• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    A "jogger" is a runner with low self-esteem. :laugh:
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    According to my husband

Jogging is what he does when someone slow is chasing him.

Running is what he does when someone fast is chasing him. He's a smart *kitten*.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    yeah I agree with everyone who says they are the same, But I looked it up anyway
    Jog jog
    verb \ˈjäg, ˈjȯg\
    joggedjog·ging
    Definition of JOG
    transitive verb
    : to give a slight shake or push to : nudge
    : to rouse to alertness <jogged his memory>
    : to cause (as a horse) to go at a jog
    : to align the edges of (piled sheets of paper) by hitting or shaking against a flat surface
    intransitive verb
    : to move up and down or about with a short heavy motion <his … holster jogging against his hip — Thomas Williams>
    a : to run or ride at a slow trot

Run
    1run
    verb \ˈrən\
    ran also chiefly dialect runrunrun·ning
    Definition of RUN
    intransitive verb
    a : to go faster than a walk; specifically : to go steadily by springing steps so that both feet leave the ground for an instant in each step b of a horse : to move at a fast gallop c : flee, retreat, escape <dropped the gun and ran> d : to utilize a running play on offense —used of a football team
    a : to go without restraint : move freely about at will <let chickens run loose> b : to keep company : consort <a ram running with ewes> <ran with a wild crowd when he was young> c : to sail before the wind in distinction from reaching or sailing close-hauled d : roam, rove <running about with no overcoat>
    a : to go rapidly or hurriedly : hasten <run and fetch the doctor> b : to go in urgency or distress : resort <runs to mother at every little difficulty> c : to make a quick, easy, or casual trip or visit <ran over to borrow some sugar>
    a : to contend in a race b : to enter into an election contest <will run for mayor>
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I'm primarily a walker... but I have blazed by people who are running (while I am still walking). I would call those people 'joggers'. The person might look like they're running - but if I can pass them at a walk - they're not really running. LOL
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    To me - running is the activity. If you're doing something more than a walk, where at some point both feet are off the ground, you're running.
    Jogging vs. running is speed related. Jogging/running/sprinting - same activity, basically, just different speeds.
  • LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm reading a book called Marathoning for Mortals (probably a lot of people have read it, but it's new to me).

I'm sure there is a "technical" distinction with speed. But the distinction they draw is intention. Do you have an aim or goal in mind? A target heart rate? A specific time/distance goal? Are you training to reach whatever your goal is? Then you're a "running" as a sport, rather than "jogging" which is still completely legitimate as a fitness activity but generally there isn't the same focused training goal.

Does that make sense?

That's how I regard it. Both are legitimate and good for you.

Speedwise... I'm definitely a "jogger", but I'm working my a** off training for a half marathon so I consider myself a "runner"
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    A "jogger" is a runner with low self-esteem. :laugh:

LOL ^^^ :love:
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    When I think of running, I think of the HS kids who run the long distance races...crazy *kitten*...LOL
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    According to my husband

Jogging is what he does when someone slow is chasing him.

Running is what he does when someone fast is chasing him. He's a smart *kitten*.

I run when chasing pretty girls, and jog when they are chasing me. :laugh:

Sadly, the former ends up with a mace incident, and the latter has never happened. :sad:
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's completely an individual thing. Whatever you want to call yourself is what you are.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It's completely an individual thing. Whatever you want to call yourself is what you are.

WHATEVER I want to call myself? So, if I were to call myself "Meredith, a runner, who is the most incredibly awesome and attractive person on the face of the earth" that would be what I am? You, sir, have just given me new perspective.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham

Gotta love The Penguin! As far as I'm concerned, if you're going faster than a walk, you're running.

^^This! If you run, you are a runner. If you are running distances of 10 miles, you are definitely a runner!! No jogger is running those distances.

A jogger to me is someone who will go around the block a couple times just to get out of the house on a nice day.

A runner is someone who commits themselves to it, several days a week, puts in the long distances, and maybe has a goal of entering a race one day or continuing to race to improve performance.

I was a runner from Day 1. I was very slow then, but I was a runner. Now, I'm a bit faster, but never once did I think I was a jogger.
  • sugar_cube
    sugar_cube Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I think of running, I think of the HS kids who run the long distance races...crazy *kitten*...LOL
    see i think of sprinters or middle distance when i think of running. But I consider people that do long distance races runners too.

So for me i guess distance plays a part. If I did a marathon at 6mph, I'd consider that running. But if I did a mile at 6mph, I'd consider that a jog because I could go faster.

Oh and I don't really consider people joggers. Probably because i've never heard anyone call themselves a jogger.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If both feet leave the ground at the same time at any.point in the stride, it's running. If a foot is always in contact with the ground during the stride, it's walking. Speed doesn't matter, only biomechanics. Physiologically, there is no such thing as "jogging".
  • MrS1965
    MrS1965 Posts: 16
    Options
    I think it all depends on the individual for example - Paula Radcliffe runs at round 5 min mile she is running and recovering running at round 7-8 min mile jogging - Myself run at 7min mile and recover at 9-10 min mile jogging!:smile:
  • shoegal517
    shoegal517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I run a 12 minute mile on the treadmill... so prob most would call me a jogger, but I've worked too hard for that ish so I call myself a runner...ha!
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Personally I always say I went "jogging" because I don't want some hard-*kitten* runner to say I wasn't going fast enough to qualify as running, haha. But yes, I'm very interested to see the answers as well.

From Dictionary.com
    JOG
    verb (used without object)
    7.to run at a leisurely, slow pace, especially as an outdoor exercise: He jogs two miles every morning to keep in shape.
    8.to run or ride at a steady trot: They jogged to the stable.

RUN
    verb (used without object)
    1.to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground.2.
    to move with haste; act quickly: Run upstairs and get the iodine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ditto on definition containing the intent of the activity, especially compared to what you could do.

You can run 10 min/mile, but on a recovery day, you purposely go slow and jog 12 min/mile.

Most folks I'm around that are not runners, get the difference if I mentioned I jogged around the park. Could have been 10 miles, much slower pace than normal or possible, hence me saying jog. They seem to get it wasn't intense like a run.

But I ran 3 miles this morning before work - that has an intensity to it and sounds like it.

That being said, I use my time for jogging right now, it's always for recovery from biking I enjoy more, but I need the bone-density building time.
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    anything other than a walk.... I consider running... just different speeds of running....
  • WendySue75
    WendySue75 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have heard in the debate of running or jogging, that running is faster jogging with races.

That said, I would hesitate to say 'just jogging', because every time I see someone out on the paths, working on whatever they're shooting for (weight loss, race prep, or just getting healthier), I feel like cheering them on. It wasn't too long ago that I couldn't run 5 minutes without needing to walk, so I appreciate when people are making the same effort I did!
    This is so funny I too am their own personal cheering squad, even if they don't know it I usually say aloud... not so they can hear me, stuff like; you go girl, or good for them.... I sometimes wanna yell that out the window, or honk, but then they may think i fall into the creeper status LMBO I think, because I know what it is to be running, I too can appreciate their effort!!