Any hunters here?

Options

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Wanting to kill an animal...for 'fun'?

Sounds absolutely desperate.

I'd rather hunt an animal in it's natural habitat for food than buy pork made from a pig that was kept in a pen it's whole life, being force fed grain to make it fat.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Whitetail deer, turkey, ducks......I have hunted all my life...and my son likewise.....he especially loves duck hunting....

Same here. Do a little fishing here and there too. Took my son for the first time this past fall for whitetail. It was soooo fun. I'm not sure who was more excited having him along... me or him. LOL
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If by hunter you mean running up and down the mountains for a full week carrying a rifle and a heavy backpack to get back home exhausted but with no meat.... then yes I am one of these...

Got my permit a couple years ago and I love it but I have yet to get me some venaison.....

I get rabbits though... those are always good :-)
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Live for Turkey season! Counting down the days... less than 300 to go!! :love:
    My hubby and I also hunt whitetail, but so enjoy the challenge in turkey hunting. (Gobble, Gobble) I use a Remington 870 20 gauge for turkey hunting...

For deer season in Mississippi, we have various weapon season... we hunt them all. (Archery, Primative weapon, rifle....)

(when we are not in the woods,,, we are on the water. I enjoy fishing for any type of fish... my hubby lives for Bass fishing)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I hunt mushrooms and fish. :) My husband and son hunt waterfowl and have hunted pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, doves and deer in the past. This year they are going on a group hunt to Canada.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I hunt white tail...and deer ;)
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    There is no better tasting pork then a pig you killed yourself, the chops from them are just awesome, so is the rest of the meat. I love venison and elk, stag meat. Hoping to get ourselves a moose one of these days!
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A big ol' buck will be tough to kill while fishing ro pheasant hunting...
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love it. Still eating venison from my catch this winter.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love hunting and fishing!
  • stephenglover
    stephenglover Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Been Hunting since I was 8 maybe younger. I have hunted from Jax.Fl. to Southwest Texas. From Deer to Turkey, which I started 3 years ago and it is addictive. Fishing also a must here in FLA.
    Taught both of my daughters to hunt and love the outdoors in general, I hate that people think it is wrong, no different than the chicken or cow bein killed for your next meal!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Yup, I hunt and fish. Current hunting includes deer, partridge, duck, goose, squirrel, pheasant. Want to try bear someday.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My husband hunts Whitetail & Mule deer for 1.) food & 2.) trophy. He's hoping for an African Safari soon.
  • Lefty634
    Lefty634 Posts: 56
    Options
    Sometimes I hunt other times it is hiking with weapons. I enjoy hunting whitetail deer and turkeys and sometimes use squirrels to fill the gaps between big game season.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd be a vegetarian if I had to kill my own animals :L

I don't have have a problem with hunting for food any more than I have a problem with the meat industry in general, but I hate people that hunt purely for fun.

I hate the posh twats that go around hunting foxes just for fun, and then complained when the government banned the use of dogs in hunting.

Also yeah the pictures thing upsets me, not because I'm trying to hide from the harsh realities of meat - I know where it comes from, I eat it, I respect that, but it just seems to be very disrespectful towards the animal to take photos holding it by the antlers or smiling and laughing and pointing at it. Just as I hate seeing their stuffed heads on the walls (incidentally, I live in Scotland, have been to England and have never seen a taxidermy animal outside of the museum, I've only ever seen them in American film/tv). You have far superior weapons, the animal has no chance. I think it's fine to kill and eat them if that's your thing, but death is sad and brutal and it's just pretty cheap to treat animals so disrespectfully, when you've ended it's life just for your dinner...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I think you are right, in some cases. But in many, the taxidermy is a way to continually appreciate the beauty of the animal.
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Growing up here in southeastern Louisiana I have been a hunter all my life. I love eating wild game knowing I hunted it down and harvested it myself. So people may not like the wild game taste including myself. Over the years I have found easy ways of getting the wild game taste out of the meat in a easy and cheap way. I hunt as much as I can and eat everything I kill.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think you are right, in some cases. But in many, the taxidermy is a way to continually appreciate the beauty of the animal.

I think it depends on how it's done... in the museum they look beautiful, and it's obviously to appreciate the beauty and natural significance of the animal (as well as the learning about it obv), but sticking their heads on the walls or making rugs with the heads still attached etc just seems more like making them furniture which I think is just plain sad
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    And as far as pictures go, it's been mentions already. They are ways to share and remember. Hunting is about a lot more than filling your freezer -- at least for many. It is a way to get back to nature, a way to be a part of it. It is a centering experience. And it also isn't as easy as many seem to think. Not for those that don't use feeders and blinds and whatnot, anyway. (Thankfully, using feeders and salt and the like is illegal in Montana.) So filling your tag is also something that takes much effort. So why wouldn't you want to remember that experience?
  • tsh0ck
    Options

I think it depends on how it's done... in the museum they look beautiful, and it's obviously to appreciate the beauty and natural significance of the animal (as well as the learning about it obv), but sticking their heads on the walls or making rugs with the heads still attached etc just seems more like making them furniture which I think is just plain sad

So beauty can be appreciated only in a museum setting, and not in a home?

Frankly, seems more sad to just throw away a beautiful animal. Why not preserve a part if it for that continued appreciation?