mini rant for those of you who "binge"

Options

Replies

• HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    its the emotion and the compulsion that makes it a binge, not the quantity. its the loss of control. not the number of calories. i think a lot of people do mistake over eating and feeling guilty with a binge though. but i dont see how the amount of calories you eat determines weather its a binge or not.

Agreed. There's a huge difference between me eating too much at dinner and losing control late at night. Even if losing control means binging on only 400 calories.Because it doesn't matter if I'm eating 3 bags of frozen broccoli or 3 bags of chips. That's binging.

Obviously depends what you binge on. But, as a binger, I do know that a binge is a compulsive, uncontrollable consumption of massive amounts of food. Did it last night.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I hate when people try to own eating disorders and make them exclusive, like when you can't be considered "anorexic" if you have a healthy BMI.

About the anorexia comment, usually to be classified as anorexic you have to have a BMI lower than 18.5 and there's also the loss of your period. That's why there's EDNOS, for people that might be anorexic in the sense that they starve themselves but still have a healthy BMI/still have not lost their period.

The point is, writing someone's illness off because they don't match clinical definitions is offensive in my opinion. Thanks for being an example of what I was talking about.

I was only stating, sorry if I offended. :/ I have an eating disorder but I know I'm not classified as anorexic. I've got EDNOS and it sure as hell doesn't make it any less serious.

Sorry to jump on you like that. I was just reminded of the time when I was told by a person in an eating disorder clinic that I couldn't actually be suffering from an eating disorder because I was so overweight, and therefore didn't deserve to be in the treatment group, so that's why I have lots of feelings on the matter.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Most of the girls who say they "binge" are already on a massive caloric deficit, when they eat anything under 1k, it is fuel that their body can USE. A real binge in terms of the disordered binge is a massive intake over which the body can naturally utilize in the course of a day, within their TDEE. So yes, a binge does have a threshold of calories before it can be considered one. The "compulsion" is not a compulsion as it is someone eating to refuel their body. A binge is a compulsive eating in which surpasses hunger AND what the body can naturally process/utilize in the course of a day, accounting for your BMR and TDEE.
    ^^^That, right there, is exactly right.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    am i crazy or am i right? i see it time and time again.....

stop worrying about everyone else. let me do me and you do you.

Agreed. Everything is relative. Take care of you and ignore others, because in the end it's not a competition. What may not seem like a binge to you, may feel like a binge to the person experiencing it.
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    sorry but i disagree. all of you are entitled to your opinions just as well as i am entitled to mine.

Right...you're also entitled to keep your BS opinions to yourself instead of posting them on a public forum when they are intended to belittle people that you seem to think aren't as f'd up as you are. If you want to have a pissing contest over who eat's more like *kitten* then we can but my big flabby *kitten* gut thinks the girl in your profile picture should shut up about binging.

And if I get reported for this post then so be it. Get off your high horse.

This. I agree with it completely. Nobody has the right here - or even the ability - to define anybody else, they aren't qualified in any way to do so. Keep your focus on your own goals and getting the help you need to be healthy, wherever that comes from.

There are far too many posters here who can't seem to get through their days without lecturing others; perhaps it makes them feel better not having to look at themselves too closely and resolve their own fairly significant issues. Stop it, please.
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly what I hear in your "rant" is the significant pain and struggle you don't want to have minimized. I hear your pain and I'm so sorry for this experience for you. The fact that it bothers you that others use the word "binge" without really understanding a BAD SIGNIFICANT binge just makes me guess you are still struggling, still in pain and still working through it all. Hang in there... Keep working and healing and someday you will be so strong and filled with so much self confidence and self love that it won't ever bother you.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Mini-rants are annoying to me. If you want to call it a rant, you should make it a super-mega-uber-rant.

You barely even sound upset. Sheesh.
  • Lovely_Doll
    Lovely_Doll Posts: 72
    Options
    I hate when people try to own eating disorders and make them exclusive, like when you can't be considered "anorexic" if you have a healthy BMI.

About the anorexia comment, usually to be classified as anorexic you have to have a BMI lower than 18.5 and there's also the loss of your period. That's why there's EDNOS, for people that might be anorexic in the sense that they starve themselves but still have a healthy BMI/still have not lost their period.

The point is, writing someone's illness off because they don't match clinical definitions is offensive in my opinion. Thanks for being an example of what I was talking about.

I was only stating, sorry if I offended. :/ I have an eating disorder but I know I'm not classified as anorexic. I've got EDNOS and it sure as hell doesn't make it any less serious.

Sorry to jump on you like that. I was just reminded of the time when I was told by a person in an eating disorder clinic that I couldn't actually be suffering from an eating disorder because I was so overweight, and therefore didn't deserve to be in the treatment group, so that's why I have lots of feelings on the matter.

