What do truly skinny people eat?

Options

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I came to MFP as a thin person who wanted to get thinner (5'3", started MFP@ 115lbs, goal 108, currently weigh 110)... the closer I get to 40, the more effort it takes to maintain my figure!

My calorie goal is 1,200. Sometimes I eat more than that, especially on days when I get a lot of exercise, but my "eat a lot" days usually come in around 1,400. I don't seem to have trouble making my goal.

Please feel free to friend me if you want to see my diary!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Give it a week and you'll be fine with 1200. Eat a high protein breakfast that'll hold you til lunch. You won't have to snack. Eat a good high protein lunch that'll hold you til dinner and so forth. Stay away from the crap. Eat what counts. Of course drink water but yadda yadda on that. Water never filled me up. If your stomach growls, tell it NO! Just because it's growling doesn't mean it needs attention.

Actually the experts say snacking is good and eating every 2-3 hours is the only way to keep your metabolism amped up.
    Who are these "experts", exactly?
    I've always read this too. And I've always done this. Quite successfully.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 108lbs, and I eat on average 1600-1900 calories a day. You don't have to eat 1200 calories a day and you don't need to starve.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I am not thin but what I have learned from being perplexed by skinny people is a few things. They tend to be grazers, eating small amounts every few hours. They don't put food on a pedestal, its not the center of their world and the emotional tie to it is there but its not encompassing. They dont stress about food as much, they just are aware of it. If they splurge the night before, they know they have to take it easy the next day.They eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full, they don't push the limits of their tummies.

Skinny healthy people who are naturally that way I find the biggest difference is their emotional relationship and associations with food.

Good points, but I have met thin "foodies". You have to be rather food obsessed to qualify as a "foodie".
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    truely skinny people dont eat much. i speak from personal experience. im a rice cake snacker, but thats as healthy as it gets, i mostly eat gummy sweets chocolate crisps fizzy drinks sometimes i'll eat a banana. lots of butter, erm yeah i dont eat healthy, just dont eat heapos, just seems like i do because i graze all day. but i guess i havent ever had toooo. but i wouldnt reccommmmend my diet. i dont really have a puroose for using mfp, i just have it to keep track of some of my clients' diarys (im a PT) and its good to see whats working and whats not in conjunction with their training!!!!!!!

Is this a joke?? :huh:
  • cournae
    cournae Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have always had a very slow metabolism- If I eat a piece of pizza I feel like I gain 10 pounds! So for me especially I am very serious about taking the 1200-1300 calorie/day path and so far, I've lost about 10 pounds in 4 weeks. The foods that worked wonders for me were the 35-calorie healthy life breads, Lean cuisines, Thomas' Bagel thins, eating 2 pieces of frozen pizza instead of 5, 2% milk cheeses, and low fat coffee creamer instead of full fat.
    It took me a while to get used to, but I just tried to find low-calorie replacements so that I could still enjoy the foods I normally eat. Once I came up with a way to replace my favorite foods with low-calorie versions, I was still able to enjoy them and therefore lacked all those cravings I had, which led to binging on junk food that caused me to be overweight to begin with.
    Take time and make a list of all the high calorie foods you love/crave and plan a way to cut calories from them so that you can still enjoy them without the guilt!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have always had a very slow metabolism- If I eat a piece of pizza I feel like I gain 10 pounds! So for me especially I am very serious about taking the 1200-1300 calorie/day path and so far, I've lost about 10 pounds in 4 weeks. The foods that worked wonders for me were the 35-calorie healthy life breads, Lean cuisines, Thomas' Bagel thins, eating 2 pieces of frozen pizza instead of 5, 2% milk cheeses, and low fat coffee creamer instead of full fat.
    It took me a while to get used to, but I just tried to find low-calorie replacements so that I could still enjoy the foods I normally eat. Once I came up with a way to replace my favorite foods with low-calorie versions, I was still able to enjoy them and therefore lacked all those cravings I had, which led to binging on junk food that caused me to be overweight to begin with.
    Take time and make a list of all the high calorie foods you love/crave and plan a way to cut calories from them so that you can still enjoy them without the guilt!
    This is a good time to chime in and say again: everyone is different. Eating all thes processed carbs would make me starving. For me: good proteins and good vegetables is the key for not being hungry. When I know my day is going to be crazy, I pack proteins and green vegetables.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I love this, this is true, at least for me, I really only developed "a relationship" with food once I actually stared tracking and trying to gain. before, I just ate what I enjoyed, in moderation. Now I consciously have to match up food combos for the best calorie count, its much more boring to be so focused on what I eat!
    I am not thin but what I have learned from being perplexed by skinny people is a few things. They tend to be grazers, eating small amounts every few hours. They don't put food on a pedestal, its not the center of their world and the emotional tie to it is there but its not encompassing. They dont stress about food as much, they just are aware of it. If they splurge the night before, they know they have to take it easy the next day.They eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full, they don't push the limits of their tummies.

