Where does fat go?

Options

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I rendered most mine out through sweating!

What ever was left was flushed!

:laugh:
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    hell, where it belongs

lol
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think I poop mine out....hence why im in the can 3-6 times a day

Thanks for the update :laugh:
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You literally breathe it out. The molecules that make up fat are broken down into water and carbon, which becomes part of the CO2 that you exhale. (Of course I'm leaving out lots of complexity, but that's the basic idea.)

Is that where the ridiculous "breathe yourself to thinness" ideas have come from? My Mum has told me that if I just breathe properly then I'll never have to lose weight, it's very odd.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Energy and matter don't dissapear of course, they just change forms. Fat is used by the body as energy so I'd say the conversion is something similar to potiential -> kinetic, kinda like a really complex coiled spring. Everything else would just get filtered out of the blood and excreted in one form or another. Just a best guess though.

Edit: just noticed someone made a good point about heat too, thermal energy is most definately a biproduct of the bodies energy cycle, in fact it's in the definition of a calorie :tongue:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Utilized as fuel and broken down and then released from the body as water, and carbon dioxide in your breath I believe.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    My fiancé's ex's *kitten*. (I hope)
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    I've heard the fat cells just shrink
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I always thought it came out of the fat cell and was burned for energy, like heat. Maybe I'm wrong, but when I'm melting during a workout that's what I think of :laugh:

:laugh: this made me think of the wicked witch on the wizard of oz....I'm meeellllting:bigsmile:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Germany! The same place your hunger goes when you eat a snickers bar.
    Warum bin ich immer hungrig?!!
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I've willed mine to all of the people in the world that I dislike...seems to be working: I'm shrinking; they're getting LARGE! :noway:

LOVE This:love:
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I think mine goes to Cleveland.
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think it's like gasoline in your car....it gets burned for energy. I think.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go anywhere. Fat cells just shrink.

^^ This. When you gain weight, you gain fat cells. When you lose weight, those cells just shrink, but they don't go away. This is why it's so easy to gain it back plus more.
    The fat cells shrink because your body is taking the lipids stored in them and burning them (oxidizing) to release the energy to fuel your body (when calories eaten are less than calories expended). Conversely, if you have an excess of lipids that aren't used to fuel your body (calories eaten are greater than calories expended) your body will store those lipids in your existing fat cells. When it runs out of room, it will make more fat cells to store the excess lipids.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you ask the people around me it's going to my head ;)
  • whitneysaenz
    whitneysaenz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Probably the same place all my socks go once I put them in the dryer. I'm assuming Narnia.

:laugh:

I think our dog eats all of my sons socks, but mine on the other hand just vanish!