she was done, she wasn't crying. And she finished. She crossed the finish line before I.

I coached a 5th grade boy, too. We'd walk 20 steps then run 20 - for a mile. :) When we got to the finish line, I let him finish before I did. He finished, too. More than I can say for a couple other boys did who quit after 3 laps.

I mostly just read the boards and don't post often but I just had to say how reading what you did for those kids is a WONDERFUL thing!!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    No matter where I finished all that matters is that I finished the race...there are going to be many times where we lose or come in last....but finishing is what makes us winners!!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    No I would not. I need to be above average and I need to continue to see progress, otherwise I'll probably quit that activity out of frustration. I'm too competitive to settle for last place in anything.
  • TransTina
    TransTina Posts: 82
    Options
    I would. I think I did come in last at one half marathon. I don't know for sure. I started an hour early with the marathoners because I needed to catch a plane to my half the next day.

And, just today I made the decision to come in last at our school mile run with 4th and 5th grade students. I didn't want any student coming in last. I coached a girl through her last 440 - tears and all. By the time she was done, she wasn't crying. And she finished. She crossed the finish line before I.

I coached a 5th grade boy, too. We'd walk 20 steps then run 20 - for a mile. :) When we got to the finish line, I let him finish before I did. He finished, too. More than I can say for a couple other boys did who quit after 3 laps.

I mostly just read the boards and don't post often but I just had to say how reading what you did for those kids is a WONDERFUL thing!!

WONDERFUL Post!! Thank you
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    WOW! I'm surprised I am in the minority here but the truth is...No.
    I can go run on my own anytime. For me personally, registering for a race is entering a competition.
    Competition means your performance counts.

But on the other hand I have run races where I knew I couldn't/ wouldn't go "all out" because of injury ... does that count?
    But at the same time I also knew I wouldn't be last.

Different people are different. If merely completing a challenging race is not motivating to you and you'd feel bad about finishing last, then running a race against more experienced runners is probably not for you, and that's fine.

Most 5K and 10K runs are more about fundraising than they are serious competition, though there's certainly some competition among the people who are in it to win it. That's usually a couple dozen people, they know who they are, and they'll be competing against each other and taking the competition seriously.

The rest of the crowd is out there to test themselves. The very last person to finish raised money for the cause just like the very first one, and you can bet that there's going to be a good cheering squad making sure the very last person across the finish line gets just as boisterous a cheer as the very first.

But completing your first race at a given level (5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Full Marathon, 100-Miler) is a monumental individual achievement. First, second, or last, it's a major accomplishment. Signing up for an organized one means you showed up on race day and did it regardless of the weather and whether you were feeling your best that day, and gives you a little well-deserved pat on the back.

Why is completing your first race automatically a monumental achievement? My first race was a half marathon and I completed it with 5 weeks of training. I happened to be athletic already so all it took was a small training adaptation for me to accomplish it. There was nothing monumental about that. I find raising an infant to be about 20 times harder than training for even a marathon.

I think the value of the achievement is directly related to how much effort it takes to do it. Not everyone is on a level playing field as far as how effort and performance relate. I applaud the effort people put in more than anything, and sometimes just finishing without a challenging goal is selling yourself short.
  • chersheppard
    chersheppard Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    if_found_on_ground_male_runner_shirt.jpg

I need this shirt. One day it might save my life.

Seriously hilarious!

I want this shirt too!
  • juliekat1955
    Options
    Absolutely! Finishing is an accomplishment you can be proud of. Then next time set a little higher goal and try to make it happen.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I did do a race and came in dead last. It wasn't even running. I was walking and came in behind the fat guy that walked funny and the people pushing a baby stroller. I still enjoyed myself even though I was slightly embarrassed. Made me want to start working harder for the next time.