If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    You have turned on your metabolism which is the only way you can lose weight. It is good that you are hungry and you need to eat. Have something small every time you are hungry. Smaller meals throughout the day is one of the keys to a healthy lifestyle.

/headdesk
  • 2monthstogo
    2monthstogo Posts: 23
    You aren't hungry because your body has been fasting all night. You don't need to eat the minute you get up, but within the first hour is usually recommended for consistant weight loss and management.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    I have the same problem. If I skip breakfast I can eat 1200-1500 calories with breakfast I eat more like 2,000. It makes me so hungry. I think i'm just going to stop skipping it. That or eating it and taking a crazy strong apatite suppressant.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    You aren't hungry because your body has been fasting all night. You don't need to eat the minute you get up, but within the first hour is usually recommended for consistant weight loss and management.
    SMDH
    I give up. OP you have some great answers that will point you in the right direction.
    Everyone else please feel free to sail off the end of the Earth. lol

But wear a scarf or you might catch the flu!

ETA: Also OP search the message boards - again you will find some excellent resources as well as peer reviewed studies to support what you are doing.
  • The response about eating more often raising your metabolism is correct. A breakfast heavy in protein, followed by one snack before lunch is a good, healthy routine. I have found it difficult to eat something that sticks with me long enough, but I finally found something that works GREAT for me. Lifetime Life Basics Chocolate Plant Protein is not only high in protein, low in carbs and sugar, all natural and great-tasting.... it sticks to my stomach better than anything ever has. I mix it up with 1.5 cups of Vanilla Silk Amond Milk and sometimes don't even need a mid-morning snack.

It comes out to about 210 calories... and I actually crave it so much I have it for dinner sometimes too.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

This

And your proof?

None of us has concrete proof but this works for me.

That's my point, there IS concrete proof that you don't need to eat breakfast.

If it works for you...that's seriously wonderful. I mean that...but just because it works for you doesn't mean it's necessary. On top of that, you don't even know for sure why it works for you (most often it's hunger control, not everyone gets hungry if they eat breakfast...usually it's people with naturally higher metabolic rates to begin with). That's why quoting a post perpetuating the antiquated belief that your metabolism slows down if you don't eat constantly...is actually hurting more people than it's helping.

Only if you believe fasting is a better route, which I don't.

It has nothing to do with fasting. It has everything to do with the proven way in which our body works. Breakfast isn't necessary.

Period.

Getting your total, healthy caloric needs met, IS important. When that happens is a non issue.

It's like arguin that the earth, is indeed flat...even though you've never been to the edge of it...because you personally have never been around it.
    The breakfast/meal frequency myth makes me want to punch someone in the face.
    Seriously do people not read any of the replies. Or any scientific data for that matter.

Its like being told you will catch a cold walking outside with wet hair.

OP I love IF. You don't need breakfast. You need responders that know what they are talking about.

and this just isn't true.

Again...show me one, single solitary shred of proof of this.

Wow. No where in there did anyone in there either look for or attempt to provide reference to the multiple studies and reports that have been published on this topic. There is tonnes of "proof" out there for someone who reads and keeps up to date on these topics. Just get Googling at the very least and you'll find lots of reports that scientifically support the claims that eating breakfast keeps your metabolism up, tends to keep you from pigging out later in the day, promotes daily healthy eating habbits, keeps your energy up so you have the will the exercise. There is TONNES of scientific support for these claims. I'm not citing them here, get Googling or read some nutrition literature, even magazines.
  • crisanderson27
    The response about eating more often raising your metabolism is correct.

Proof?

We've provided ample proof of the opposite. Miss BondBomb has a freaking biochem degree and disagrees with you.

So what makes you say that eating more often raises your metabolism...please?
  • crisanderson27
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

This

And your proof?

None of us has concrete proof but this works for me.

That's my point, there IS concrete proof that you don't need to eat breakfast.

If it works for you...that's seriously wonderful. I mean that...but just because it works for you doesn't mean it's necessary. On top of that, you don't even know for sure why it works for you (most often it's hunger control, not everyone gets hungry if they eat breakfast...usually it's people with naturally higher metabolic rates to begin with). That's why quoting a post perpetuating the antiquated belief that your metabolism slows down if you don't eat constantly...is actually hurting more people than it's helping.

Only if you believe fasting is a better route, which I don't.

It has nothing to do with fasting. It has everything to do with the proven way in which our body works. Breakfast isn't necessary.

Period.

Getting your total, healthy caloric needs met, IS important. When that happens is a non issue.

It's like arguin that the earth, is indeed flat...even though you've never been to the edge of it...because you personally have never been around it.
    The breakfast/meal frequency myth makes me want to punch someone in the face.
    Seriously do people not read any of the replies. Or any scientific data for that matter.

Its like being told you will catch a cold walking outside with wet hair.

OP I love IF. You don't need breakfast. You need responders that know what they are talking about.

and this just isn't true.

Again...show me one, single solitary shred of proof of this.

Wow. No where in there did anyone in there either look for or attempt to provide reference to the multiple studies and reports that have been published on this topic. There is tonnes of "proof" out there for someone who reads and keeps up to date on these topics. Just get Googling at the very least and you'll find lots of reports that scientifically support the claims that eating breakfast keeps your metabolism up, tends to keep you from pigging out later in the day, promotes daily healthy eating habbits, keeps your energy up so you have the will the exercise. There is TONNES of scientific support for these claims. I'm not citing them here, get Googling or read some nutrition literature, even magazines.

I'm sorry, but nutrition literature, and magazines don't count. I've spent HOURS and HOURS going over actual studies, and their supporting documentation, and not one of them proves any relation between breakfast, meal timing, metabolism, and health. The ONLY conclusion they could draw was that people who get up early, and eat breakfast, tend to have a lower bodyfat than people who don't. This has since been proven to be the result of DISCIPLINE, not the fact that they're eating breakfast. Even you made the same concession in your initial post.
    Normally I would cite the studies that show that people who skip breakfast tend to overeat later in the day. But if you're tracking your intake and are not overeating later in the day, then you don't really have to worry about it.

And for the record, I posted a website that is absolutely full of links to studies proving my point. Good thing that the OP went there and looked around too...or she might be falling for the same nutritional myth that so many others fall for.

Again, meal timing has ZERO impact on metabolism. It has been proven in fact, that NOT eating for up to 24hrs, INCREASES your metabolic rate. How can this be true, if the only way to keep your metabolism going 'full speed' is to eat multiple times a day?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member

Proof?

We've provided ample proof of the opposite. Miss BondBomb has a freaking biochem degree and disagrees with you.

Chris I will learn like the rest of the MFP old-schoolers not to bother arguing these threads anymore. Notice they don't even waste time commenting?
    Anyone with a simple understanding of human biochem would understand that unless you are insulin sensitive (which MOST people are not) then digestion itself would have to increase metabolism for breakfast to have an impact on metabolism. And since every scientist on the planet knows that digestion burns minimal (and I mean MINIMAL) calories and is already factored in to your BMR - which at the LOWEST is typically 1200 calories/ per day. Common sense and basic mathmatics would tell you that digestion would have to burn signifigant calories in order to increase your metabolism. Which again has been proven false.
    So to everyone that believes that meal frequency and timing play an important role in actual metabolism, I have a simple test for you.
    Go buy a bodyfit. Wear it one day and only eat 2-3 meals and measure your TDEE. Then with the same activity level have 5-6 meals the next day (including breakfast of course). If one person can prove to me that there is any difference at all I will pay for your oldest child's college education (Biochemistry major of course),
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    @bondbomb
    The problem is people want to believe what they've always been told...It's insulting and makes you feel stupid when you find out that what you have always been told/believed is wrong. I get that.

As a fellow science educated person, you have been taught to question everything (I'm chemical engineering, not biochem but the concept is the same). So how do you, a questioner, communicate to a believer that their belief is wrong? You provide studies. If they don't bite, let them believe what makes them feel good. Que sera sera.
  • crisanderson27

Proof?

Chris I will learn like the rest of the MFP old-schoolers not to bother arguing these threads anymore. Notice they don't even waste time commenting?
    Anyone with a simple understanding of human biochem would understand that unless you are insulin sensitive (which MOST people are not) then digestion itself would have to increase metabolism for breakfast to have an impact on metabolism. And since every scientist on the planet knows that digestion burns minimal (and I mean MINIMAL) calories and is already factored in to your BMR - which at the LOWEST is typically 1200 calories/ per day. Common sense and basic mathmatics would tell you that digestion would have to burn signifigant calories in order to increase your metabolism. Which again has been proven false.
    So to everyone that believes that meal frequency and timing play an important role in actual metabolism, I have a simple test for you.
    Go buy a bodyfit. Wear it one day and only eat 2-3 meals and measure your TDEE. Then with the same activity level have 5-6 meals the next day (including breakfast of course). If one person can prove to me that there is any difference at all I will pay for your oldest child's college education (Biochemistry major of course),
    @bondbomb
    The problem is people want to believe what they've always been told...It's insulting and makes you feel stupid when you find out that what you have always been told/believed is wrong. I get that.

As a fellow science educated person, you have been taught to question everything (I'm chemical engineering, not biochem but the concept is the same). So how do you, a questioner, communicate to a believer that their belief is wrong? You provide studies. If they don't bite, let them believe what makes them feel good. Que sera sera.

:flowerforyou: to you both.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Thanks for all your help! I'm pretty skeptical in general so this makes a lot of sense to me. So much "old wisdom" isn't true I've found, it sounds like listening to your body is what's best and in general I'm a big proponent of that. I'm definitely going to look into IF.
    SMDH
    I give up. OP you have some great answers that will point you in the right direction.
    Everyone else please feel free to sail off the end of the Earth. lol

But wear a scarf or you might catch the flu!

ETA: Also OP search the message boards - again you will find some excellent resources as well as peer reviewed studies to support what you are doing.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    I have the same problem.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    you need to eat a mid morning snack to keep sugar levels right, eat a hearty protein breakfast like eggs or oatmeal, then have mid morning snack, with some fruit, a protein shake or yogurt, as you should eat 6 small meals instead of 3 big ones, sugar levels get all bonkers
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    I'm not a big morning eater, but I started eating something small (~300 cal) in the mornings before I workout. Just never really considered that I could workout without food.

So question for crisanderson2, since you seem to be the most knowledgable on this subject: Am I going to experience any negative side effects if I don't eat before I workout? I usually wake about 6:30am, and get to the track at 9:30am to run 5k before strength training for 30-45 minutes. I have to be super picky about my breakfast because I get cramps very easily, it would be super if I could just skip that step.

The problem with substantial amounts of cardio, is that it very heavily depletes the glycogen stored in your muscles, which DOES need to be maintained, or your body will end up eating its own lean mass instead of bodyfat. If it were me, I'd do my strength traiing in the AM (with a short, 5-10 minute moderate to high intensity cardio warmup), and any cardio in the evening after I'd taken the time to eat. Most people recommend heavy cardio on totally different days than strength training, partially for this reason.

With two little people underfoot, I workout in the mornings during preschool hours because that's the only time I can. I'm trying to wean away from the heavy cardio (it was only within the past two months that I started splitting my time evenly with strength training), but there's just something about that 45 minutes on the track that keeps me sane.
    Oh well, at least now I won't feel guilty for skipping breakfast on the days that I'm not running.

This has been very interesting (if a bit frustrating with the responders that obviously didn't bother to read through the comments) to follow, thank you for all of the great information, and thanks to all for keeping it polite and on topic :)
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    I don't care what any fitness or health guru says, I DEFINITELY eat more throughout the day if I eat breakfast. Say I eat porridge at 8am... I'm really hungry again by 10.

EDIT: I do, however, tend to have a little something at around 10-11am, usually, an apple, grapefruit or toast.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    skipping breakfast is fine, the metabolism stuff is a myth

Personally, I've always been a breakfast eater and don't function well without it. But that's ME, and this is about YOU. Without reading through pages and pages of responses, I have to agree with the above comment from UponThisRock.

If eating breakfast doesn't work for you at this time, don't do it. If after months of observing/noting what your body is doing (hunger signals, are you losing weight/gaining weight, etc)...if you think eating breakfast will be helpful to you, try it. The worst that happens is that you go back to skipping breakfast. Lots of people do it and have no weight issues. :glasses:
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    If it doesn't work for you, don't eat it! I just go by how I feel when I wake up in the morning.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    I never use to even eat breakfast, sometimes the first thing I ate was literally a bag of hot cheetos and a candy bar.
    NOW, I eat breakfast and eat more proper. I have either eggs, cereals or oatmeal for breakfast daily.
    AND YES! I do find myself gettin hungry still, but what I do is: its about "CONTROL"...

I eat my morning breakfast 8am
    mid morning snack 10am
    lunch 12pm
    mid afternoon snack 3pm
    dinner 5pm or 6pm
    evening snack 7pm or 8pm
    Thats what everyday looks like for me and you have to be Consistent. Ur body will be trained and it will love u for this and no more hunger pains for me!!!! I also eat around 1900 per day, no more and no less.. My body is fueled all day long.. :) and Im losing weight again the healthy way.
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    I am not a breakfast person either, so I put a scoop of my chocolate protein powder into my coffee...kills 2 birds with one stone, and it tastes pretty good...not like a real mocha but it's better than plain coffee. :)