Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Your honest opinion

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I damn near always have anyway. It's for the fitness and the friends you make along the way.
  • PixEm
    PixEm Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yup! I would because all I care about is myself succeeding and doing the best I can.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    yes.

I almost did that 1.5 weeks ago. I "ran" a 5k with my 4 year old. We were like 5th to last, but, she did the entire thing, I never picked her up to carry her or anything. About mile 2 my boyfriend came back and helped me encourage her til the end. Every finisher got a medal (see my profile pic). She was so proud of herself, and I was so proud of her. It didn't matter that it took us over an hour. It just mattered that we finished.

This made me cry a little. I want my 6 year old to run with me! That's AMAzing!
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    Yes. Always Yes.
    Race against your own inner expectations.
    Know that completion is success.
    Perhaps the best (and most extreme) version of this is a paralyzed woman who completed the London Marathon 16 days after it began (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/may/08/paralysed-claire-lomas-london-marathon?fb=native).
    Go forth, succeed, but change your definition of success if you must.
  • sjflowers
    sjflowers Posts: 148
    Options
    yes, because i never raced against people. only against my own time. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not fast enough to finish first, and everyone knows that the person who finishes first is the winner and the person who finishes second is just the first loser . . . so what difference does it make if you end second or last unless you're not trying at all?
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    As long as I finished I would be happy because I used to not be able to run. Plus, you never know for sure that you will finish last so it's worth trying.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    yup....cause there are hundreds of people who didnt attempt it..
  • TransTina
    TransTina Posts: 82
    Options
    Definitely, yes. I have done in the past.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I've run two 5Ks so far, and I expected to finish last in both (I didn't). The position I place is the last thing on my mind... it's all about pushing myself and finishing :)
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Done it! Many times. I was more interested in challenging myself than where I placed. And the more I did it, the better I placed; eventually coming in top 20 (out of 500ish) on a 50-Mile Challenge Walk. WOOT!
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    if_found_on_ground_male_runner_shirt.jpg
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to start somewhere in order to improve 4 years ago I started time trialing and I finished last in my first race now I have 1) got fitter and 2) got better at it I am now in the middle order. I'm not saying it's easy to take but you just have to set your own goals and target as you are only racing yourself really.
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, cuz I could say I did it!
  • nicolefooch
    nicolefooch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have before and I would again. I always tell people that don't want to sign up for a race because they think they'll be last that SOMEONE has to finish last and no one will look down on you for it. From what I have seen, the people in last get the most cheers because everyone is glad that they are just out there doing it. You'll never get better if you don't start.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.

Dead last finish
    is better than
    did not finish
    is better than
    did not start.

:flowerforyou:

But picked a suitable race, kept pace with some slightly better runners and posted a time that was better than expected is better still no?

Sure, it's better. however, I think finishing a 5k at 350 lbs, and having the balls to sign up for it in the first place is the REAL win.

I can see your argument and kudos to you for doing it. In your situation I can see that this was a massive achievement and showed grit and determination to enter and compete.

I'm coming from a different perspective. I can run reasonably well. I am lucky that I have the option to consider different races and work out the likely tempo of these. Races suitable for talented club runners are going to leave me right at the back whereas a general public run I'm going to be in the first third or so.

So, I can see that my "one size fits all reply" doesn't actually fit all.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of running but if I become one then why not. I believe that its not important whether you win or lose but its how you play the game.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    if_found_on_ground_male_runner_shirt.jpg

I'm laughing so hard people around me are concerned. I am SO stealing this! Thank you.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    WOW! I'm surprised I am in the minority here but the truth is...No.
    I can go run on my own anytime. For me personally, registering for a race is entering a competition.
    Competition means your performance counts.

But on the other hand I have run races where I knew I couldn't/ wouldn't go "all out" because of injury ... does that count?
    But at the same time I also knew I wouldn't be last.
  • amandalynn636
    amandalynn636 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have and would do it again. I was just so proud of myself for running the entire time, I really didnt care that I was last. My first 5k I finished last, my second one, I finished second to last because a woman had to wait until her husband was finished before she could start (they had small children that needed look after), so she started 15 or 20 mins behind me, so at least I beat her(: