Options

Replies

• StirFriedGiblets
    Options
    Bump
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    Just like more overweight people, it depends.

The always skinny who never gain weight? Some just don't eat much and never have, they just have small appetites. Others eat a lot, usually healthier stuff, but burn it off. Others eat a fair amount but stay active.

There is no one size fits all.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    The slimmest and most successful among my MFP friends eat 2,000 calories (including wine and pizza when they feel like it) and work out hard!

Yep.
  • ginsinnot
    ginsinnot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    To control your hunger, I really think you need to eat as "clean" as possible like so many have posted. The less processed "foods" you eat, the better your hormones will function and then, when your body tells you you're hungry, you'll actually be able to believe it. But it's really about fruits and vegetables in their unprocessed forms, healthy proteins (eggs, greek yogurt, natural meats, nuts) and in smaller amounts, healthy starches (think barley, quinoa, steel cut oats).
    That doesn't mean never eating "junk" again, just getting to where you eat it occasionally (I shoot for eating out twice a week and that's the only time I eat processed foods). And really enjoy it when you do!
    My current goal is net 1200 calories. I'm generally not starving but do have to focus on eating small amounts more frequently to not be hungry. And if I am hungry, I eat again regardless of where my calories end up for the day.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    salmon
    stir fry
    strawberries and milk
    lean cuts of red meat
    ground turkey
    tuna steak
    dark green veggies
    lots of carrots
    eggs and bacon
    grapefruit
    grapes
    almonds and cashews
    tons of soups and stews
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I was always slim, until I had a baby at age 44. I ate whatever I wanted, but I was pretty active too. Didn't eat out much or eat much fast food, and my meals were small and frequent. For example, for dinner, I might have a baked potato with grated cheese and bacon bits on it. Or a small side salad. Or a single piece of toast. I never ate breakfast and often wouldn't eat lunch or just a hard boiled egg or spoonful of peanut butter, maybe. Huge meals with pancakes, eggs, bacon, or chicken, pasta, salad and bread were simply unheard of until I got older and more sedentary. Maybe because eating huge meals would give me indigestion and heartburn because of my activity levels. So small, bits and bites throughout the day was how I stayed a svelte 115-125 lbs.

Alcohol was bad news, by the way. During my ugly divorce 10 years ago, I started drinking more and doing it instead of eating. This habit was very unfriendly, health wise. Luckily, I cut it out and no longer drink at all.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    My partner is pretty lean(*****)

Shes like a little squirrel. Never has big meals, loads of smalls. Breakfast, one egg and maybe two rashers(wouldn;t finish it), me, toast, two eggs, two rashers and whatever she has left.

LOL - I first read that as "She likes a little squirrel." I thought, "Squirrel meat?".
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    i think i would die if i only ate 1200 cals a day. I usually eat 1600.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    They eat less than or equal to the amount they burn. That's it.
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Give it a week and you'll be fine with 1200. Eat a high protein breakfast that'll hold you til lunch. You won't have to snack. Eat a good high protein lunch that'll hold you til dinner and so forth. Stay away from the crap. Eat what counts. Of course drink water but yadda yadda on that. Water never filled me up. If your stomach growls, tell it NO! Just because it's growling doesn't mean it needs attention.

My tummy is growling now because I had a muffin for breakfast instead of my hard boiled egg and string cheese. Crazy but true. And I've had 4 glasses of water in the last 2 hours so no water doesn't fill me up but it does swish around my belly.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Truly skinny people do not all eat the same things or the same amount. What you can eat remain skinny varies based on activity level, age, height and the simple fact that we are not all exactly the same.

A skinny 25 yo woman that is 5'10", waits tables for a living, and lifts weights several times a week is going to eat very differently than a skinny 48 yo woman that is 5'3" with a desk job that walks on her lunch hour for exercise.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. Give it a week and you'll be fine with 1200. Eat a high protein breakfast that'll hold you til lunch. You won't have to snack. Eat a good high protein lunch that'll hold you til dinner and so forth. Stay away from the crap. Eat what counts. Of course drink water but yadda yadda on that. Water never filled me up. If your stomach growls, tell it NO! Just because it's growling doesn't mean it needs attention.

Actually the experts say snacking is good and eating every 2-3 hours is the only way to keep your metabolism amped up.
    Who are these "experts", exactly?

Whoops, it's actually every 4 hours according to Jillian Michael's book:
    http://www.fitsugar.com/Book-Review-Jillian-Michaelss-Master-Your-Metabolism-3023230

I've always heard every 2-3 hours and it works for me.
    Oh well if JILLIAN said it, it must be true!

