Does eating Organic make you a jerk?

Options
1235»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Being a jerk makes you a jerk. Eating organic is unrelated.

Yes this, only there might be some connection as it seems more likely that people become jerks when they preach about eating organic.

That's only a perception by those who want to continue living in a world that benefits the consumer. People wouldn't think it was jerky behavior unless they were feeling innately guilty over their participation.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Yes this, only there might be some connection as it seems more likely that people become jerks when they preach about eating organic.

That's only a perception by those who want to continue living in a world that benefits the consumer. People wouldn't think it was jerky behavior unless they were feeling innately guilty over their participation.

Not everyone has a choice but to buy non-organic. Not all of us can afford organic. If it's between organic food that will feed you for a couple of days or non-organic food that will feed you for a week, some of us have no option but to choose the latter. We think it's jerky behavior because it reeks of classism and elitism. We're being called inferior because we're forced to be frugal.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know where to read the original full text for free?

I'm really curious about the study design and P values between the different groups. I also really want to know how they sorted people and how they got the volunteers in the first place (Did they get a good cross-section or did they pick people from one area). Being a science major, I've learned that not every study that goes into a journal is well done, and I really want to see how this one measures up to what I've been taught.

/end nerd moment/
  • kayemme
    Options

The study is just a study; my experience has proven exactly the opposite of this statement:
    When it came to helping out a needy stranger, the organic people also proved to be more selfish, volunteering only 13 minutes as compared to 19 minutes (for controls) and 24 minutes (for comfort food folks).

The issue is cross-culturing in that people who frequently visit farmer's markets, CSAs or grow their own food typically bring their own bags without being asked; it's is part of our culture. In fact, my experience is that I get a lot of snotty looks from shoppers at the supermarket when I bring my own bags. The shoe fits on both feet, you know?

I try to be compassionate about it: ignorance is simply ignorance and all we can do is accept it as that while continuing to do what we do because we believe in it, not because somebody told us it was "the right" thing to do. When I get the consumer stinkeye, I try not to become offended. A "Forgive them Father," kind of thing.

The article and study seem biased from an ignorant perspective; if it weren't trying to set up a divide between groups by isolating unpleasant experiences, it could possibly be beneficial!
  • kayemme
    Options

Not everyone has a choice but to buy non-organic. Not all of us can afford organic. If it's between organic food that will feed you for a couple of days or non-organic food that will feed you for a week, some of us have no option but to choose the latter. We think it's jerky behavior because it reeks of classism and elitism. We're being called inferior because we're forced to be frugal.

well, to be fair: most people who say they can't afford organic also drive cars and have cable television.

it's not important to buy organic all the time. for example, if it is a choice between a $1 hamburger or a half pound of non-organic broccoli, the choice is clear! people say a lot of things that are misguided by their own egos. everyone can afford to eat well, and by eating well, they provide the farmers with the opportunity to feed more people well. it's really very simple. we vote with every dollar we spend, so it's important to spend it wisely. those who can afford to buy organic, should, because even if the organic label is misleading, it still sends a message that there is a demand for it.

but i'm not a hater. i'm just saying that the guilt-complex is the reactive force. people know they can eat better and then blame politics when they "can't".

there are valid cases where real food (organic or not) simply is not available (food deserts) and that is a different conversation completely. because the topic is so broad, we have to break it down into parts first and address problems individually.

thanks for listening / reading :)

edit: oh, and I'm probably about as frugal as a person can get. :D
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    "There's a line of research showing that when people can pat themselves on the back for their moral behavior, they can become self-righteous,"

So.. doing something that makes you believe yourself better than others will bring in your inner jerk. actually sounds legit.:laugh:
  • kayemme
    Options
    People that eat organic do it for the status. There is absolutely no difference between organic and Conventional crops and food. Except maybe the organic has more e-coli. I wish people that were passionate about Organic foods would go out and actually see how they grow organic foods. Opened my eyes for sure.

I don't agree with the 'no difference' part but I absolutely agree that if more people saw what is considered 'organic' farming they would be surprised to find it remarkably similar to non-organic. Similar enough that the price tag for organic food isn't always justified.

I agree with this in the context of corporate farming methods. That's why not everything is so important to buy organically (apples: yes; onions, not so much; blueberries: almost irrelevant).

But small farms that focus on permaculture methods is a completely different subject. The process is almost the opposite of agribusiness. I don't buy "organic" labeling, I buy organic practice. :) And I practice it myself!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

well, to be fair: most people who say they can't afford organic also drive cars and have cable television.

it's not important to buy organic all the time. for example, if it is a choice between a $1 hamburger or a half pound of non-organic broccoli, the choice is clear! people say a lot of things that are misguided by their own egos. everyone can afford to eat well, and by eating well, they provide the farmers with the opportunity to feed more people well. it's really very simple. we vote with every dollar we spend, so it's important to spend it wisely. those who can afford to buy organic, should, because even if the organic label is misleading, it still sends a message that there is a demand for it.

but i'm not a hater. i'm just saying that the guilt-complex is the reactive force. people know they can eat better and then blame politics when they "can't".

there are valid cases where real food (organic or not) simply is not available (food deserts) and that is a different conversation completely. because the topic is so broad, we have to break it down into parts first and address problems individually.

