What do truly skinny people eat?

I am hungry all the time and need to lose weight. I set my calorie goal at 1350, although to get where I need to be I really should be only eating 1200 calories per day, but even 1350 is a struggle. So, I was wondering what do the thin people here on MFP eat, specifically those who eat 1200 calories a day or less?

Replies

• ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Don't worry. Give it a week and you'll be fine with 1200. Eat a high protein breakfast that'll hold you til lunch. You won't have to snack. Eat a good high protein lunch that'll hold you til dinner and so forth. Stay away from the crap. Eat what counts. Of course drink water but yadda yadda on that. Water never filled me up. If your stomach growls, tell it NO! Just because it's growling doesn't mean it needs attention.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Higher protein foods work wonders for fullness. Try to keep your carbs under 125g
  • mrsRhughes
    mrsRhughes Posts: 122
    Thin people eat MORE than 1200-1300 calories a day!!! (Thin, healthy people that is!) At 5'7 and 123 pounds I normally take in around 1700-1900 calories a day. But they are all "good" calories - make sure you get enough healthy fats (avocados, nuts, good cooking oils). Even though these things may be "high" in calories, they are awesome for your body! If you're hungry all the time, EAT! But snack on carrots, cut-up bell peppers, apples, kiwi, any kind of fruit. These things are naturally full of fiber and will keep you full. Good luck! I know it sounds annoying to tell you to snack on fruits & veggies, once you start doing it for awhile you actually learn to love them when you realize how much more you can eat as opposed to grabbing handfuls of empty carbs (chips, pretzels, etc.)
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    I always hear the opposite of what she( cali ) is saying ^^ I hear the more water the better, Drink two glasses before a meal, and if your stomach is growling, feed it. BUT clean foods!!!!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Well for some of us it's all about age.

I did not have trouble with my weight until after age 30.

In my teens and 20s I was the woman everyone loved to hate. I ate EVERYTHING and could not gain weight. I was active and I ate really well (we love to cook).

So, in my case a thin (active!!) woman eats whatever she damn well pleases.

Darn hormones, loss of muscle and bone mass...all comes with age and makes it so what worked in your 20s will not work in your 30s and beyond.
  • littlewords
    littlewords Posts: 43
    It's true, you will adjust somewhat, but also true that you're going to be hungry sometimes.
    Definitely eat lots of protein and some healthy fat - it makes you feel the most satisfied and keeps you that way longest.
    Cottage cheese, yogurt, lean chicken and beef, fruit and lots of vegetables - I eat any kind of fruit I can reasonably get and focus on more substantial vegetables like asparagus, brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc.
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    I'm almost to my goal, and I would NEVER survive on 1200 a day. I net AT LEAST 1600, eating back my exercise cals. I've lost consistently. 1200 isn't for everyone, if you're starving, eat more.
  • JenniLisette
    JenniLisette Posts: 132
    i'm not skinny but i do eat few calories, but one thing i've always been told is plenty of Protein with each meal (eggs, chicken, fish, beans) and they will fill u without fattening u. plus lots of water.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    The slimmest and most successful among my MFP friends eat 2,000 calories (including wine and pizza when they feel like it) and work out hard!
  • Onesnap
    I am hungry all the time and need to lose weight. I set my calorie goal at 1350, although to get where I need to be I really should be only eating 1200 calories per day, but even 1350 is a struggle. So, I was wondering what do the thin people here on MFP eat, specifically those who eat 1200 calories a day or less?

I'm never hungry on this program. On days where I'm burning 500 calories (hiking, Zumba) I'm NET 1200 so actually taking in more food. If you're NET 1350 you're actually eating MORE than that (so taking in closer to 2,000) if you're working out.
  • ccb1128
    ccb1128 Posts: 56
    I'm 5'5, 126 lbs. I eat a lot of greek yogurt, eggs, fruits & veggies, nuts, and lean meats. I'm never hungry. I try to make sure all of my calories are quality calories and as clean as possible.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    I'm eating about 1700 cals daily and am losing weight. You can eat quite a bit and get or stay skinny depending on your activity level and fitness level. The more muscular you are, the more calories it takes to support those muscles, so you do actually have to eat more. I noticed that I needed the increased calories when I started weight lifting.
  • Onesnap
    Don't worry. Give it a week and you'll be fine with 1200. Eat a high protein breakfast that'll hold you til lunch. You won't have to snack. Eat a good high protein lunch that'll hold you til dinner and so forth. Stay away from the crap. Eat what counts. Of course drink water but yadda yadda on that. Water never filled me up. If your stomach growls, tell it NO! Just because it's growling doesn't mean it needs attention.

Actually the experts say snacking is good and eating every 2-3 hours is the only way to keep your metabolism amped up.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    What works for me to keep hunger pains at bay is that I eat hight protein breakfast and have a mid morning snack of almonds or string cheese. Then I have a high protein lunch and then an afternoon snack of almonds or string cheese. I keep my carbs around 60 per day. If I eat too many carbs especially the crappy kind, then I am hungry all of the time. I keep my calories around 1300. MFP shows I should be eating about 1280 to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs per week.

Good luck!! Just play around with your protein and carb ratios and see what works for you.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member

Actually the experts say snacking is good and eating every 2-3 hours is the only way to keep your metabolism amped up.
    Who are these "experts", exactly?
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    truely skinny people dont eat much. i speak from personal experience. im a rice cake snacker, but thats as healthy as it gets, i mostly eat gummy sweets chocolate crisps fizzy drinks sometimes i'll eat a banana. lots of butter, erm yeah i dont eat healthy, just dont eat heapos, just seems like i do because i graze all day. but i guess i havent ever had toooo. but i wouldnt reccommmmend my diet. i dont really have a puroose for using mfp, i just have it to keep track of some of my clients' diarys (im a PT) and its good to see whats working and whats not in conjunction with their training!!!!!!!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    My partner is pretty lean(*****)

Shes like a little squirrel. Never has big meals, loads of smalls. Breakfast, one egg and maybe two rashers(wouldn;t finish it), me, toast, two eggs, two rashers and whatever she has left.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    And she eats real slow
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Some thin, healthy people eat 1200-1300 but it really depends on your specific stats. What is your weight right now--1350 might be too low for you.

That said, I would never be able to do 1200 calories if my meals were made up of convenience foods like microwave dinners. I eat a lot of nuts/seeds, fruits, veggies. I have dietary restrictions unrelated to weight so I also use a lot of protein powder.
  • Onesnap

Who are these "experts", exactly?

Whoops, it's actually every 4 hours according to Jillian Michael's book:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Book-Review-Jillian-Michaelss-Master-Your-Metabolism-3023230

I've always heard every 2-3 hours and it works for me.