Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I would! I am walk/running a 5km on May 27th and I am pretty sure I will come in last. You have to start somewhere! I cant wait to see how I feel when I actually complete the race last or not. It has been a goal of mine for a long , long time!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've done it and I came in last. Epically. Then I wrote an article about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last-108783

Also, after first, second and third, last is the only recognised place :smile:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

Dead last finish
    is better than
    did not finish
    is better than
    did not start.

:flowerforyou:

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!

I've DFL'd twice. Both very tough races. I'm not necessarily proud to finish LAST, but I'm extremely proud to FINISH. I only race against myself. Still, I beat every schmuck who decided it was too hard, or they weren't having a good day, or it was too cold, or too rainy, or their legs hurt, or they didn't want to embarrass themselves...

Excuses are easily told and more easily forgotten. Finishers medals are earned through grit and determination, and last a lifetime.

OH! And you know what? You're only as embarrassed as you decide you want to be.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My personality type would take the experience as a motivator to do better!!! My 5 year old was doing football camp this Spring, and he was last every time in running the lap around the park... I pushed him and told him that what counts is finishing... then a few weeks into it, he came in second to last and ran the whole time, and the moment was priceless. An amazing self confidence booster.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yes, because the losers are the ones that care not to run at all !

Yeah, I've finished dead last in two 25km trail races and a 92 km trail race. But I finished!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

Dead last finish
    is better than
    did not finish
    is better than
    did not start.

:flowerforyou:

But picked a suitable race, kept pace with some slightly better runners and posted a time that was better than expected is better still no?

Sure, it's better. however, I think finishing a 5k at 350 lbs, and having the balls to sign up for it in the first place is the REAL win.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Someone is always "last".

I would definitely run it even if I knew I would be dead last. I still beat those sitting on their butts on the couch or standing on the side with no motivation to even try.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes.... I've ran two and ran them for the sense of accomplishment and pride... I wasn't running to come in first.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Not unless there was a prize for the last runner :laugh: :laugh:
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a 1/2 marathon in October, it'll be my first marathon EVER. I don't care if I come in dead last, I just want to say that I did it!!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Did it in elementary school. We had fund raisers where you'd sell to neighbors and then run for how ever many dollars they spent. Well I had no neighbors but I usually raised at least 5 dollars... I'd run the 5 laps and get lapped by the kids running 20 or more laps... I so lost those "races" I've never done a real race though, like a 5K or anything, but yeah I'd still go. Burning calories is good, even if you come in last!
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    i would sometimes comming in last will come in handy such as if theres a cliff ten feet after the starting line
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    How do you know that you would be last if you din't start it? Race against yourself and no one else!
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Yes, because the losers are the ones that care not to run at all ! (I kid I kid)

Yeah, I've finished dead last in two 25km trail races and a 92 km trail race. But I finished!

Run Forrest Run!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Your honest opinion

As long as I've challenged myself, I consider completion a success. Finishing last sure beats the hell out of staying on the couch because you're afraid you'll be last.

How do you know you'll be last? Cross the finish line and then tell us whether you came in last. And even if you did, you crossed the finish line, didn't you?

Anyone who gets off their *kitten* and runs a race that challenges them is OK in my book. Even if you never finish the race, at least you tried, and that's an accomplishment, too.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes- and I did last summer. I did a 10K.....that started with both 10K and 5K runners. Only about 15 people participated in the 10K....and I was the slowest. By the time I finished, behind the 5K walkers, I was dead last! :) It was okay though because I never walked...and beat my goal time. I finished in an hour and 9 mins.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    yes.

I almost did that 1.5 weeks ago. I "ran" a 5k with my 4 year old. We were like 5th to last, but, she did the entire thing, I never picked her up to carry her or anything. About mile 2 my boyfriend came back and helped me encourage her til the end. Every finisher got a medal (see my profile pic). She was so proud of herself, and I was so proud of her. It didn't matter that it took us over an hour. It just mattered that we finished.

The think about racing is - I am only competing against myself. I have done six 5ks now, one 10k, and am training for a half. It was my 3rd 5k before I could RUN the entire race without walking at all. THAT was an amazing feeling to me. I go into each race with a little goal for myself, either a pace in mind, a finishing time, or some non-speed related goal (like running it all) and I am STOKED when I accomplish it.

Bottom line is that I race for ME. I race against ME. I would do it (but, hey, you don't KNOW that you will finish last, have faith!)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Sure, it's better. however, I think finishing a 5k at 350 lbs, and having the balls to sign up for it in the first place is the REAL win.

Anyone who has the training and courage to run a 5K at 350 pounds (which is the equivalent of an experienced runner carrying two other experienced runners on his/her back) and can complete the race, regardless of standing, is a star athlete and a real class act in my book.

Run it. Walk it. Stagger it if you have to. If you never challenge yourself, you'll never know what you are capable of.

EDIT: This coming from a guy who trained for a 5K at 340 pounds and lacked the courage to try it. Run it for me. Please.
  • peabird3
    peabird3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    absolutely. I would be happy just finishing.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yup. Why not? At least you will have done it, and have a time to beat next time.