I give up!

Options
I've been at this for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 1lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from teaching 23 bratty kids all I want to is come home and play with my 6 month old! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks and I have 3 weeks left of the school year until I quit so it's been a rough few weeks. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah. All I want to do is cry! Sorry for venting...also if you don't have anything nice or positive to say please don't comment. Thanks!

Replies

• temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    Options
    Just cut your CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE. It's that simple.

Dieting, in the conventional sense, is 20 years out of date scientifically. It doesn't work.

OF COURSE your approach is not working. It's wrong.

Just get a copy of the book "life without bread" and you will easily lose weight, with no hassles at all.

Another good popular book, same theme, is "The primal blueprint".

You should definitely also read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes.

Buy these books for $25 and you will never be the same again. Enjoy!

You can complain and do nothing, or simply read the books. Enjoy !!!!!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Even if you are doing everything right, some things can cause the scale to shoot up several pounds. Common ones are menstrual cycle, eating a lot of salt, or overexercising, all of which cause water retention.

Keep calm, wait for the school year to end, and keep on trucking. :)
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Remember why you're losing the weight to begin with! Keep modivated!

...seven pounds is a mile stone. keep going.

Edit: Going with the person who said to stop eating bread other stuff like that. I agree with her. I limite my intake now.

Also, how much coke are you drinking? Even if its diet that will make you gain weight.
  • mzbehaven1
    mzbehaven1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I too have felt this way. But when you have some sucsess, you want to continue to lose more! The choice you make is yours alone and if you want to look better...you have to make the right choices. I hit a low mark a coupl weeks ago and the weight didn't budge even a half pound and my weight coach said those words to me. I have since dropped 3.5 lbs! I was making the wrong choices in food/drink. So I hope this helps you...good luck on your journey.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Just cut your CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE. It's that simple.

Dieting, in the conventional sense, is 20 years out of date scientifically. It doesn't work.

OF COURSE your approach is not working. It's wrong.

Just get a copy of the book "life without bread" and you will easily lose weight, with no hassles at all.

Another good popular book, same theme, is "The primal blueprint".

You should definitely also read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes.

Buy these books for $25 and you will never be the same again. Enjoy!

You can complain and do nothing, or simply read the books. Enjoy !!!!!

You are so not helping!!!!Shush with your low carbs nonesens

You lost 6 pounds and it is great in one month. Fluctuations do happen don't worry about it unless you overate by 3500 calories.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    lots of good advice.. i have been stuck for nearly 6 months now.. very very frustrating.. i refuse to give up.. i will lose that 20 pounds!! keep going.. we are all here to support.. :)
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Don't give up =( you're worth it! If you give up now you'll end up looking back in a couple months saying "imagine if I just stuck with it back in May... where would I have been now?"
  • kim8184
    kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound trite, but it is just a pound. I know there are days I get on the scale and it goes up like 2-3 pounds. This is even after I've been extremely careful with my calories, my carbs (as I'm on a low carb diet) and my water intake. I get so frustrated also. I've read a lot where stress can cause you to retain weight, have you given this any thought? I mean you said yourself that you are stressed out by your job, that could be the culprit right there. I bet if you just hang in there for the next 3 weeks and get school over with you will see great results because your stress level will come back down to normal.

Don't give up, we all suffer setbacks at some time or another. Just remember that you can always start fresh the next day. That's the great thing about having a new day is you get to start all over. Remember everyone here is here to help in any way that we can. You got this, you just need to boost up your confidence again. I know you can do this!!
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 1lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from teaching 23 bratty kids all I want to is come home and play with my 6 month old! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks and I have 3 weeks left of the school year until I quit so it's been a rough few weeks. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah. All I want to do is cry! Sorry for venting...also if you don't have anything nice or positive to say please don't comment. Thanks!

Don't give up, you've lost five pounds in a month, which is great progress!! You are doing it!!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. There are a lot of reasons why the scale could be up a pound. A little extra salt in your diet, an upcoming trip to the bathroom- lots of reasons. Stress could even do it. Try my rule - if I don't see a weight change (in either direction) for 3 days running I don't believe it and I don't log it.

