I give up!

Options

Replies

• speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    dont give up keep going making small changes each day -watch portion sizes as well as salt and fat intake -we all have good and bad weeks but dont give up
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Just cut your CARBOHYDRATE INTAKE. It's that simple.

Dieting, in the conventional sense, is 20 years out of date scientifically. It doesn't work.

OF COURSE your approach is not working. It's wrong.

Just get a copy of the book "life without bread" and you will easily lose weight, with no hassles at all.

Another good popular book, same theme, is "The primal blueprint".

You should definitely also read "Why we get fat" by Gary Taubes.

Buy these books for $25 and you will never be the same again. Enjoy!

You can complain and do nothing, or simply read the books. Enjoy !!!!!

Not sure why you're assuming that carbohydrates are the enemy....my diet is 50% carbs and I lose weight, body fat and gain muscle.

I will agree with others, go with measurements, not weight per say. The end result should be a better body composition not just a lighter body.
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    NEVER EVER GIVE UP!!! first thing to remember: muscle weighs more than fat! (I did not go read your full profile)...so If your doing a workout routine that would be building muscle you have to take that into account.

Have you done any body measurements? That is the true test of how well you are doing!
    My personal goal is to be down to 130lbs but with my frame and lean muscle I am not sure that it will be possible to hit that NUMBER, but to achieve a smaller size and look pretty damn good is possible.

I think as a society we are all hung up on numbers. Number of calories we consume daily: which is a must...especially good fats vs bad fats, making sure you are doing the food pyramid. Number of dollars in our bank account...number of items we own...yadda, yadda....I could go on and on with the number thing but I won't...that is a tangent.

DONT LISTEN to anyone that says get rid of carbs...in MODERATION is fine....our bodies need to have several different types of nutrients & vitamins for optimal performance. By omitting too many things we wind up depriving our bodies which then in turn start to store what our body can't turn into fuel into excess fat deposits and the vicious cycle starts all over again.

The only thing a person should ever give up is empty carbs and processed surgars.

Remember lots of color on your plate each and every single time.

I hope this helps!
    Keep up i the right direction!!!!

Agreed!
  • SnSweet
    SnSweet Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been at this for about a month and have lost 6 lbs. Stepped on scale this morning and my weight was up about 1lb. :( Yes I count calories ( some days better than others) and I try to get the motivation to exercise but by the time I get home from teaching 23 bratty kids all I want to is come home and play with my 6 month old! I know...no excuses but I know there are people who feel me. Anyway I've been a bit stressed because my job sucks and I have 3 weeks left of the school year until I quit so it's been a rough few weeks. Every time I put on clothes I just look and feel blah. All I want to do is cry! Sorry for venting...also if you don't have anything nice or positive to say please don't comment. Thanks!

It sounds like you need a break from the job. If you really feel that they are 23 bratty kids, then you should find a new profession. A lot of what's wrong (and right) with kids stems from things at home, but I find kids to be the most wonderful people on earth.

There's been many times when I felt the way you do over the past several years about the weight and when I first got on this site I gained weight and didn't lose - it was pretty frustrating. However you really need to get rid of the excuses and find a way to work at least a half hour of exercise a few days a week in to your schedule and make healthy food choices and just cut down on the quantity of food and you see not only better results on the scale, but also most importantly the NSVs! You've lost 5 pounds in a month! That's great! Keep it up for 12 months - that's 60 pounds! Nothing to scoff at.

Good luck and try to keep a positive mental attitude in life - it helps in so many ways!
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Its just 1 pound,nothing good is easy
  • gigibenton
    gigibenton Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It has taken me since January to lose 10lbs! You are already running circles around me. Am I disgusted with myself? No way..I'm thrilled to be 10 lbs lighter. The scales go up and down all the time. It is a part of the process. Hang in there. You really can do this...you already are!
  • owlpath
    owlpath Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! In 12 months you will be looking at 60 to 72 lbs lost at your current rate. Just keep at it!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Dieting, in the conventional sense, is 20 years out of date scientifically. It doesn't work.

Just get a copy of the book "life without bread" and you will easily lose weight, with no hassles at all.

I think 5 pounds in a month shows that what she's doing IS working. Low carb isn't for most people, it just isn't necessary.
  • babes_mom
    babes_mom Posts: 3
    Options
    Gaining a pound of FAT in one day and a pound of WEIGHT are two different things. There is no way that you gained a pound of FAT in 24 hours. You would have had to eat an extra 3500 calories. 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat. You may not have followed your good-eating guidelines to the T, but I doubt you got off track that much :smile: My grandmother used to say, "A pint's pound the world around". That means 2 cups of extra liquid in your system weighs about a pound. As others have said, a lot of factors can cause you to retain fluid.

You have done a FANTASTIC job to lose 6 pounds in a month! My doctor says one pound a week is a good rate. Even though you think it's "only" 6 pounds, you have exceeded that rate! I know it's frustrating to work hard and not see the "reward" on the scale. Be proud of your progress so far, eat healthfully to benefit your body, and move when you can. You can do it! :smile:
  • macnikki72
    macnikki72 Posts: 10
    Options

It sounds like you need a break from the job. If you really feel that they are 23 bratty kids, then you should find a new profession. [/quote]
  • Bogie0209
    Bogie0209 Posts: 1
    Options
    It's important to distinguish between commitment and expectation. If you are expecting to lose weekly or daily. that puts pressure on to always be thinking I have to .................. If you choose to commit to a healthy life style that includes tracking and watching what you eat, it puts the focus on empowering you to make better choices. And a slip here and there is not the end, because you've chosen a way of life. If I think I am on a "diet", I tend to eat more and that sets me off into negative self-thinking (why don't I have more will power, how come I can't lose as fast as others, I just blew it again--I guess I'll eat the rest of the day and restart my diet tomorrow, etc. etc) A diet implies an endpoint. A life style implies a journey. And when it comes down to it, life is a journey where I get to choose everyday how I want to eat, exercise or live my life. no matter what happens once you're down to the weight you desire, we still have to eat daily and make choices of how I life my life. I believe tracking gives me the feedback I need to make better choices/commitments for the future. Just some food for thought....................
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    Also, I think you should ignore the people telling you to get a new profession... you are 6 months from having a baby, nobody should expect you to NOT be stressed! You chose the profession because you wanted to do that, right? Plus it's the end of the school year, your classroom kids are tired and impatient for summer to begin, you're tired from working and dealing with a 6 month old who's growing faster than you want. ;-). That IS a lot to handle. If you like your profession, stay in it.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options

If someone doesn't have the determination, willpower or the drive to eat right and exercise daily in order to get what they want then they surely don't have those qualities to "slowly" introduce carbs into their diet when needed!! I am tired of hearing all this, "no carb" stuff. The body needs carbs, therefore I feel the "lower your carbs" approach is bound to be a bust for someone who does not know how to exercise or eat right on a regular basis. It comes down to, either you want it or you don't.
  • Blondeone10
    Blondeone10 Posts: 21
    Options
    All the words these people are posting are well said. There are some of us that can't stand our jobs (for whatever reason) and need that break to regroup. I gave up for a bit because of not feeling well and will pick up and try again.
    You have an amazing life with a new child and soon you will have more time to look at what you want to do for yourself to feel better in your clothes.
    I hate the way I feel in my clothes right now. I am 50 tomorrow and not where I wanted to be in my weight loss plan, but I won't quite.
    My job has it's ups and downs, but myfitnesspal is a good venting spot.
    Onward and upward!!!!:smile:
  • mschell2u
    mschell2u Posts: 9
    Options
    Like someone said stress can impede your weightloss. I began my diet recently & from the first day realized it was really stressing me out! So I downloaded a weight loss hypnosis program I bought for $3.99. The difference was Incredible! I consider it a relaxation program. I usually fall asleep before it ends & I can really see a change in my desire to eat & my emotions in general (I too have a job that sucks & it has made me so calm) I first discovered relaxation when I used it to prepare for surgery & it provided me with a recovery my doc couldn't believe. The mind is very powerful & I have seen the power of mind/body connection. Don't give up! You have the power to do anything you desire. I joined MFP after I began my weight loss so my ticker doesn't show it but I've lost 14 lbs pretty quickly.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I empathize! Good luck with everything. Maybe the stress is sabotaging you, I hear that can happen and it's my current hope for wtf is going on with me.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    You sound depressed. It's almost impossible to lose weight if you are depressed and tend to put on weight when you feel bad. It is mostly a matter of calories in and calories out (diet and exercise), but other factors come into play when we are depressed. (I know this both from my own experience and because of the work I do.)

Exercise will help you feel better, but it's hard to get motivated, then if you plan to exercise and don't (regardless of the reason), you'll feel frustrated, and of course, more depressed.

If you don't just keep track of your calories consumed but also keep at or below the number of calories recommended on this site, you'll start losing a bit.

Every day you meet your calorie quota, you should try to feel good about the accomplishment. That will help raise your mood, which in turn will help you stick to your calorie count.

I'm not dieter and I don't exercise. But watching the caloric value of the foods I eat has become a sort of personal contest. I often look at what I am thinking of eating and if the cound is not what I want, I choose something else. At the end of the day, I feel particularly good about meeting the goal. Seems trivial and petty maybe, but it seems to be working.

I don't manage to do this every single day. Most days I do, and the more I can meet the calorie goal, the bigger my clothes seem to get. (How's that!? Better than pounds dropping....) I dropped two sizes in two months. And then I got busy and distracted, and my daughter (who doesn't seem to "get" what's a carb and what's a protein) will bring me something and I don't want to hurt her feelings so I eat it. And those days I don't make my calorie goal, and my body doesn't change.

Then again, I've read that if you violate your calorie goal once in a while, you can kind of trick your metabolism into losing more weight faster. (That doesn't make sense, but hey, maybe it works!)

If you are gaining weight, then you are eating too many calories. Change your eating pattern so you are eating enough to feel full and comforted and then do other things in between so you aren't snacking. Tell the sample ladies at Sam's (or whatever) that you "would but it's not on my diet." Those kinds of things reinforce your new habits.

But you really would do well to get with a counselor and figure out what you can do to improve your mood. Who knows, you might even stop thinking of your students as "those bratty kids," and your job might not "suck" any more.

BTW, I can't seem to get a job, will your school take someone with a master's degree but no teaching certificate? :smile:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    " Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...you're right".
  • sushiforbrains
    Options
    We didn't get fat overnight, and we won't get fit overnight. Don't be so hard on yourself, it sounds to me like you are doing fine.
  • marathon23
    marathon23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great motivation! Direct, thoughtful and honest....that's what gets the job done (for me).