Ladies, Hair washing

Options

Replies

• WongoWoman
    WongoWoman Posts: 21
    Options
    My hair gets gross after working out. To avoid using shampoo everyday I spray in leave in conditioner beforehand and just rinse it afterwards. My hair is doing better than the rest of me!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair daily combined with an overnight wrap mix of coconut and argan oil for moisture.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I only wash my hair every other day. I do rinse it with hot water on non-washing days. But I don't have an overly oily scalp and live in a dry climate.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every other day or every two days. Workouts that end up being super sweatier than normal will cause me to break my cycle and wash earlier than planned. Really, your body adjusts to your natural oils...the more you wash the more oils your body wants to produce to make up for what is being washed away. Thats not good. I have a friend (he is a boy) who onl;y washes his hair once a week and his looks better than mine! I have not been brave enough to try that!

this ^^ my hair was always so oily and i thought i *had* to wash it every day, but then i decided to try every other day out and my scalp has adjusted. my hair is not as oily as it used to be! so i'd say to give it a try to those who say their hair is too oily :)
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Every other day, sometimes two days in between!
    If it's oily between washings i'll use a bit of cornstarch (same as "dry shampoo" or baby powder) to absorb some of the oil (if you have dark hair only use a little bit at a time!!)
    Or, sometimes when i'm in the shower i'll give it a vinegar water rinse (leaves it super soft and will NOT smell like vinegar once it dries.)
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My hair is super oily, I have got to wash it every day or I become an oil slick :(

I am so jealous of all of you who don't have to...I wish!

Me too! I have to wash mine everyday.

Oil head here too! I can't imagine going every other day or more without washing my hair. It's an oil slick by the end of the day when I shampoo in the morning. I can't even take showers at night and feel normal in the morning lol
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I wash mine twice a day. My workouts are sweat dripping on the floor, hair stuck to my head disgusting grossness...

I use a leave in conditioner in the mornings and don't seem to have a problem with my hair drying out. So until it starts to fall out--I'll be washing the sweat out.
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I surprised so many can get away with not washing their hair! I have to every day, and after I exercise (I get sweaty!) This is one of the reasons I exercise in the morning. Then I can shower just once a day.

What really annoys me, though, is drying my hair. It takes a long time to dry and I have no a/c in my house, so it can get uncomfortably warm. I'm seriously thinking about getting a long bob just to have less hair to deal with!
  • Bubbles_09
    Bubbles_09 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    maybe once a week...i defintly dont wash mine everday..
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I wash mine twice a day. My workouts are sweat dripping on the floor, hair stuck to my head disgusting grossness...

I use a leave in conditioner in the mornings and don't seem to have a problem with my hair drying out. So until it starts to fall out--I'll be washing the sweat out.

^^ this I have to I cant stand leaving the sweat in my hair makes me feel gross
  • Nikkialiseo312
    Options
    What most people don't realize is that the more you wash your hair the more oily it will get!! When your constantly stripping your hair of its natural oils it increases the amount produced, therefore resulting in your oily hair! As hard as it might sound, try not washing your hair as much for awhile and I'll bet anything you'll begin to produce less oil.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair at least once a day, typically in the morning before work or after a.m. cardio and before work. When I go to the gym on my lunch for strength training, I shower, but pull my hair up in a messy bun so I don't have to wash it.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Every other day here too. And sometimes on the days in between I'll just use conditioner...but I have very dry hair as it is.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I Literally only wash my hair about every 3 or 4 days...I color mine so much that it needs all the TLC I can give it, and also helps to keep my colors brighter longer....
    Dry Shampoo is my best friend..
  • wgrape
    wgrape Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I only wash with shampoo every other day, but I wet my hair down every day and after each workout. This way, some of the sweat is washed away, but without stripping out the natural oils in my hair. Good luck!
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    No, I go mostly in the evenings, so if I had washed it the day before, I will wait until the following morning.

This! And also if I don't get too sweaty, I might wait another day, and just use dry shampoo!
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Wickedmeowmer Posts: 157
    Options
    I just rinse mine out with water if its super sweaty, sometimes a little extra conditioner in there.Usually wash 3-4 times a week.

I hate dry shampoo, it makes my hair feel even dirtier like greasy and chemicals combined.. I've tried treseme, dove and bumble. All ICK, can't get behind it.

So, yeah, quick rinse in luke warm water for me with a good scrub at my forehead (I have bangs)
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    I only wash my hair once every 5 days to a week...basically don't wash it until it looks oily and or doesn't smell like shampoo anymore. It's thick and wavy and has always been healthy unless I wash it too much then it gets frizzy.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nope, not at all.

I work out four to six times a week, and I'm a sweaty girl, but even so... I thoroughly rinse my hair daily, but all in all, I rarely wash it, regardless. Long or short, this is my routine and has been for some time - and I get a lot of compliments on the health of my hair and how nice I always smell, so it's not that I'm just gross :P
  • cgbourque
    cgbourque Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a friend who's been a hairdresser for 20 years now, and he gave me a few tips. He told me that the average woman should only be doing a full shampoo once a week. In between he recommends only using conditioner every other day, as conditioner is formulated to get rid of excess oils and residue from your hair and leave it soft. He also says once a month you should shampoo your hair with Sunlight dish detergent to strip it from built up hair products.