Running vs Jogging

Options
BAMFMeredith
BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
Is there some magical speed at which jogging becomes running?

I've read a bunch of posts about "just jogging" or whatever, and I'm a bit confused. I feel like they're the same thing. I've been going along this whole time calling myself a "runner" but since I run slowly, does that mean I'm not legit, and I'm merely a "jogger?"

I'm interested to hear the opinion from not only hardcore runners but people like myself and people just getting into running. Do you differentiate? I mean...if I run 10 miles as fast as I can run for 10 miles, is it jogging because I'm not faster or what? I'm a bit confused on this one...

Replies

• jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    mostly just a bump. I'm a slow and steady kinda jogger, er, runner, er.... The only reason I really care what the generally accepted definition is because I'm training for a obstacle race and the training guide says you should be able to "RUN, NOT JOG" 3 miles. What exactly does that mean?
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I think it is qualified by a certain speed. I use a Garmin, and when it generates a graph of my performance, there are zones that say walk, fast walk, jog, run. I was disappointed to see that my pace was always just a jog. Go ahead and call it what you want though. I am still a runner..... I won't call myself a jogger :wink:
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    mostly just a bump. I'm a slow and steady kinda jogger, er, runner, er.... The only reason I really care what the generally accepted definition is because I'm training for a obstacle race and the training guide says you should be able to "RUN, NOT JOG" 3 miles. What exactly does that mean?

See, I have no idea what that even means. I can run 3 miles, no problem, but since I'm not fast would that be considered jogging?
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I think it is qualified by a certain speed. I use a Garmin, and when it generates a graph of my performance, there are zones that say walk, fast walk, jog, run. I was disappointed to see that my pace was always just a jog. Go ahead and call it what you want though. I am still a runner..... I won't call myself a jogger :wink:

I know on the treadmills at my gym it has "Quick Pace" buttons that say "2mph walk" "4mph jog" "6mph run"....and I fall into the grey area there...

I've completed 3 half marathons...I think I can call myself a runner too!
  • bigtwagner
    bigtwagner Posts: 113
    Options
    For me, jogging vs running is all up to the individual. when i run at my usual pace, i consider that running. Anytime that i purposely run slower than my usual speed, i consider that a jog. That's just me.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    There was a thread the other day about this but I can't find it now. To me running and jogging are one in the same. You are moving yourself forward at a faster pace. I'm a runner. Am I fast? Absolutely not. Will I ever be? I doubt it with my 5'1 1/2 inch frame and short legs but I could care less.
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham
  • MissJoaniB
    MissJoaniB Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heard in the debate of running or jogging, that running is faster jogging with races.

That said, I would hesitate to say 'just jogging', because every time I see someone out on the paths, working on whatever they're shooting for (weight loss, race prep, or just getting healthier), I feel like cheering them on. It wasn't too long ago that I couldn't run 5 minutes without needing to walk, so I appreciate when people are making the same effort I did!
  • elliottjane
    elliottjane Posts: 37
    Options
    For me, jogging vs running is all up to the individual. when i run at my usual pace, i consider that running. Anytime that i purposely run slower than my usual speed, i consider that a jog. That's just me.

I agree with this^. If I'm giving it my all, that's running. If I slow down to catch my breath (purposely run slower), that's what I'd consider jogging. It's up to you and your own pace. Depends on how much you exert yourself I guess.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    To Run - To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

To Jog - To run or ride at a steady slow trot

In the same breath, who cares the label, you are getting out there for you and feeling good about it! Whatever the speed!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham

Gotta love The Penguin! As far as I'm concerned, if you're going faster than a walk, you're running.
  • sugar_cube
    sugar_cube Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe it depends on the individual. For me running is about the length of the stride, the speed, how high my leg is ect.

When i jog my leg isn't lifting all that high, my speed is slower, my strides aren't long. When i run all that changes.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    To Run - To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

To Jog - To run or ride at a steady slow trot

In the same breath, who cares the label, you are getting out there for you and feeling good about it! Whatever the speed!

That makes total sense. I am jogger.
  • El_Rapido
    El_Rapido Posts: 136
    Options

^^^^ This ^^^^^

I hate the term "jogging". A runner is someone who runs, end of.
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Gotta love The Penguin! As far as I'm concerned, if you're going faster than a walk, you're running.

I trained for a half marathon with Team in Training (The Penguin came and talked to us) and the coach used to always correct me when I said I was jogging he said NO you are a runner
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I agree. I see running as moving at a pace that you cannot go faster than over the distance you are trying to cover. Whereas I see jogging more as a warm-up or when you just go at an easy pace for the fun of it.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options

I agree with this.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    yup
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I am doing C25K. There are times I am walking. Anytime I am not walking I consider that running. Some days are faster than others. But it is still running.

Or at least that's what I tell myself to get me to the next day :ohwell: :wink:
  • PhoebeC123
    PhoebeC123 Posts: 28
    Options
    There was a thread the other day about this but I can't find it now. To me running and jogging are one in the same. You are moving yourself forward at a faster pace. I'm a runner. Am I fast? Absolutely not. Will I ever be? I doubt it with my 5'1 1/2 inch frame and short legs but I could care less.

I'm sorry, I just have to pull you up there. This man perfectly sums up my problem..
    Please Americans. WATCH THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw&ob=av3e