Where does fat go?

Options

Replies

• jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Probably the same place all my socks go once I put them in the dryer. I'm assuming Narnia.

:laugh:

I think our dog eats all of my sons socks, but mine on the other hand just vanish!

I know where our socks are...on the floor BESIDE the dirty laundry basket! lol
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Good reading. I knew all this once, back in the day. :-)
  • Laura0152
    Laura0152 Posts: 1
    Options
    too funny
  • Merrilies
    Merrilies Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I think mine goes to Cleveland.

Ha ha that made me laugh out loud!

It dissipates into your body - your body converts it into energy, which gets used up in your muscles and tissue etc.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Fat is stored energy.

Just like a car burns gas....your body burns fat when it is moving...turns it into a 'gas' or toxin that your body then gets rid of it....you know through all our natural bodily functions.... Or so I am guessing...lmao
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I read an article once that said when you work out, what you exhale is fat. Okay, that probably wasn't worded great, but that was the gist of the article.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327
  • Merrilies
    Options
    I was going to tell you a little story about when I worked in the funeral profession, but some of you may be squeamish or think it bad to speak ill of the dead - but, if you wanna hear it, let me know.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    hell, where it belongs

hahaha!
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was going to tell you a little story about when I worked in the funeral profession, but some of you may be squeamish or think it bad to speak ill of the dead - but, if you wanna hear it, let me know.

I wanna hear it!
  • Merrilies
    Options
    Lol, wait and see if anyone else wants to, I don't want to upset anyone.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    hell, where it belongs

Thief... I said that already!
  • AmberM143
    AmberM143 Posts: 15
    Options
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

To understand the answer, it helps to remember that fat is basically stored energy. Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go anywhere. Fat cells just shrink.

^^ This. When you gain weight, you gain fat cells. When you lose weight, those cells just shrink, but they don't go away. This is why it's so easy to gain it back plus more.

Not true. Fat cells grow and shrink, and fat cells divide and die off. Just like any other cell type. It just takes longer for a fat cell to die off, and you need to gain a lot of weight quickly to have any real increase in the number of fat cells.
  • Merrilies
    Options
    Sent you a pm natVanessa with the story in, it relates to this post, but might be too yucky for some people to read.
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I think I poop mine out....hence why im in the can 3-6 times a day

Good thing to know about a person!
  • iambatman41
    iambatman41 Posts: 37
    Options
    fat is basically stored energy. Your body converts fat to usable energy for your muscles and other tissues through a series of complex metabolic processes. This causes your fat cells to shrink.

These metabolic activities also generate heat, which helps maintain your body temperature, and waste products. These waste products — water and carbon dioxide — are excreted in your urine and sweat or exhaled from your lungs.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/body-fat/AN01327
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Where does all the gasoline that I put in my car go? I keep putting it in and it keeps disappearing.
  • Nikki_42
    Nikki_42 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Smart answer- Disney of course.

True answer- Fat cells just shrink or expand. You (according to lipo doc) keep the same number of fat cells unless they are removed. It's just the size of the cell that changes.

No I haven't had lipo. :-)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Probably the same place all my socks go once I put them in the dryer. I'm assuming Narnia.
    Congrats. For the first time on MFP you made me LOL.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    hell, where it belongs

ROFL!!