I give up!

Options

Replies

• PandoraMoon
    PandoraMoon Posts: 24
    Options
    Don't give up. I have also experienced the same thing. It is frustrating...and makes me want to throw the scale out the window! But then I realize that I maybe had too many chips recently or am feeling a little stressed and eat more chocolate than I should. I gained back two pounds and even though I am keeping to my calorie count I still haven't lost it again.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Remember the more you make healthy eating and exercise choices the better you will feel and the more energy you will have. Keep at it - it will get better!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 1lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from teaching 23 bratty kids all I want to is come home and play with my 6 month old! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks and I have 3 weeks left of the school year until I quit so it's been a rough few weeks. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah. All I want to do is cry! Sorry for venting...also if you don't have anything nice or positive to say please don't comment. Thanks!

It sounds like you need a break from the job. If you really feel that they are 23 bratty kids, then you should find a new profession. A lot of what's wrong (and right) with kids stems from things at home, but I find kids to be the most wonderful people on earth.

There's been many times when I felt the way you do over the past several years about the weight and when I first got on this site I gained weight and didn't lose - it was pretty frustrating. However you really need to get rid of the excuses and find a way to work at least a half hour of exercise a few days a week in to your schedule and make healthy food choices and just cut down on the quantity of food and you see not only better results on the scale, but also most importantly the NSVs! You've lost 5 pounds in a month! That's great! Keep it up for 12 months - that's 60 pounds! Nothing to scoff at.

Good luck and try to keep a positive mental attitude in life - it helps in so many ways!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    you're progressing fine. good healthy weight loss. no reason to give up. :flowerforyou:
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!! first thing to remember: muscle weighs more than fat! (I did not go read your full profile)...so If your doing a workout routine that would be building muscle you have to take that into account.

Have you done any body measurements? That is the true test of how well you are doing!
    My personal goal is to be down to 130lbs but with my frame and lean muscle I am not sure that it will be possible to hit that NUMBER, but to achieve a smaller size and look pretty damn good is possible.

I think as a society we are all hung up on numbers. Number of calories we consume daily: which is a must...especially good fats vs bad fats, making sure you are doing the food pyramid. Number of dollars in our bank account...number of items we own...yadda, yadda....I could go on and on with the number thing but I won't...that is a tangent.

DONT LISTEN to anyone that says get rid of carbs...in MODERATION is fine....our bodies need to have several different types of nutrients & vitamins for optimal performance. By omitting too many things we wind up depriving our bodies which then in turn start to store what our body can't turn into fuel into excess fat deposits and the vicious cycle starts all over again.

The only thing a person should ever give up is empty carbs and processed surgars.

Remember lots of color on your plate each and every single time.

I hope this helps!
    Keep up i the right direction!!!!

(I would love a friend request) I will help you stay motivated!
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I hear ya!! But don't give up!! Finish your pity party. Pull up your big girl panties and try again. Loosing weight is HARD! (to say the least!)
    WE CAN DO THIS!!!

More importantly, YOU can do this!
  • emilyci
    emilyci Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    don't give up. I have only lost 16 pounds since January 1. I definitely wish it were more than that, but I am also very happy with my progress. This whole month of May I have not lost a single pound...I have felt like giving up many times and also wanted to binge several times. I stop myself every time, because I know how gross and how bad I will feel about myself after giving up. We all know how hard this process is, just try to push through as hard as you can.
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    I like you, followed MFP calorie deficit plan for 4/5 weeks coupled with 6/7 hour long exercise classes a week, this was starting from a sedentry lifestyle and and basically lost no weight at all in that time and I have around 4-5 stone to lose.

