Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO COME IN LAST IF YOU DON'T TRY????
  • adderlyii
    adderlyii Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes. I actually have in one race and it got me the motivation to get better.
  • wlgreen379
    wlgreen379 Posts: 104
    Options
    I plan on doing that this Saturday in the Warrior Dash. The awesome thing about that is that there is another heat starting a half hour after mine, so I'm going to have people all around me.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yup.
    Ran cross country in high school and regularly finished last if it were just dual meets.
    Actually sometimes they would have even started the boys race before I even finished, which sucked but my team was encouraging and my times really WEREN'T that bad, I averaged 30 min 5k.
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I would. I did it a lot when I was younger lol. You eventually get better at it and then someone else is last :)
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes. I'd be doing it to finish, not to finish at any given place. Now, the second time, I'd be looking to do BETTER than the first...
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you finish you are a star!!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO COME IN LAST IF YOU DON'T TRY????

Men's 100m Olympics final (Women's for you)? I think we can safely say that no matter how hard either of us try we're coming in last.
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    if I could run absolutely the pride and accomplishment I would feel just from being able to finish would be amazing... and would help fuel me to do better for the next one.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I would and I have. Or rather I expected to. I was pleasantly surprised not to be last.

^this. My first official 5k last summer...I finished behind a 5 year old. :blushing: But I still finished!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

Dead last finish
    is better than
    did not finish
    is better than
    did not start.

:flowerforyou:

But picked a suitable race, kept pace with some slightly better runners and posted a time that was better than expected is better still no?
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I would, I just like to run! Doesn't matter much to me. I remember my first 10K I was terrified that I was going to finish last, to me it seemed like the worst thing that could ever happened but I have gotten past that. The most important thing to me with running now is that I have fun!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes, because the losers are the ones that care not to run at all ! (I kid, I kid)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'd run the race only if I knew I had a chance of finishing, regardless of if I'm dead last. Years of gym class daily laps in the near football field-sized courtyard 5 days a week and being one of the last to finish because I was chunky and had asthma problems pretty much rid me of the ability to give that much of a crap.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a comedian that was talking about some guy who came in last at the Olympics in the marathon. He talked about how the dude must have been thinking how he got up every day at the crack of dawn and ran and watched what he ate, and how he probably was thinking he could have not trained at all and still come in last.

I wouldn't run the race, but I may walk it. If I know I am coming in last I might as well make people wait as long as possible to see me finish.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Dead last finish
    is better than
    did not finish
    is better than
    did not start.

Absolutely. I would be so proud of myself for just getting out there. The above says it perfectly!
  • Ritzbrit
    Ritzbrit Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sure would. It's a thrill in itself just to be there and finish no matter what place you come in.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I'm never, EVER gonna win a serious race... even in my age/gender group, so what does it really matter if I finish last?

In fact, my first 5K back in March, I did finish last in my age/gender group.

My second 5K was a nice surprise that I finished 3rd from last in my category.

I'm running against the distance, and against the clock and my own PR anyway... that's all I can do and its more than enough.

Remember, Finished last beats did not finish, which beats did not start.

Ted