• Hiawassee88
    Hiawassee88 Posts: 35,754 Member
    Options
    7nk46p76agcc.jpg
  • Hiawassee88
    Options
    Tom Murphy, "Never Ruin A Bear's Nap"

I think the perception of loneliness has to do with a feeling about wanting to be around other people. I like people a lot. But I find nature, particularly wild country, the most honest, clean and interesting thing I've ever encountered.
    It's not a matter of being lonely; it's a matter of being intrigued.

HOW DO YOU HANDLE THOSE CLOSE CALLS?
    What do you typically do if you find yourself in that situation?

Tom: Your blood pressure goes up pretty fast. But the main thing is, figure out right away how to get away from there. And of course, you never run away. That's the worst thing you can do. It's a trigger, basically, to have them follow you. But, get away as fast as you can, keeping in mind, what is the problem?

Why are they upset? If you just woke them up, most of them will just take off, run away and leave you alone. You've ruined their nap, but they're gone. They just want you to go away. They're called bluff charges. What they're doing is running at you to make you run away.

WHAT DO YOU SEEK OUT IN YELLOWSTONE?

Tom: I travel under the precept of serendipity. There's always something going on out there. And I try not to get too obsessive about seeing something or experiencing something specific. And although I know the seasons and what happens in different seasons, and all the seasonal rounds, they call them, of wildlife—the cycles of flowers and snow and that sort of thing—there's beautiful stuff everywhere, all the time. Basically what I'm frustrated with is I can't be in 63 different places at the same time. So I just look for whatever I find, whatever catches my eye.

WHY DOES WINTER DRAW YOU TO THE PARK?
    Tom: Winter is more of an elemental time. It's the limiting factor of most animals—lack of food and the cold and the rigors of surviving in that basic environment. And then, plus, the landscape is changed completely, covered with two to three to five, ten feet of snow. The place doesn't look the same. So I find it really intriguing and interesting how it radically changes. I grew up on a cattle ranch in the snow, too, so I'm comfortable when it's cold. So I'm not afraid to be out there, but I'm also aware of the difference between the Yellowstone that most people are familiar with, and then the winter Yellowstone.

HAVE YOU SEEN WOLVERINES?
    Well I know another animal that really depends on heavy snowpack is the wolverine, but these are creatures that most people don't see in their lifetimes. Have you come across a wolverine?

Tom: I've seen their tracks a couple of times. It's all in Yellowstone Park. I've never seen one in the wild. That is probably the single most keystone species, I would say, that defines wild land. If you've got wolverines, that's really wild country. Yellowstone Park Foundation did a survey, a five-year program to study wolverines in Yellowstone Park, and they only found three in the entire park. I can't imagine there are more than 50 in all of Montana and Wyoming.

It's easy for a lot of people to say, well, it's not important because there's not very many of them, and how is the world going to be worse off without a wolverine? Someone said one time, "It's a loneliness of spirit without all these creatures." Even if people never see one, the world's a better place if they're here.

gc4t7wqlx9fc.png
    Probably the only one we'll ever see in our lifetime.
  • Hiawassee88
    edited April 2022
    Options
    ofbycj7qfyfy.png

• Hiawassee88
    Options
    99qo5hnik83m.png
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    @snowflake954 Had to call the popo. I went out to the cemetery and two big men approached my truck as I was decorating. They were on foot. I left my purse on the seat but the truck was locked. They were checking the doors and looking through the window. I ran towards them and they ran for the entrance. Holy Crap. I didn't hesitate. I drove down the road but they ducked into the bushes. 5150, called the popo. They're going over there.

[img]https: //c.tenor.com/5WFqUymsJQcAAAAC/cute-smile.gif[/img]

The times, they are a changing. I've seen so many cars parked on the street in Rome with a window bashed in. You never leave anything in sight. They will break in to get it. In small towns you feel safe. Sad that that's not so. You were lucky they ran. Stay safe.