5'5" Down to 139.6 from 183 w/pictures (caution long story)

Options
softballsharie
softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
Hey everyone! My name is Sharie, and this is my success story. I posted it a while ago, and I wanted to update it and repost based on my more recent progress. I am 4 lbs. away from my goal weight and loving it. I couldn't have come this far without this website and the amazing people on it. So, without further ado, I bring you my success story haha :

About 8 months ago, I hit what I hope would be my rock bottom in life. I weighed the heaviest I ever did, I wasn't in school because I had to withdraw for a back injury, and my hours at work were minimal. On top of all of this, was the thing I was least proud of. From a surgery I had on my cheekbone a couple of years ago, I had developed a nasty habit. The surgery was very painful, and so naturally my doctor prescribed me some pretty strong pain medication. Which in the beginning, I was very thankful for because of the pain that I was in. Time progressed, and the pain let up. At this point I had been on opiate medications for a couple of months. My doctor then told me that everything was healing as planned, and I could stop taking the pain medication and replace it with ibuprofen. Well, at this point I was already physically addicted to them, and was completely terrified of the way I felt when I stopped taking the pain medication. I was embarassed, ashamed, and I had no idea where to turn. I began buying the medication on the street, wherever I could just to feel normal. This went on for a couple of years, and I did some things that I am definitely not proud of.

Eight months ago, my little cousin, my best friend, was taken from this world in a fatal car accident. The whole family was just devestated, and we still are. It gave me some time to evaluate my life. If you don't believe in the supernatural, you should probably stop reading here. A few nights after the funeral, I was coming home from work and my parents were sitting in the livingroom. My mom asked me to sit down next to her, and she held me very tight. She began to tell me about a dream that she had. Sabastian (my late cousin) had come to her, and said that he was worried about me. She asked me if there was anything she should be worried about, and I lied. I told her no, everything was fine, my back was bothering me, and I was distraught about my cousin. That night, I couldn't sleep. All that I could do was think about how Sabastian was trying to help me, and I was just flat out denying it. The next day, I decided that I needed to get help. I went online, and found a doctor, a psychiatrist, and some local NA meetings to attend. After getting everything planned out, I told my parents. This was the most terrifying thing I have ever done. I was afraid they were going to yell, scream, disown me, hate me forever, I don't know, I just feared the worst. They didn't do any of that. They accepted it, supported me, and my mom stayed up and held me all night as I was going through withdrawal preparing to get clean, and my father did the best that he could to try and keep my spirits up through the night. I will remember that night for the rest of my life. I couldn't have been more thankful for the love I had surrounding me. It occured to me at that moment what unconditional love was, and I was experiencing it first hand. I knew at that moment that I could do it.

My parents were really my saving grace in this whole process. My mom and dad went to Narcotics Anonymous for family members of addicts so that they could learn more about my addiction. They came with me to my first doctor's appointment, brought me everywhere that I needed to go, and paid for the majority of my treatment. They gave me words of encouragement, love, and motivation to get through this all. They even brought my boyfriend and I out to do plenty of activities and weekend getaways to help distract me from the negative side of withdrawal. Well, now 8-9 months later, here I am, clean as a whistle, and making every improvement in my life that I can.

One day, my mom asked me to hit a zumba class with her. I wasn't going to go at first, but then I thought about that night that she held me, and comforted me at my lowest, and realized that I at least owed it to her to go humor her. So I went with her, and to my surprise ended up having a blast! That night, I signed up for a full time membership at the gym, and signed up on MFP to start my diet. My dad even joined in on our workout routines to help keep us motivated. He did some of the Couch to 5K runs with us, did some at home videos with me, and lots of other things that really meant the world to me. My best friend, who also supported me through my recovery, then started working out with me. From there on out, there was no turning back! Also, I would like to note that 16 days ago I quit smoking cigarettes. It is a long and hard process, but it's getting easier every day. Once again, my family and friends have given me an incredible amount of support that has helped me through. Here I am now, 43 lbs. lighter, a whole lot cleaner, and happier than I've ever been in my entire life! Okay, now I'm past the boring stuff, here's some progress pictures :D

I'm 5'5" and 23 years old:

SW: 183
CW: 139.6
GW: 130-135

Me at my largest (183) I was deathly afraid to take a real progress picture, so here's the closest one I have to the angle I'm standing in the rest lol
SharieLargest183.jpg

12-15-2011 174 lbs. 9 lbs. lost
Weightloss1.jpg

1-8-2012 168 lbs.16 lbs. lost
Weightloss2.jpg

2-22-2012 159 lbs. 24 lbs. lost
weightloss3.jpg

3-14-2012 152.4 lbs. 30.6 lbs. lost
1524.jpg

5-17-2012 139.6 43.4 lbs. lost
5-17-20121396.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed! And since I know a lot of you are going to ask, here's what I do:
I lost by eating more believe it or not. When I started at 1200 I lost quickly for the first month or so, and then stopped dead in my tracks for a month. It was recommended that I up my calories, so I tried it. I upped them to 1560, and started losing again! Here's a workout week at a glance for me (I do all of these, missing a few every once in a while, but this is my normal schedule):

All classes are 45 minutes.

Sunday: 2 hour walk with best friend, mountain bike ride with boyfriend, C25K run with my mom
Monday: T3 class (strength training class), and an at home workout DVD
Tuesday: C25K run with my mom, Yoga class, Zumba class, and NIA class (low impact dance aerobics)
Wednesday: T3 class, Pilates class, Zumba class
Thursday: Yoga class, Step aerobics class, C25K run with my mom
Friday: Step aerobics class
Saturday: a light walk, or nothing (I need my rest day! lol)

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    ::clap, clap, clap, clap, clap::

You look seriously amazing. And I started to tear up reading your story.
  • weightloss43154
    weightloss43154 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    well done you look brilliant
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,165 Member
    Options
    What an inspiring story. You deserve to be happy and healthy. Good luck on the remainder of your journey. Also I :heart: in the side view shots how the thinner you get your smile gets bigger :happy:
  • zebragirl25
    zebragirl25 Posts: 22
    Options
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! HOW OFTEN DID YOU TAKE PICTURES?? IT IS ALWASY MOTIVATING SEEING HOW WELL OTHERS SUCCEED! CONGRATULATIONS! :)
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just want to say that you have such a wonderful family. Your story brought tears to my eyes because my family is very close too and their support and encouragement makes a world of difference regardless of what I'm going through.

Secondly...You look AMAZING!! Congratulations on your progress with your weight and more importantly kicking a couple of bad habits in the process. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: I can see you gaining confidence as the pictures progress...:heart: it
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! HOW OFTEN DID YOU TAKE PICTURES?? IT IS ALWASY MOTIVATING SEEING HOW WELL OTHERS SUCCEED! CONGRATULATIONS! :)

If you look above the pictures, the dates are listed. :]
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Great job!! You look amazing:)
  • mrsfurby14
    mrsfurby14 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! You look amazing. Awesome work..
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    great job! you look awesome!
  • Naady27
    Naady27 Posts: 19
    Options
    Wow you look great! I love that you took so many pictures so that you can truly see your results. You are on such a great path, and I hope that I too can get on that path as well :) So motivating to see such great results.
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

WOW.

Just WOW - well done - shows what anyone can acheive when you put your mind to it.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Awesome story! So happy to see you are healthy and fit!
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story! Thanks for sharing:) You look amazing!
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    your story is amazing Shari and keep up the hard work it paid off! I have been on backslide for awhile, you have me hope!
  • fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options
    Not only do the pictures show that your hard work really paid off - but in each picture, you're smiling more, too :) and that's the best part of it!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    What an incredible story! I'm so happy for you, what a great family you have! You look amazing and are a great inspiration. Continued success in everything you do!
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just want to say that you have such a wonderful family. Your story brought tears to my eyes because my family is very close too and their support and encouragement makes a world of difference regardless of what I'm going through.

Secondly...You look AMAZING!! Congratulations on your progress with your weight and more importantly kicking a couple of bad habits in the process. :flowerforyou:

Edited to add: I can see you gaining confidence as the pictures progress...:heart: it

^^^^^^^^ This, I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!! Congratulations. You deserve a big HUG!!!! Way to go!!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well done on turning your life around. A very moving story.
  • courtrptr13
    courtrptr13 Posts: 272
    Options
    Congrats on transforming your life and your body. You are lucky to have such an amazing support system, but you had to do the work and make the choices to become healthier, both physically and emotionally, and it sounds like you've done an excellent job! Keep up the great work and I'm sure great things are in store for you!
  • Tracey1147
    Tracey1147 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Great job and a big WELL DONE. I love the shrinking bod with the growing smile! Be very proud of yourself! You have come so far, through a journey that clearly was not going to be easy but with the love around you, you made it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!