Instead of focusing on the scale, focus on the fact that even when it doesn't move, you're getting healthier. Health is the ultimate goal, right?
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    dont give up .... so you lost 6 and gained 1 ... well that means you have lost 5 ....... 5lbs a month is a healthy loss ... keep at it
  • Rashyda
    Rashyda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i would say u are doing great 6 pounds in one month...thats remarkable ..keep on working on it
  • 2shoes123
    2shoes123 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It is probably water weight, your body is probably still adjusting from giving birth 6 months ago. And, in three weeks you will be able to stay home with your baby without the added burden of 23 bratty kids. Give yourself credit for what you have done so far. You are amazing! Tell yourself how amazing you are.
  • nazashi
    nazashi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    5 Ibs total (6 minus 1) in one month is fantastic!!
    It's ok if you've gain a pound today, just start over tmrow!
    Keep hanging on, we'll get there!:wink:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    5lb a month is a great, solid loss. It took me a year and 1/2 and I averaged a lb a week. There were times I gained, times I plateaued and times I lost. It all works out. Stay on track.
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for over a year and have lost 44 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 3lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from my sh**ty job which I hate all I want to do is drink that glass of red because well it feels good!! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. (I hear ya sister!) Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks (this doesn't need editing, it's exactly how I feel!) and I have had 4 interviews in the past week, one assignment and one exam. I have had to phone in sick for work to go to these interviews which I hate doing because it means lying but what else am I to do. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah.(but admittedly it has felt so much better this year than last!) All I want to do is cry (sometimes, before I started this, it was like ALL the time!)! Sorry for venting...but this definitely helped me with my lack of motivation!!

ok you may not see the importance of what I did there by editing your post, but we all get like this, as I said I am a year in! I get frustrated, I put on weight but ultimately I can tell you categorically right now! I am sooooooo glad I kept with it in my first month and you will be too! Because a year on I do look better in clothes, I can run up the stairs, I don't cry everytime I have to go out because I can't find clothes to wear. Hopefully this will all strike a chord and help you imagine yourself in a years time maybe 40, 50 even 60lbs lighter?! Good luck!
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You have lost SIX pounds. You weight SIX pounds less than you did a month ago. You're going to have fluctuations, you're going to hit bumps in the road, you're even going to have bad weeks (maybe even months). The key is to NOT GIVE UP!!

I'm going to tell you straight up - if you're not willing to give up/cut carbs FOREVER, don't bother doing it now to lose the weight. As soon as you fall off the low carb wagon, you'll gain it all back. instead, make realistic adjustments to your food intake. Personally, I have found that portion control is what works the best for me. I eat whatever I want....I am just aware of how much of it I eat. And some days, if it doesn't fit into my calorie count for the day, I don't eat it that day. I wait and I make it fit on another day.

I know it looks like I've been at this forever, and I've ONLY lost 7 pounds, but in reality, I really just started about a month ago myself. I joined this page last year and never did anything about it - i guess you could say I really eased my way into attempting to change my life. Haha. Since I started, I've exercised a little, but mostly just watching how much food I shove in my mouth each day. (I did just rejoin my old gym, though, and am going to start slowly working that into my schedule).

I have a good group of friends outside of MFP and we have a weekly weigh in (and then I log my weight here) and we support each other through our Facebook group (none of us live near each other).

Whatever you do, don't give up!!!! You can do this!!! :flowerforyou:
  • the_green_midget
    the_green_midget Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As previous posters have said, a 5 lbs loss in a month is a perfectly healthy and good amount to have lost! I find that my weight will go up and down from day to day, but the overall trend is that it's been going down, and I'm sure if you just wait a few days, you'll notice that extra pound disappear again. Heck, I can gain up to 3 lbs when my time of the month comes around, but it always goes away again. I wouldn't worry about it... you're doing great! Don't give up!
  • aamb
    aamb Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i wish i could lose 5lbs in a month!! please don't give up, keep on at it, you are doing this slowly and steadily which is the best way
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

Hey!
    You know,we all have set backs...don't give up! Just keep going! :smile: