mini rant for those of you who "binge"

Options
just putting this out there to set the record straight; it makes my skin crawl to see some people logging a 400 calorie snack attack as a an "OMG massive, disgusting, binge." there is a DIFFERENCE between someone who overeats a few hundred cals (usually because theyre depriving themselves) and someone who gorges themselves on a few THOUSAND calories because of emotional reasons. for someone like myself who's had 3k-5k emotional and horribly compulsive binges, its a slap in the face when i see people who call these ~under 1000 calorie meals~ "binges." its just overeating. i feel like theyre totally misinformed, saying they have a problem that is actually very serious for other people.

am i crazy or am i right? i see it time and time again.....

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

stop worrying about everyone else. let me do me and you do you.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    its the emotion and the compulsion that makes it a binge, not the quantity. its the loss of control. not the number of calories. i think a lot of people do mistake over eating and feeling guilty with a binge though. but i dont see how the amount of calories you eat determines weather its a binge or not.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize the amount of calories someone is over directly correlates with your weight loss...

And for the record...I feel like *kitten* when I eat 2000 extra calories just like I feel like *kitten* when I eat 500 extra calories. And it's not emotional for me. It's an addiction to junk food which I'm fully aware of and doing my best to work through. But judging other people because they aren't binging as much as you are is just flat out stupid.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    its the emotion and the compulsion that makes it a binge, not the quantity. its the loss of control. not the number of calories. i think a lot of people do mistake over eating and feeling guilty with a binge though. but i dont see how the amount of calories you eat determines weather its a binge or not.

Very well said. How are we to know what their psychological state is or what they are feeling inside during and after a binge.

Also, for a lot of people, binge is just a generic term for overeating at that one point in time, it doesn't have the same clinical meaning that it does to others.
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump- totally agree with you, i find myself deleting those friends....
  • Ellas_Time_4_Change
    Options
    Didn't realize the amount of calories someone is over directly correlates with your weight loss...

And for the record...I feel like *kitten* when I eat 2000 extra calories just like I feel like *kitten* when I eat 500 extra calories. And it's not emotional for me. It's an addiction to junk food which I'm fully aware of and doing my best to work through. But judging other people because they aren't binging as much as you are is just flat out stupid.

This. Well said!
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options

Very well said. How are we to know what their psychological state is or what they are feeling inside during and after a binge.

Also, for a lot of people, binge is just a generic term for overeating at that one point in time, it doesn't have the same clinical meaning that it does to others.

what these guys said :)

also, maybe they were upset that they had to eat back their exercise calories.
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Agreed. There's a huge difference between me eating too much at dinner and losing control late at night. Even if losing control means binging on only 400 calories.Because it doesn't matter if I'm eating 3 bags of frozen broccoli or 3 bags of chips. That's binging.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. I get pissed off when people get suicidal over a measley 300 calories, when just yesterday I probably binged on a good 6 thousand... and yes, that's happened to me many times before.

Anyways... we all just need to learn how to not let it hinder us, put it behind us and focus on a new day. :) Two days ago I had 3 huge slices of disgusting, greasy pizza... not so much because I was hungry, but because that's what I'm so used to doing (cause it tastes so damn good lol)... and pizza is one of the many foods that just call to me. My weakness! But I'm learning to just forget about it and focus on tomorrow, which will be better. Mistakes will be made; we're only human. :)

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

stop worrying about everyone else. let me do me and you do you.

this. OP why are you trying to dictate how other people should feel? honestly if other people's feelings about their food choices affect you that much that it gets you angry then i think you're focusing on the wrong things...

sorry but some of y'all obviously need more things to worry about in your own lives. get more problems of your own and you're guaranteed to not be upset about the choices other people make
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

This
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Most of the girls who say they "binge" are already on a massive caloric deficit, when they eat anything under 1k, it is fuel that their body can USE. A real binge in terms of the disordered binge is a massive intake over which the body can naturally utilize in the course of a day, within their TDEE. So yes, a binge does have a threshold of calories before it can be considered one. The "compulsion" is not a compulsion as it is someone eating to refuel their body. A binge is a compulsive eating in which surpasses hunger AND what the body can naturally process/utilize in the course of a day, accounting for your BMR and TDEE.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are crazy; just more sensitive to the idea than others may be. A binge for you may be three-ten times more than it is for another person yet both of you feelbadly about going over. I guess we are just all on our own journeys here and need to support each other the best we can. Hugs:flowerforyou:
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Idk, this is a pretty complex subject. Some people actually feel like they're binging when they go over their amount by a couple hundred but personally, when I see some say "omg I just binged" to see a 1400 cal net really makes me wonder!
    I've had some very bad binges & I'm talking 3000-4500 cals in a day and was because of emotional eating. So when people say they've binged on a couple hundred, it really makes me feel like they don't understand. Binging is when your to the point where You CAN'T stop eating no matter how hard you try. You literally eat until you can't physically eat anymore. I don't understand why someone would actually claim to be a binge eater! It's absurd. As for the ones who obsess about going over a couple hundred, they clearly don't have a true binge problem. It's sad to see people talking about how they binged as if it were a joke.
    It's a serious psychological problem!! When i see some post aomething like that i always just laugh to myself cause they really don't know the half of it.
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who are saying there's no difference between a 500 calorie snack and a 5000 caloric binge is grossly mistaken and should reconsider/educate themselves on what Binge Eating Disorder really is. People who say they binge on 500 calories are insulting those who really struggle from the disorder.
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    buscuitNdavy: couldn't have said it better!!
  • dotmertsky
    dotmertsky Posts: 43
    Options
    You seem to be the judge and jury - stop judging others and keep attention on your goals, etc. Every time you point a finger at someone there are 3 pointing back at you. If you judge others there will be a heavier judgement on you one day.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    sorry but i disagree. all of you are entitled to your opinions just as well as i am entitled to mine. everyone overeats on an occasion, but i truly believe there's a line where it turns into binge-eating disorder and it becomes a *regular occurrence*. as defined by the mayoclinic, binge eating disorder is "serious eating disorder in which you frequently consume unusually large amounts of food" (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/binge-eating-disorder/DS00608)

emphasis on "unusually large amounts of food."

but, like i said, you are entitled to ALL of your opinions, and you all have the RIGHT to voice them just as well as i am entitled to voice mine. this is an open forum after all.:flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Those of us with binge-eating disorders are so used to extremes that it's hard to grasp the concept of a small binge. To me, a 400-calorie binge would be a success.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It's relative with myself eating around 4000 calories a day 500 each isn't really that much but to someone eating only 1500 maybe it is.