I then decided I cannot carry on like this so I started lowcarb/atkins and have lost weight almost instantly and I am also still exercising!
    I feel great, lots of energy, no hunger and most of all weighing less and happy!
    Regardless of anyones opinion its just a simple matter of fact that some people cannot lose the mfp way or at least not when exercising lots.
    Lots of people will argue with this opinion but at the end of the day I just wasnt losing that way.
    The only thing that did improve was my fitness levels, but as I am on a sponsored slim to lose four stone I need to shift the weight rather than play the long game.
    Do what you feel is right, I KNOW how heartbreaking it is to step on those scales weekly and see no results even when you have put in the hard work.
  • tolkienmithril
    Options
    I know it would be really easy to give up, but if you do you will regret it. Stress is one of those things that really saps the energy. I get stressed I reach for a candy bar. Not the greatest way to cope. It really sounds like you are giving a lot of yourself to others right now. Try to whittle out some time for yourself. Even if it is a long soak in the tub. Maybe find ways to do mini-rewards to yourself during the work day. I say that but I know it just isn't that easy. Hang in there. You have three weeks until there's a kind of reprieve in sight. And it sounds like you have a wonderful baby to go home to after surviving the day. You can do it.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Keep going, weight fluctuations by +/- a few lbs are normal. I doubt you gained 1 lb. of fat overnight. Don't give up, just keep at it.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    constipation can account for a pound.
    a big, undigested dinner can account for a pound.
    monthly water retention can account for a pound.
    and even if it is a pound of fat, you've still lost 5 pounds!

put on some sad music, have a good cry, get it all out.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    5lbs in one month is still a massive achievement! I'm lucky if I lose 2lbs a month now!!

Don't give up! If you quit now you will come back in a few months time and think "I could have been at or near my goal weight by now!"

I know it's hard to see the scale go up but sometimes it happens! You might not even be doing anything wrong!

Remember to take your measurements and track your progress through that too!
  • kerrykettlebum
    Options
    and before anyone says how unhealthy this way of eating is ie lowcarb/atkins, take a look at my meals on my food diary, meat lots of veg or salad veggies twice a day,
    How can all those natural healthy foods be unhealthy?? Im def getting my 5 a day! lol.
    When i was following a 'normal' diet plan based on calories i would always go for low fat things but these are all piled with sugar and sweetners! how is that healthy?
    I suppose everyone is different and everybody responds to diets or should i say lifestyle changes differently.
    But I can honestly say I feel great less bloated, less headaches healthy skin hair and nails. check out the thread 'unexpected benefits of atkins' people have a lot of great things to say!
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    1 pound is nothing. Don't sweat it. If you weighed yourself throughout the day, you would be shocked by how much your weight fluctuates during the day. I weigh every morning for consistency. But I only count it on weigh-in days. Anything else is for curiosity. I can be 4 lbs lighter first thing in the morning compared to what I was before I went to bed. I can weigh more if I drink a lot of water and don't have to pee yet. Don't discount your progress to date by one measly pound. Just keep going, and you will see results over the long run.

14839892.png
  • rader1
    rader1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Please don't give up! Losing weight is very hard. Be proud of your accomplishments. Losing 5 pounds is better than gaining 5 lbs! Put the baby in the stroller and go on a nice walk, that way you're spending time with the baby and getting your exercise in. Stay strong!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others DON'T give up!!! I have been there, said that and I have had soooooo much support and encouragement that I didn't give up. I as well as everyone else is here for you as we have all had these kind of periods in our weight loss. I know you can do it so please keep your chin up, keep plugging along until the school year is out and see what happens. I know for me personally I have a lot of stress also and that puts weight on me. Put your baby in a stroller and go for a walk even a short one will help with stress and the weight loss!!!

Hugs!!!
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    constipation can account for a pound.
    a big, undigested dinner can account for a pound.
    monthly water retention can account for a pound.
    and even if it is a pound of fat, you've still lost 5 pounds!

put on some sad music, have a good cry, get it all out.
    ^^^^^^^^^^
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    So, overall, you're down 5 lbs in one month - that's a great rate of loss! Seriously. Weight loss is not linear. It goes up and down all the time, just focus on the overall trend. This month, you're down 5 lbs from last month, so yay! Just keep going. If you give up now, where's that going to get you? :flowerforyou:

Oh, and you don't have to limit carbs unless you really want to. I eat plenty of bread and pasta (white!) as well as rice and potatoes from time to time. It hasn't stopped me losing.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 1lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from teaching 23 bratty kids all I want to is come home and play with my 6 month old! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks and I have 3 weeks left of the school year until I quit so it's been a rough few weeks. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah. All I want to do is cry! Sorry for venting...also if you don't have anything nice or positive to say please don't comment. Thanks!

Don't give up, you've lost five pounds in a month, which is great progress!! You are doing it!!

^^THIS. Your weight will vary, it's the trend that counts!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

OF COURSE your approach is not working. It's wrong.

Except, it clearly IS working because she has lost 5 lbs in a month. For someone with ~40 lbs to lose, that's a very reasonable, healthy amount to have lost.