I really doubt it's "most people". I own neither and often have to buy non-organic fruits and vegetables because they are usually significantly cheaper per pound. Also, there are a lot of people who need a car in order to make a living. I happen to live in one of the top cities in the country for public transportation. Not everyone is so lucky, nor is everyone lucky enough to live within walking distance of work or stores.

Oh, and frugal is different than broke. There are times when I can't spend more than $5 a day or I'll run out of money for necessary stuff, like bus fare, before my next check.
  • kayemme
    Options

I really doubt it's "most people". I own neither and often have to buy non-organic fruits and vegetables because they are usually significantly cheaper per pound. Also, there are a lot of people who need a car in order to make a living. I happen to live in one of the top cities in the country for public transportation. Not everyone is so lucky, nor is everyone lucky enough to live within walking distance of work or stores.

Oh, and frugal is different than broke. There are times when I can't spend more than $5 a day or I'll run out of money for necessary stuff, like bus fare, before my next check.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I just saw some jerks in a McDonald's parking lot....so I'm going to agree with "being a jerk makes you a jerk".
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hahah, really people?! :noway: As said - being a jerk makes you a jerk, I know nice people and not so great people that buy organic. The same goes for 'regular' food shoppers.
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    THAAAAANKS!

smug_alert.jpg

Totally what I think about this topic.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Does eating Organic make you a jerk?

Yes... yes it does. lol jk
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

I have not read all the replies and I apologize if someone already brought this up, but I don't see anything to indicate who funded the study. Not all scientific studies are funded by the government. This could have been paid for with tax payer money, but it would have just as easily have been paid for by Frito-Lay or the Doris Duke Foundation. I can't tell without reading the full study, and that is not something I actually want to do.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Please don't jump all over me but I believe there may be some truth to that. Not necessarily that eating organic makes you a jerk, but I think many people who are already jerks are drawn to eating organic, for little or no other reason than self-righteousness. It's really the thing I don't like about shopping at Whole Foods, where I usually encounter a nasty jerk or two. Having said that, I think there are many nice and thoughtful people, like myself and many of you, who eat organic because they understand the benefits, and as another commenter said, are lucky enough to afford it.

HAHAHA! Yeah, it's called being pious, holier-than-though, and you'll be followed by a cloud of foul-smelling smug. There's all sorts of causes of this: religion, politics, miles per gallon, reusable grocery totes, beer/wine/cheese snobbery, etc. There's all sorts of good things out there that are ruined by people who need to put themselves on pedestals.

I see you, south park reference! Love it.

I mostly see hipsters at the organic food markets, and not all hipsters are jerks but I find a lot to have a higher opinion of themselveshaha
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    1st Scientist - "Shall we have a go at curing cancer?"
    2nd Scientist - "No, I'm going to see how many fruit pastilles it takes to choke a Kestrel"

Courtesy of Frankie Boyle (Mock the Week) :laugh:
  • kayemme
    Options
    There's all sorts of causes of this: religion, politics, miles per gallon, reusable grocery totes, beer/wine/cheese snobbery, etc. There's all sorts of good things out there that are ruined by people who need to put themselves on pedestals.

Maybe the answer to this question is more that people project their own "jerkiness" on to others. I bring my own bags to the grocery, and I don't think twice about it. I also don't think that people judge me either way for doing it, but that doesn't mean they don't. But I don't care if people judge me for doing something. So jerks come where jerks are looking for jerks!

Make the world you want to live in!

edit: Most of the things we do is out of frugality, not to put ourselves on pedestals.

If someone thinks we're doing something in particular so that others think we're "cool" or "hip" well, then I guess that's just something they have to deal with, not me ;) Neither of us really care what other people think of us.
  • SinuousNihilist
    Options
    Please don't jump all over me but I believe there may be some truth to that. Not necessarily that eating organic makes you a jerk, but I think many people who are already jerks are drawn to eating organic, for little or no other reason than self-righteousness. It's really the thing I don't like about shopping at Whole Foods, where I usually encounter a nasty jerk or two. Having said that, I think there are many nice and thoughtful people, like myself and many of you, who eat organic because they understand the benefits, and as another commenter said, are lucky enough to afford it.

HAHAHA! Yeah, it's called being pious, holier-than-though, and you'll be followed by a cloud of foul-smelling smug. There's all sorts of causes of this: religion, politics, miles per gallon, reusable grocery totes, beer/wine/cheese snobbery, etc. There's all sorts of good things out there that are ruined by people who need to put themselves on pedestals.

I see you, south park reference! Love it.

I mostly see hipsters at the organic food markets, and not all hipsters are jerks but I find a lot to have a higher opinion of themselveshaha

HA! I didn't see this before. Aw, they beat me to it!