If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

Options

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Same here! I often find myself skipping breakfast and then having a big, fat protein shake after my workout (for lunch). Then a snack, then supper, and another snack in the evening if I'm hungry. I find that I feel better after a workout if I skip breakfast and go straight for the workout, too...

I don't pass on my coffee in the morning though, even if I don't have breakfast.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Same problem! I thought it was the carb thing, I was most often eating weight control (fiber enriched) oatmeal. I switched to just hard boiled eggs and still struggled with hunger. Now I'm just having a piece of fruit around 930 or 10 am and I feel great all day. I have seen studies that suggest people who are most sucessful with permanant weight loss do eat breakfast. I wonder if it may be that people who eat breakfast are also more likely to (???? something else, like go to bed earlier, snack less at night, etc) and it is really that thing that makes them successful. IDK.

No, it's that people who are DETERMINED to lose weight and keep it off, have been force fed the myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People who are disciplined enough to get up early and eat a healthy breakfast, are generally disciplined enough to maintain a healthy caloric intake.

Plain and simple.

Go look at the IF group on this board. Virtually every person on there is sub 20% bodyfat. Not a single one of us eats 6 meals a day...and very few eat before 1pm.

Another example....

www.leangains.com

That guy maintains a sub 10% bodyfat level, and doesn't eat breakfast, ever.

Food timing is a myth. It's been proven. Read the studies people, stop spouting opinions based on someone elses opinion based on antiquated dietary propaganda.
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    skipping breakfast is fine, the metabolism stuff is a myth
    I don't know about that...since a lot of MFP'ers can attest that "eating more to weigh less" has WORKED for them.

if not the metabolism thing, then what?
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options
    I don't know about that...since a lot of MFP'ers can attest that "eating more to weigh less" has WORKED for them.

Eating more=1800 calories vs. 1200 calories. It doesn't mean more OFTEN. I eat a good 1800 to 2000 calories (or more if I exercise a lot)... I just do it in fewer "meals" than some do.
  • rockinright
    Options
    You can skip breakfast. it doesn't really matter.

However I do want to say that I had the same thing. Breakfast made me hungry all day, but that was because I was eating a ton of carbs for breakfast... Bagels, muffins, bread. I eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast and it doesn't cause my appetite to go out of control anymore.

^^^ THIS

I have the same thing - my breakfast has to be high in protein and low in carbs. If I have yogurt, eggs, or even a little bacon, I'm OK. If it's something like cereal or my occasional treat of pancakes or waffles, I'm ravenous by 10:30.

However, I do better overall eating SOMETHING for breakfast. I also seem to be OK having higher carbs later in the day...
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Same problem! I thought it was the carb thing, I was most often eating weight control (fiber enriched) oatmeal. I switched to just hard boiled eggs and still struggled with hunger. Now I'm just having a piece of fruit around 930 or 10 am and I feel great all day. I have seen studies that suggest people who are most sucessful with permanant weight loss do eat breakfast. I wonder if it may be that people who eat breakfast are also more likely to (???? something else, like go to bed earlier, snack less at night, etc) and it is really that thing that makes them successful. IDK.

No, it's that people who are DETERMINED to lose weight and keep it off, have been force fed the myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. People who are disciplined enough to get up early and eat a healthy breakfast, are generally disciplined enough to maintain a healthy caloric intake.

Plain and simple.

Go look at the IF group on this board. Virtually every person on there is sub 20% bodyfat. Not a single one of us eats 6 meals a day...and very few eat before 1pm.

Another example....

www.leangains.com

That guy maintains a sub 10% bodyfat level, and doesn't eat breakfast, ever.

Food timing is a myth. It's been proven. Read the studies people, stop spouting opinions based on someone elses opinion based on antiquated dietary propaganda.

Good post, wish people would drop this myth. But magazines, supplment, and food companies dont endorse this becuase it doesnt sell products. Telling people to eat more and more often sells better then telling people to skip a meal, and eat less.
  • Livin_Large
    Livin_Large Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I find a breakfast high in protein helps.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options

I don't think the timing matters so much as your intake over time. If I skip breakfast i usually make up the missing calories later in the day for the same result.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Eating more=1800 calories vs. 1200 calories. It doesn't mean more OFTEN. I eat a good 1800 to 2000 calories (or more if I exercise a lot)... I just do it in fewer "meals" than some do.

Exactly! Eat more food, don't eat more often.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    The breakfast/meal frequency myth makes me want to punch someone in the face.
    Seriously do people not read any of the replies. Or any scientific data for that matter.

Its like being told you will catch a cold walking outside with wet hair.

OP I love IF. You don't need breakfast. You need responders that know what they are talking about.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

This
  • The_new_Amy
    The_new_Amy Posts: 29
    Options
    I drink 32 oz of water within the first hour of waking and find that I am not hungry until about 10:30 (I wake at 6:00). I usually have a green smootie or protein shake then and lunch around 1:00 PM.

I find that when I eat breakfast, which is usually eggs and veggies, I am hungry all morning as well.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

This

And your proof?
  • rockinright
    Options

Exactly! Eat more food, don't eat more often.

Not a problem for me, but I was curious. I don't worry much myself about the timing...and in fact, if my wife and I are planning a dinner out where we know the calories are going to be on the wrong side of 1000 for the meal, we both eat VERY light for breakfast and lunch, basically just to avoid being starving the whole day. Doesn't seem to hurt us as long as the daily totals are OK.

In fact, some people say that as long as on a WEEK TO WEEK basis your calories match up, that you'll lose weight, even if some days you're 300 over and other days you're 300 under.
  • johnstegeman
    johnstegeman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat something for breakfast because people say I should. Usually something less than 200 calories. Really doesn't matter though if weight loss is the only goal. Under the calorie count means you will lose weight.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options

This

And your proof?

None of us has concrete proof but this works for me.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    Options

This

Oh. Good. Grief.
  • Pakitalian
    Pakitalian Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    BUMP to read later. Because the SAME thing happens to me when I eat breakfast! I get hungry!!!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

This

And your proof?

That's my point, there IS concrete proof that you don't need to eat breakfast.

If it works for you...that's seriously wonderful. I mean that...but just because it works for you doesn't mean it's necessary. On top of that, you don't even know for sure why it works for you (most often it's hunger control, not everyone gets hungry if they eat breakfast...usually it's people with naturally higher metabolic rates to begin with). That's why quoting a post perpetuating the antiquated belief that your metabolism slows down if you don't eat constantly...is actually hurting more people than it's helping.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

This

And your proof?

And how exactly have you measured you metabolism increase before and after breakfast to make that conclusion?