What is the best thing about losing weight for you?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me it was getting my triglycerides back under control. Don't get me wrong, I like looking better in and out of my clothes. I like wearing styles I'd been avoiding and tucking my shirt in, instead of out to cover the muffin top. I admit to still being vain about my appearace. But at age 51, remaining healthy without meds has become the biggest focus now.
  • LisaJ2904
    LisaJ2904 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    controlling and reversing the diabetes. had it, took meds, it got better, no longer have it or take meds for it. everything else is just gravy

This is amazing , I wish more people knew about this x

Also for me , the best thing is realizing I can achieve anything...I now have a mile long list of things I am going to do because I can ! x
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For me, its a sense of feeling in control. The quote that states, "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" is something i yearn to know.

Hmmm..... that's a quote anorexics use to motivate themselves not to eat, isn't it? It also is attributed to Kate Moss, NOT someone I would rush to for eating advice. (Drugs, ciggies and vodka are things I prefer to keep out of my diet - LOL :) However, if it works for you and you are making sensible eating and exercise choices, great.

I say 'Nothing tastes as good as exercise cals feel' :):drinker:

I always change it to "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". But I like your version too.
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Catching my husband of 19 years checking out the "goods"! Best parts so far! :drinker:

Oh yeah, have to agree with this too, hubby cant keep his eyes or hands off me :love: and he has just phoned me to tell me hes treating me to some new clothes wooohoooooo
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Catching my husband of 19 years checking out the "goods"! Best parts so far! :drinker:

Not surprised, I had a look at your photos and your 'goods' are fabulous!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    So many things.

1. Being able to shop in "regular" stores.

2. The smaller sizes.

3. Having to lower my blood pressure medication. (Hopefully by the time I'm done, I'll be off them).

4. Having the energy to play with my kids.

5. Having people look at me differently. After 160 lbs, those who haven't seen me in a while don't recognize me :smile: :smile:

6. The confidence I have in myself.

7. This one is a little childish, but, sticking my tongue out at everyone who told me I'd never do it, or who said cruel things to me about my weight. I've got my 25 year high school reunion this summer and can't wait to go.

8. All the great people I've met on MFP who have supported me and given me motivation. Thank You!!!
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    7. This one is a little childish, but, sticking my tongue out at everyone who told me I'd never do it, or who said cruel things to me about my weight. I've got my 25 year high school reunion this summer and can't wait to go.

Childish?! No! This sounds like a perfectly natural human reaction to idiots if you ask me. Cannot wait to do it to my m-i-l when I get to my target weight. Should I practice in advance or just go for it on the day? :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    The best thing is that I FEEL so much better. I have confidence! I love it...
    And because of my confidence I am being noticed more by others....lol

I also feel such pride in myself for working so hard.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Not surprised, I had a look at your photos and your 'goods' are fabulous!

Thank you! I'm still a work in progress. He keeps asking about my bust measurement... he's afraid they'll disappear! LOL
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1. I have a waist!! Who knew! lol
    2. My clothes are getting too big, I had trousers on that I've not had on since December I have 2 inches in them now I'm just barely keeping them up, woop!
    3. I feel better!

I still have a long way to go so I'm guessing this list will get longer, I cant wait to be able to go into any shop and knowing stuff will fit me and not reaching to the back and hoping for the best!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Realizing that I am strong, beautiful, and a force to be reckoned with again. I'm not just some flabby pushover who is hiding in her fat clothes anymore. I'm strong, getting fitter every day, and awesome.
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    For me, its a sense of feeling in control. The quote that states, "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" is something i yearn to know.

Hmmm..... that's a quote anorexics use to motivate themselves not to eat, isn't it? It also is attributed to Kate Moss, NOT someone I would rush to for eating advice. (Drugs, ciggies and vodka are things I prefer to keep out of my diet - LOL :) However, if it works for you and you are making sensible eating and exercise choices, great.

I say 'Nothing tastes as good as exercise cals feel' :):drinker:

I always change it to "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels". But I like your version too.

I like your version too!

Congrats on getting your triglycerides under control and eliminating that muffin top. Who says that 51 is too old to take a little pride in your appearance? There's a guy on this thread, 71, celebrating his new looks. It's never too late to take care of yourself!

:)
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Better Libido
  • aliciandoug
    Options
    Getting off some of my diabetes medicine! Hopefully one day I will be off of it for good. Everyone on my moms side of the family has diabetes and they act like it is nothing. They all eat like crap and just take more insulin and then complain that they "don't feel well." I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 22 years old. Growing up around a family that all had it and didn't care, didn't teach me anything except to be the same as them. I'm going on 28 now and I realized that I don't want to be like them and I don't have to. In Feb I joined the gym and started caring. I realized that I can't rely on other people to show me how to live. I have to do it for myself. I have lost 25lbs and still going. I'm off 1 medication out of the 3 that I'm on for it. In 1 month my numbers had gone down dramatically. I have a check up appointment next month and I'm hoping for more good news!

I would also like to find this "energy" stuff that everyone keeps talking about. I'm still always tired but I keep on going.

The "energy stuff" (love that name!) came for me about 2 months after starting eating good stuff everyday and exercising everyday.
    (Yes, my diary has beer and nachos in it for tonight but I've earned them! :)

However, I have had periods in my life where I was super-fit and I've always been told that it is easier for people who were once fit to get back to that stage again so not to give up once you have started.

If you have never been really fit, it may take longer but DO NOT GIVE UP, ok. A random stranger on the internet has told you not to give up so you are not allowed to now, OK!?! :):) The energy stuff is coming and with every bit of exercise you do, YOU bring yourself nearer to it. (Yay you!)

25lbs is a brilliant loss - 3 more lbs and you will have lost 2 stone!! That is fabulous. Also, as others on this thread have attested time and again, one of their best things was coming off the meds after weight loss. I am sure that will happen for you too.

xx

Thank you so much for your encouragement! I have always been a big girl. Even as a child I can't believe the things my parents let me eat. When I was younger I didn't know better but now I do!

Giving up isn't an option for me. One day, one step at a time. That's what I keep telling myself. :)
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    controlling and reversing the diabetes. had it, took meds, it got better, no longer have it or take meds for it. everything else is just gravy

MMMM gravy..
    Congrats on getting healthier!!!

Mine is knowing that I have reduced the chances of illnesses, having more energy to play with my grand-baby and being able to buy clothes OFF THE RACK anywhere...
  • anku08
    anku08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    1. Proving our ability to achieve anything.
    2. Confident looks
    3. most imp : Longer life...
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bedroom stamina

CHEERS! :P
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    Realizing that I am strong, beautiful, and a force to be reckoned with again. I'm not just some flabby pushover who is hiding in her fat clothes anymore. I'm strong, getting fitter every day, and awesome.

I have so much love for this reply! I stood up for myself this morning in a way that I would never have done before I started this journey. The time of accepting and taking the badness in others is over for me. Feet are going down!. My own inner flabby pushover is gone, I think I sweated her out about three weeks ago :)
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would definetly say without a doubt, BETTER SELF ESTEEM!! :smile:
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    FINALLY being comfortable in my own body.

:happy: