Peanut butter: Good for you or "junk food"....?

Options

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Nothing better than peanutbutter melting in hot toasted wholemeal bread drooler.gif

OMG! I so want this now...slap a little red raspberry preserves and a diet coke and I could life for years happy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't get the *kitten* with trans-fats I would consider it healthy. Most brand name peanut butter has trans-fats and a bunch of additive. Try looking for ones where ingredients are just peanuts, to get the healthiest version.

Which brands have you seen with trans fats ?

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but I've seen it. It isn't the brand, exactly.The "natural" versions of the major brands don't have it. They have peanuts, sugar, salt and oil (not hydrogenated). A lot of their non-natural versions have HFCS and trans fats, though.

Natural is better. The ingredients usually say: Peanuts.

Look at the ingredients. If it says partially hydrogenated oil, it has it.... And it can still say "No trans fats" on the package if it contains less than 0.5g. So, if it has 0.49 grams of trans fat, it can say no trans fat. And then you eat several servings of several foods like this and get several grams a day. I just stay away from all processed foods when I can because you never know. Ugh..... so difficult!

Skippy Natural and Jif Natural do not have trans fats in them.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Its defenitely high in calories, but good calories and good fat, beleive it or not good fat actually helps get rid of bad fat....the sugar however in most peanut butters ...not so great, so natural peanut butter is the way to go , at least its pure peanuts, no sugar or additives and heathy.
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had to abolish it from my diet, it's too high in fat and too many calories, even the natural stuff. And people will say if it's 100% peanuts, natural nut oils are okay... I'm not so sure about that. First of all peanuts are not actually nuts, they are legumes, and I have heard peanuts are not so good for you like real raw nuts. And from my own personal experience, it really helps me to just stay away!
  • cgrigz
    cgrigz Posts: 101
    Options
    love it need it and goes with anything
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find a no-sugar brand of natural peanut butter that I don't have to stir. Is this even possible?

I don't want to make my own, it's more for my kids than for me. They put it on their toast for breakfast frequently. I prefer to eat a 1/4 cup of whole nuts or peanuts rather than peanut butter.

I did buy PB2 yesterday before reading this thread. I thought it would be a nice addition to protein shakes in the morning for breakfast. However, it does contain a small amount of sugar.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've been trying to find a no-sugar brand of natural peanut butter that I don't have to stir. Is this even possible?

I don't want to make my own, it's more for my kids than for me. They put it on their toast for breakfast frequently. I prefer to eat a 1/4 cup of whole nuts or peanuts rather than peanut butter.

I did buy PB2 yesterday before reading this thread. I thought it would be a nice addition to protein shakes in the morning for breakfast. However, it does contain a small amount of sugar.

I don't think so. But the natural varieties really don't have a lot of sugar. I think it's 4 grams per serving for Skippy Natural.
  • sarahtbland
    sarahtbland Posts: 11
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I get natural (check the label, all "natural" labels aren't really natural) and use it for a recovery snack after a really hard run. I think because it's high in calories, you just have to eat in moderation, like a lot of things.

Also, almond butter is pretty dang similar to peanut butter and a little lower in calories if I remember correctly.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I have it in moderation. It's too high calorie to have all the time (for me) but I wouldn't say that makes it junk food. Also, I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter so I usually just have the occasional pb&j and that's about it. I have Nutella more often, not sure if it's better or worse, but it tastes better!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

Eat the variety that has no extras added and is just peanut butter with peanut butter oil. This means no salts nor sugar.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    PB has it's upsides and downsides. I feel that the upsides far outweigh the downsides and enjoy it these days in smoothies and a quick spoonful with an apple. I have started buying no stir natural and, as someone else said, budget it into my days since it does have that high calorie count to it. As far as my children go, I would much rather they have a "junk food" PB&J on wheat bread than some cruddy Lunchable with processed meat and cheese with chips and a sugary drink any day of the week.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    it is super high in calories. I only eat it when I need alot of energy and I know I am going to be burning it off -something extra strenuous - not just normal exercising -like an all day hike or kayak trip - i pack it and some multi-grain Wasa Crisbread crackers (45 cal for one huge slice) tastes like a cracker -
    Ever try Nutella?? or Flaxseed Butter??

Did you know Nutella is getting sued? I saw it on the news the other day...I have never tried it but I guess I will be just fine sticking to good ol' fashioned Peanut Butter :happy:

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/features_momsatwork/2012/05/nutella-isnt-healthy-lawsuit-concludes-the-marriage-of-sugar-and-fat-rarely-is.html
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've tried natural peanut butter, and I hate to say it, but without the added salt and sugar it just doesn't taste right. I don't eat a lot of peanut butter because of the high fat content, but when I do I want that specific taste, so I usually grab the plain old jar of Jiff.

I notice it doesn't have any trans fats, but it does have "Fully Hydrogenated Oil." I've never heard that term before.
  • JennyLu3
    JennyLu3 Posts: 26
    Options
    I am OBSESSED with peanut butter. Love the stuff. I think that it's okay in moderation, as it has a high amount of protein. However, its high fat content can be bad news if you eat too much.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I've tried natural peanut butter, and I hate to say it, but without the added salt it just doesn't taste right. I don't eat a lot of peanut butter because of the high fat content, but when I do I want that specific taste, so I usually grab the plain old jar of Jiff.

I notice it doesn't have any trans fats, but it does have "Fully Hydrogenated Oil." I've never heard that term before.

Fully hydrogenated oil is trans fat.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    love it, dont have it often but there are lots of good things that come from peanut better. Of course you want to check the label to double check whats in it.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I love it. But I eat the organic natural kind. I always check what is in it first.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

I :heart: PB :bigsmile:
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    Love it love it love it love it love it love it love it.
    I eat it daily.
    I want to live on an apple island in the middle of a peanut butter sea.
    [/quote
    I will be your next door neighbor!! Then we can go to my beach house across the peanut butter sea, in IHOP land or maybe I'll just buy a yacht filled with brownies.. Hm... HELP?! lol :laugh:
  • simatif
    simatif Posts: 32
    Options
    I think if you are buying commercial PB, then it isnt quite a "healthy" option. But if you get quality stuff, without all the crap in it. I say it is one of the good foods (fuel) and should be enjoyed :)