If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

Options
Hey everyone, just a quick question I've noticed.

If i eat breakfast in the morning, I'm hungry ALL morning til lunch! And after lunch I want to snack all day. This is whether or not I eat something light like an apple, or something heavy like eggs.

But if I don't eat breakfast and just have coffee with a bit of milk, I can work through the morning without being hungry. Then I'll eat a normal lunch and maybe an afternoon snack.

My company gives us lunch everyday, and it comes in from 11:30-12, so I do eat an early lunch. And I don't wake up til 7:30, so its not like I'm going all day without food or anything.

Any ideas? And do you think I'm hurting my body by not feeding it til lunch? I just eat less overall the days I don't have breakfast, so I'm thinking of eliminating it (just on the weekdays.)

Replies

• littlemoonsandy
    littlemoonsandy Posts: 1,930
    Options
    I have that issue, if i eat breakfast im starving to death an hour or two later..If i skip breakfast I don't feel hungry at all till lunch time..I don't know what to do about it....to eat or not to eat that is the question.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I am opposite......If I am hungry......I eat breakfast.........I normally don't.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, just a quick question I've noticed.

If i eat breakfast in the morning, I'm hungry ALL morning til lunch! And after lunch I want to snack all day. This is whether or not I eat something light like an apple, or something heavy like eggs.

But if I don't eat breakfast and just have coffee with a bit of milk, I can work through the morning without being hungry. Then I'll eat a normal lunch and maybe an afternoon snack.

My company gives us lunch everyday, and it comes in from 11:30-12, so I do eat an early lunch. And I don't wake up til 7:30, so its not like I'm going all day without food or anything.

Any ideas? And do you think I'm hurting my body by not feeding it til lunch? I just eat less overall the days I don't have breakfast, so I'm thinking of eliminating it (just on the weekdays.)

Breakfast used to make me hungrier, too. You should look into Intermittent Fasting (IF). There's a group here. I'm basically doing what you're doing.

I don't eat after dinner. (I usually eat around 8 or 9.) In the morning, I have a couple of cups of coffee with a small amount of skim. (Some people have black coffee or tea or water). I drink water if I want it until noon or 1. Then I resume eating. From the afternoon through dinner, I eat whatever number of calories I'm supposed to eat.

I've been doing IF for a few weeks, several times a week. I'm still adjusting, but I like it so far.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have that issue, if i eat breakfast im starving to death an hour or two later..If i skip breakfast I don't feel hungry at all till lunch time..I don't know what to do about it....to eat or not to eat that is the question.

Look into Intermittent Fasting. There's a group here.
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS had that same problem! I would love to hear what everyone else has to say!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    You're hungry because eating more often during the day raises your metabolism. That's why most diet plans have you eat more frequent but smaller meals. Just spread your calories out over 5 or 6 meals a day. Eat more protein and fiber as well to keep you gull longer.
  • RachaelT76
    RachaelT76 Posts: 26
    Options
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    skipping breakfast is fine, the metabolism stuff is a myth
  • gw4tpg
    gw4tpg Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi

I,m exactly the same as you, having breakfast seems to wake up my appetite and I definitely feel hungrier all morning.

Like you it works out better for me to just have a cup of coffee first thing then have my lunch about 12.

In fact I eat my "breakfast" about 8pm when i will have a bowl of mixed fruit and yoghurt, I would rather have the calories then, when i'm relaxing at home in the evening.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You can skip breakfast. it doesn't really matter.

However I do want to say that I had the same thing. Breakfast made me hungry all day, but that was because I was eating a ton of carbs for breakfast... Bagels, muffins, bread. I eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast and it doesn't cause my appetite to go out of control anymore.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Skip breakfast if that's best for your calorie control. I'm the same way.

It's not going to speed your metabolism by eating more often. That's been debunked.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I only eat if I'm hungry which I usually am... but I find that eating protein with some fat will keep me full a very long time.

Veggies & eggs with cheese or bacon
    Protein shake with coconut oil or ground flax
    Left over chicken or steak & avocado
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is what happens to me so I don't eat breakfast. I eat around 12-1 and then a later meal for dinner. The metabolism thing is a myth so you don't need to worry about not eating breakfast. The only reason you should eat three meals a day is if you have problems with your sugar intake or if you splurge and eat more than your amount of calories from being over-hungry. Besides that, you could eat all your calories in one sitting if you wanted to.
  • weightlosshippie
    weightlosshippie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, and do what works best for you. Everyone is different. You will know what to do if you're truly in tune with your body.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast? What you are consuming plays a big role in how hungry you get after!
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Try a breakfast that is high in protein and fat and low in carbs. This will keep your blood sugar stable and you will not be finding yourself hungry in a couple of hours.

The worst thing you can eat for breakfast is a muffin or toast and jam or other carb loaded food.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Coffee replaces enzymes in your brain making you feel like you have energy. That is why it curbs hunger. You should eat in the morning to replace the materials lost durning night time regeneration. At night your body burns alot of carbs and proteins rebuilding damaged tissues from the day before. When you wake up you should have both a carb and a starch. Oatmeal with fruit, or something like that. You should also have a bit of protein if you can squize it in/have time, such as eggs or peanut butter.

This will give your body something to work with to start the new day. You should actually eat most of your calories for breakfast and/or lunch (but even I dont' usually do that...unfortunately) so that you can burn through them during your busy time, and less at dinner as you are more sedentary in the evening.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Likewise! I do intermittent fasting for that reason and I love it!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thats because your not use to it and it's speeing up your metabolism. Breakfast is really important. And everyday should start out with a whole some breeakfast even if you start small with like a piece of toast and coffee. You'll notice after awhile you will like eating breakfast.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I will look into this! Never heard of it. I always read about the 5-6 meals a day, but that just makes me think about food too much and end up eating all day...and going way over my calories. I'm better sticking to a few bigger meals a day. Thanks for the tip!