Skinny healthy people who are naturally that way I find the biggest difference is their emotional relationship and associations with food.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    depends on the person. depends on if they are healthy or not. just because you are thin doesn't mean you are healthy. one of the girls on my staff is tall and thin and curvy and blonde. if you saw her on the street you would think man she has a perfect body. truth is she eats about 5 or 6 candy bars like snickers every work day and the only vegetables i have ever seen her eat are the lettuce and tomato on her foot long subway sandwich.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Well for some of us it's all about age.

I did not have trouble with my weight until after age 30.

In my teens and 20s I was the woman everyone loved to hate. I ate EVERYTHING and could not gain weight. I was active and I ate really well (we love to cook).

So, in my case a thin (active!!) woman eats whatever she damn well pleases.

Darn hormones, loss of muscle and bone mass...all comes with age and makes it so what worked in your 20s will not work in your 30s and beyond.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That a myth but eating every four hours isn't? Lol
    [/quote]

Nope. And don't LOL me like you're age 12.

If you don't believe what Scientific American has to say about water than just go read USA today or some other dribble that you enjoy.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I am 'skinny'.. I guess. I don't really know what to classify myself as. I eat 1,800-2,100 calories a day. If I am hungry, I eat. I don't go through the day hungry or even part of it. Some days I only get 1,600 cals sometimes I go over 2,100. I eat healthy food, but I do still eat ice cream and cake and things. I just listen to my body, some people SHOULD NOT do that. I know my body well enough and can recognize what I need when feeling hunger pangs and cravings. I can tell when I want to eat just because I am bored or emotionally drawn to food, a lot of people can't and if they can, a lot of people lie to themselves.

I DRINK SO MUCH WATER THAT I HATE DRINKING ANYTHING.

Seriously, drinking liquid that isn't for hydration is a chore to me.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Don't worry. Give it a week and you'll be fine with 1200. Eat a high protein breakfast that'll hold you til lunch. You won't have to snack. Eat a good high protein lunch that'll hold you til dinner and so forth. Stay away from the crap. Eat what counts. Of course drink water but yadda yadda on that. Water never filled me up. If your stomach growls, tell it NO! Just because it's growling doesn't mean it needs attention.

Actually the experts say snacking is good and eating every 2-3 hours is the only way to keep your metabolism amped up.

THANK YOU. Me too.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies and lots of water keeps me feeling full. That, and high protein/fiber foods. I stay away from junk food because it only makes me hungrier when the thrill of eating it is gone. I'm also a vegetarian, so I don't eat any animal flesh, but I am always way above my protein limit.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

THANK YOU. Me too.

Anecdotal. I'm a grazer too, my husband laughs at me and calls me a hobbit, but it isn't the solution for everyone. I'm hungry every 2 - 3 hours so that's when I eat, the hubs generally isn't hungry until lunch and usually only eats 2 meals a day and that works for him. It has nothing to do with timing and everything to do with the actual consumption itself and your body's needs.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Sorry! I just answered your question - I didnt criticize your program!!! my bad!!!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

In my teens and 20s I was the woman everyone loved to hate. I ate EVERYTHING and could not gain weight. I was active and I ate really well (we love to cook).

Darn hormones, loss of muscle and bone mass...all comes with age and makes it so what worked in your 20s will not work in your 30s and beyond.

True that.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 3" and 110 and I eat 1800-2000 calories a day to maintain with no workout. I get cleared to workout next week (had surgery) so I will be eating 2400 calories a day!
  • caytee118
    caytee118 Posts: 55
    Options
    veggies, berries, apples, oatmeal, protein shakes with peanut butter (natural)
  • Onesnap
    Options

True that.

Thanks. :)