Running vs Jogging

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    No there is no set speed. Go by heart rate. Easy run 70% of max, hard run 85% of max. Simple.
  • cbeckl
    cbeckl Posts: 79
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham

^^This :smile: If you aren't walking, you're running! Am I going to win my half-marathon or marathon races?? Never! But I am damn sure I'm runner!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a runner as everytime I run I'm trying to do better than the last. I'm pushing myself to go a certain distance in under a certain time everytime I step out the door. I'm always racing.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    For me, jogging vs running is all up to the individual. when i run at my usual pace, i consider that running. Anytime that i purposely run slower than my usual speed, i consider that a jog. That's just me.
    I would agree with this. I just started running a bit this week. I went for two runs, but I will say I was jogging, not running as fast as I could. I did this because it's the first time I'm running in a long time, and I didn't want to push it. Also, Map My Run showed my running pace as just about the same as my walking pace!! So I know I wasn't all-out running (although I do walk fast).

Anyway, I think it's individual. I've been jogging this week. I hope to be running in a few weeks, once my body is ready to go a little faster.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is there some magical speed at which jogging becomes running?

Nope.

I went for the world's slowest run yesterday, and I think at the time if anyone had told me I was jogging, I would have punched them in the damn face.
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” - John Bingham

Gotta love The Penguin! As far as I'm concerned, if you're going faster than a walk, you're running.

^^This! If you run, you are a runner. If you are running distances of 10 miles, you are definitely a runner!! No jogger is running those distances.

A jogger to me is someone who will go around the block a couple times just to get out of the house on a nice day.

A runner is someone who commits themselves to it, several days a week, puts in the long distances, and maybe has a goal of entering a race one day or continuing to race to improve performance.

I was a runner from Day 1. I was very slow then, but I was a runner. Now, I'm a bit faster, but never once did I think I was a jogger.

^THIS. I am a runner. Now, that said, even at my fastest, my little legs aren't going to keep up with a 6ft dude. But I don't base running vs. jogging on speed alone. I think it's about effort and exertion and how much that person is putting in. I don't usually run full out speed because I know to pace myself- that's how I got through a marathon a month ago without stopping or walking. So yeah, I'm not super fast but I'm a runner NOT a jogger.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A "jogger" is a runner with low self-esteem. :laugh:

Agreed. :happy:
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    At my gym there are 3 'autospeed' buttons on the treadmille: 3kmph (1.8mph) which is the 'walk'; 6kmph (3.72mph) which is the 'jog' and 9kmph (5.6mph) which is the 'run'. I think they're technically the bottom level of each but I think they're meant to be the boundaries. I used to do what I felt was running at 7kmph and now I run at 10.5kmph! It's all relative to the speed you feel you're going.

The only time it has ever been an issue for me was at the beginning of my most recent 10km where they didn't have time signs to split people they had 'runners' 'joggers' 'walkers' and I had NO idea where I fell - apparently it was quite easily into the running section haha.

If you feel like a runner - you are a runner in my opinion :) Who cares what anyone else thinks! :D
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    A "jogger" is a runner with low self-esteem. :laugh:

Agreed. :happy:

I totally agree too! :laugh:
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The other day, I was out running and someone turned onto the path ahead of me. He looked like he was just jogging along, definitely taking it easy, so I thought, "I'll just catch up to him." Turns out, his jog was significantly faster than my run.

Jogging is just a sub-category of running. It's the slow end, and it's individual. I call myself a jogger, because most runners get injured. I do most of my runs at a very easy pace. Still, if I pass you, that doesn't mean that you're not running.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If both feet leave the ground at the same time at any.point in the stride, it's running. If a foot is always in contact with the ground during the stride, it's walking. Speed doesn't matter, only biomechanics. Physiologically, there is no such thing as "jogging".

^Yes! Jogging always reminds me of Anchorman. When Ron says "Yogging, I think the j is silent."
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a runner as everytime I run I'm trying to do better than the last. I'm pushing myself to go a certain distance in under a certain time everytime I step out the door. I'm always racing.

This may sound counter-intuitive, but this is not the way to become a better, faster runner. You have to slow down to get faster. The base level is aerobic fitness, which you gain by running at 75% to 85% of Max HR. Going balls out every time you run will end up hurting you in the long run, literally and figuratively.
  • blood6338
    blood6338 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know someone who says "the difference between a runner and a jogger is an entry form".. works for me!

I read somewhere (which I can't find now of course) that as soon as you start timing yourself or training for a race then you are a runner. Personally though I feel it's just two words meaning the same thing. It really has nothing to do with the speed of the runner or the distance. I know there are people that run 100 mile ultramarathons and there is no way they maintain an 8 minute mile but I'm not going to tell them they aren't a runner because they didn't run at a certain pace.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

This may sound counter-intuitive, but this is not the way to become a better, faster runner. You have to slow down to get faster. The base level is aerobic fitness, which you gain by running at 75% to 85% of Max HR. Going balls out every time you run will end up hurting you in the long run, literally and figuratively.

What's up. I knew my half dead zombie lope yesterday was going to make me a better runner. :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I never jog.
    I stopped jogging the day I became a runner. I walk or run. I can run incredibly slow when I have to.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    If I would differentiate, when I "jog", it's easy. Conversational pace, and when I am done I feel like I got a good, easy workout. "Easy runs" are more like jogs IMO.

My faster effort workouts are "runs". The labored breathing, pushing harder, sore the next day, etc.

I usually just call everything a run though - it's either easy, long, tempo, interval, etc.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

What's up. I knew my half dead zombie lope yesterday was going to make me a better runner. :)

You better believe it. My easy run pace is over 3:00 per mile slower than my 5K pace.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I view the difference between running and jogging to be a very subjective one.

Some people say the difference between a runner and a jogger is a race entry, some say it's a certain speed.

I'm slow as hell... Just did a half marathon with a 12:30 minute/mile pace. Some may call that jogging, but to me that was running and I loved every minute.

My advice- don't worry about if you're considered a runner or a jogger. Focus on paying attention to your body and enjoying your time running/jogging. The point is that you're moving your body and making it stronger.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

That's how I used to run, but I've learned in the last year that it's not the best way to improve. Now, I do most of my runs at a "jog" effort. This allows me to run farther and more often with less risk of injury, which has increased my aerobic fitness exponentially. About one year into this new training method, my "jog" is faster than I was racing over long distances.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You can walk at a 4mph pace or you can jog/run at a 4mph pace, its a different type of movement though. Jogging/running have that "hop" in them.

Labels are for the birds anyway... some people wouldn't consider me a runner because I barely finished my half marathon in under 3:00:00, that's a 13:00/mi pace, super slow. But its faster than the guy sitting on the couch, so I'll go ahead and call myself a runner.