"I've always heard" is not equal to "experts say". I'm glad it works for you, but that doesn't mean anything to the general population. It works for some and not for others.

She actually uses science. If you listened to her podcast you would know there's some real research behind what she does.

Don't diss her.

I mean, she's not the be all end all of personal trainers. I look more to my family members for advice. My Dad (at 65) is going to become a personal trainer when he retires from the state job he's had his whole career. Very inspirational! He already got a job offer.

So, no matter where you look for inspiration don't diss someone trying to help people and the HORRIBLE state this country is in health-wise.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Typical intake is about 1800-2100 calories a day. I start with fruit, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt and/or an English muffin with natural peanut butter. A couple hours later I will have oatmeal and/or fruit. Lunch, whatever my heart desires, and I will have a lot of vegetables with it. Today's lunch is Broiled Tilapia with Garlicky Tomato Sauce and Broiled Asparagus. Afternoon snack totally depends on how much I ate during lunch. I always have almonds and peanuts in my desk to snack on. Dinner, typically a salad with balsamic vinegar and a lean protein like chicken and a hard boiled egg.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I think the key, once you reach a goal weight, is to figure out what your maintenance calories are and stick with it. Rarely is that number going to be 1200 unless your GW is under 110 and you're inactive.

As far as types of foods, people who have been thin either for life or a long time, most of them that I know eat a decent variety of foods, they avoid the really bad junk but eat a lot of things in moderation, even a little junk food now and then.

A BIG part of weight loss/maintenance, as most of us know, is PORTION CONTROL. I can eat a steak, but I eat 4-6 ounces instead of 16-20 like I used to. Increase the veg-to-meat ratio, etc.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My tummy is growling now because I had a muffin for breakfast instead of my hard boiled egg and string cheese. Crazy but true. And I've had 4 glasses of water in the last 2 hours so no water doesn't fill me up but it does swish around my belly.

The 8 glasses of water per day is a myth.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Thin people eat MORE than 1200-1300 calories a day!!! (Thin, healthy people that is!) At 5'7 and 123 pounds I normally take in around 1700-1900 calories a day. But they are all "good" calories - make sure you get enough healthy fats (avocados, nuts, good cooking oils). Even though these things may be "high" in calories, they are awesome for your body! If you're hungry all the time, EAT! But snack on carrots, cut-up bell peppers, apples, kiwi, any kind of fruit. These things are naturally full of fiber and will keep you full. Good luck! I know it sounds annoying to tell you to snack on fruits & veggies, once you start doing it for awhile you actually learn to love them when you realize how much more you can eat as opposed to grabbing handfuls of empty carbs (chips, pretzels, etc.)

I agree with this for the most part. I eat 1700-1900 per day, plus exercise calories.
    I eat smarter than I used to--more lean protein, whole grains, vegetables, fruits...but I still eat treats when I want. What works for one person may not work for someone else, you have to figure out what works best for YOU.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I believe they eat anything they want when they are hungry but know when to stop eating whn they are full.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options

The 8 glasses of water per day is a myth.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
    That a myth but eating every four hours isn't? Lol
  • Charliesuccess
    Charliesuccess Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    truely skinny people dont eat much. i speak from personal experience. im a rice cake snacker, but thats as healthy as it gets, i mostly eat gummy sweets chocolate crisps fizzy drinks sometimes i'll eat a banana. lots of butter, erm yeah i dont eat healthy, just dont eat heapos, just seems like i do because i graze all day. but i guess i havent ever had toooo. but i wouldnt reccommmmend my diet. i dont really have a puroose for using mfp, i just have it to keep track of some of my clients' diarys (im a PT) and its good to see whats working and whats not in conjunction with their training!!!!!!!

What in the WORLD are you talking about???? I would hate to have you as a personal trainer, but why would you even post this here? is this advice??? From a trainer?? OH "but you wouldnt recommend you diet" so what the duece do you recommend??? And just because you dont have a fat body, obviously the fat is going to your brain!
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I am not thin but what I have learned from being perplexed by skinny people is a few things. They tend to be grazers, eating small amounts every few hours. They don't put food on a pedestal, its not the center of their world and the emotional tie to it is there but its not encompassing. They dont stress about food as much, they just are aware of it. If they splurge the night before, they know they have to take it easy the next day.They eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full, they don't push the limits of their tummies.

Skinny healthy people who are naturally that way I find the biggest difference is their emotional relationship and associations with food.