No worries, I get emotional too when people say stuff like that. I just wanted to clarify that I know it's not any less serious if you're not classified as anorexic.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options

You might be interested in the proposed updates to the DSM for eating disorders.
    http://www.dsm5.org/proposedrevision/pages/feedingandeatingdisorders.aspx
  • fittorow
    fittorow Posts: 28
    Options
    Sometimes when I see the 400-calorie binges labelled as "big *kitten* binge" it upsets me because I feel like they're using it as an excuse to have other people tell them to not worry, that the 400 calorie "binge" isn't bad at all...because I know when I really binge, I'm ashamed to put it on any website. I don't want anyone seeing it. I don't want anyone knowing about it. Eating 20,000+ calories in one day is not something I could want anyone else to see. One of my friends saw part of one of my binges once and she got this absolutely fascinated/disgusted look on her face...I almost cried. But I didn't stop eating.
    And it has nothing to do with weight, I'm at 5'8" and 128 pounds, more or less.
    So in this I have to say I absolutely agree with you.
  • ImagineThin
    Options
    Binge Eating Disorder is NOT just consuming a massive amount of calories. I know because somewhere along the line I developed this. It is my personal belief, that yes, a lot of people who claim they have eating disorders could have prevented it because they made a conscious effort to develop it. Eating disorders are being used as excuses as to why someone over or under eats. It is a way to shift the blame in a sense to their eating disorder because of the belief that the eating disorder is in essence an uncontrollable mental disease. That bit is my personal opinion.

However, binge eating disorder, like others have said, isn't about the quantity. Binge eating disorder and compulsive eating disorder are mostly emotional and one of the biggest behavioral symptoms is feeling out of control and unable to stop eating. Other symptoms are yes, eating large amounts of food in a short amount of time and eating despite feeling full. There are usually also a lot of emotional symptoms associated with binge eating. So just because someone doesn't consume as many calories as someone else does not mean they have this eating disorder and just over eat, because a binge is a binge no matter how much you consume if it is uncontrollable and compulsive.

I think why some people binge less is because they might have a better handle on their disorder. They start out feeling not in control yet are able to regain control and make themselves stop. I know I've personally done that lately and consumed less. It's like trying to recover from any other eating disorder by taking back control over your diet/life.
  • SarahJane0691
    SarahJane0691 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the posts that you should stop worrying about what the others call a binge - delete them if it bothers you, and move on.

However, its obvious that some people don't understand the difference between an overeating binge and a binge. Binge eating is an actual eating disorder, it is NOT the same as overeating, or giving into temptation or anything you can control.

To highlight the difference let me put it this way. When I have given into temptation, its because I fancied a bit of something, like chocolate or crisps. When I have an actual binge, as part of Binge Eating Disorder, I will eat anything and everything I can get my hands on, and even when I feel like I'm going to throw up I can't stop. I've been so desperate I've gone through my bin in the hope of finding anything edible. So no, an over-eating binge and a binge are not the same thing.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you're binging with so many calories.
    If I binge with a small amount of calories, it still sucks for me.
  • pinkleah456
    pinkleah456 Posts: 34
    Options
    A binge means different amount to different people! It's the way you feel while you are eating - for me, at least.
  • ryliejaiden
    ryliejaiden Posts: 68
    Options
    A binge means something different for everyone.
    Like you said the definition of a binge is eating, "unusually large amounts of food"
    Everyone has a different idea of what an unusually large amount of food is. For me its something like eating 4 slices of pizza as opposed to my usual one slice. It's not necessarily the amount of calories you are eating, its a little more about the amount of food you are eating.

For me, I classify a binge as thoughtless overeating, and sometimes uncontrollable eating.
    Someone who has never had a binging disorder or has never binged on 3-5 thousand calories is going to think of it much differently than you are.
    Just keep in mind, words mean different things to different people.
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    its the emotion and the compulsion that makes it a binge, not the quantity. its the loss of control. not the number of calories. i think a lot of people do mistake over eating and feeling guilty with a binge though. but i dont see how the amount of calories you eat determines weather its a binge or not.

Exactly. If I compulsively eat 500 calories and then go puke it up, I have a binge purge issue.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    A binge can be different for everybody. If it's something that the person feels out of control during and is not normal then it could be classified as a binge. Even if it is just 600 calories. That can cause a lot of mental stress and anxiety for an individual for the following days. A binge does not have a certain number of calories it must be to be classified as such.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Funny. I actually deleted you because you always posted status of how you "binged" all day. You had these statuses almost daily, but you netted like 1500 calories. I don't really understand why you posted this.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Didn't realize the amount of calories someone is over directly correlates with your weight loss...

And for the record...I feel like *kitten* when I eat 2000 extra calories just like I feel like *kitten* when I eat 500 extra calories. And it's not emotional for me. It's an addiction to junk food which I'm fully aware of and doing my best to work through. But judging other people because they aren't binging as much as you are is just flat out stupid.

This. Well said!

yes. an opinion is just that. not everyone has the same challenge as you do and not everyone's the same as me. learn to help and guide instead of putting them down and saying things that are hurtful.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    am i crazy or am i right? i see it time and time again.....

stop worrying about everyone else. let me do me and you do you.
    :love: This!