WARNING: TOUCHING THAT RECEIPT IS MAKING YOU FAT

Options
Okay, despite its rather alarmist title, I found the article and infographic in Details Magazine this month fascinating. It's about obesogens...chemicals that may (or may not) be making you gain weight.

http://www.details.com/health-fitness/exercise/201205/weight-gain-obesogens

I have been trying to go almost BPA and pthalate free. There are so many gorgeous glass water bottles out there to tote to the gym (or plain ol' mason jars) that there is NO excuse to still be drinking out of disposable water bottles. Bad for you, bad for the environment! I take my lunch to work in jars -- you can microwave them, they don't retain any flavor, don't stain, and they don't release those nasty chemicals when you heat them up.

But I had no idea about the receipts or the liner in pizza boxes! It will be interesting to see if there is more research done.

No, I don't think these are the sole contributors to weight gain or retaining weight BUT these are all healthy changes to make regardless.

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    BPA is in a lot of things! A lot of canned items contain them. Reciept ink has it. Really hard to get away from it all!

There are a lot more things on the market that are BPA free these days which is nice. Some plastics are as well now!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

But I had no idea about the receipts or the liner in pizza boxes! It will be interesting to see if there is more research done.

YES!!! I'll never order pizza for delivery again! I'll just eat it there so I don't get fat :)
  • ambitious01
    ambitious01 Posts: 209 Member
    Options

YES!!! I'll never order pizza for delivery again! I'll just eat it there so I don't get fat :)

Lmao :laugh:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The Lock-n-Lock sets I've bought are all BPA free, as well as all of my water bottles. I try to stay away from canned foods as much as I can, but some things I can't avoid (those oh so lovely black soy beans....). As more and more people start to pay attention to the BPA issue, more and more vendors will be removing as much as they can from their products in order to cater to the consumer public.

Honestly, if they want to "fight" obesity - make junk food cost more than healthy food. LOL!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

THAT's what I've been doing wrong!!!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Sign. I wish it were receipts and plastic water bottles that made me fat; it would be much less painful to give them up. I have a sneaking suspicion that it was the ice cream, cake, frosting, yeast rolls, cheese fries, cinnamon rolls, and foot long subs that were my obesogens.
  • DGK12
    DGK12 Posts: 117
    Options
    Honestly, if they want to "fight" obesity - make junk food cost more than healthy food. LOL!

This is funny, but so true! I quit smoking when it got so pricey (um, and because it was unhealthy ><), why don't they charge an arm and a leg for junk food too?!!
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options

hahahaha
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    I went to a professional development (I'm a teacher) last year where the speaker talked to us about BPAs. She said that BPAs mimick estrogen in the blood stream. So, women who are pregnant with boys and take in a lot of BPAs could be putting their unborn child at risk.

There's not much research to back that up, at least I didn't find any. But I do know that BPAs have been banned in Japan and other countries because of the health risks they pose. I've tried to cut them out of my diet, too.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    :glasses: Seriously, who, gives, a sh#@.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Ha! I thought I was fat when I was a waitress becuse of all the yummy food available. Now I can blame the credit-card receipts. :noway:

I like my metal water bottle. Glass would be broken in - oh - three-two...
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    probably the PIZZA in the pizza boxes is making you fat too. IJS.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Oh good, I was starting to think that the reason I got fat was from eating too much. Thanks OP!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    This is the bullsh!ttiest bullsh!t I've ever heard.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    probably the PIZZA in the pizza boxes is making you fat too. IJS.
    g

Bullsh*t. Show me the research to back this up! It's clearly the box!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    The Lock-n-Lock sets I've bought are all BPA free, as well as all of my water bottles. I try to stay away from canned foods as much as I can, but some things I can't avoid (those oh so lovely black soy beans....). As more and more people start to pay attention to the BPA issue, more and more vendors will be removing as much as they can from their products in order to cater to the consumer public.

agreed!
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Cure for obesity. Dine and dash
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The things I learn!
  • Spooney45
    Spooney45 Posts: 76
    Options
    On a similar level, there is a virus called adrenovirus which basically causes the symptoms of a cold, however, it gets into your lungs and spreads to adipocytes (fat cells) via the blood and through other tissue. It causes the lipid droplets that are inside the adipocytes to get bigger (i.e absorb more fat from your diet). This causes the cells to expand and eventually divide, the process is repeated until you get over the virus.

The problem with getting extra fat cells is you can't ever get rid of them. Through diet and exercise they can shrink and become almost no existent but are still their in the same amounts and will absorb fat from your diet, this is why people who lose a lot weight can but it on quite easily again but people who only put a tiny bit of weight on and lost it or never had the weight to begin with have a harder time gaining weight because they have less fat cells. Thus the virus has a permanent effect on you.

The worst part is the virus is not uncommon and causes you to gain enough wait over the 3 months its in your system that you got extra adipocytes. As it is a virus its obviously easily spread which means you can literally catch weight-gain/obesity off of other ill obese people.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg