Any other naturals here?

Options
12346»

Replies

• InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Funny enough I just watched the documentary 'good hair' before I saw this thread. I couldnt believe the lengths women are going to to tame african hair. Cos I really thought the women speaking for the program with natural hair had such stunning hair. There was a statistic like 10% of americas population is african american and they account for 80% of the haircare business (which isnt even owned by african american companies for the most part). I know its just a matter of taste but I think natural hair is beautiful and even if it needs some TLC or coaxing to bring it to its full potential its gotta be better than putting relaxer in. In this show they put soft drink cans in the chemical thats in relaxer and the one thatd been in it for a day had disintegrated. By the way O.P your hair is beautiful so shiny and full bodied. Just as nice as any of the hairspirations you posted x

Yes, it's very unfortunate :( I've noticed the same self hate in some white people with curly hair too. Or even straight haired people. It just seems we all want to alter ourselves in one way, or another.

And, yes, relaxer is VERY damaging. It literally changes the structure of the hair.

And thank you so much! I wish I had more volume though, ugh x
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Just wanted to post this pic because I love it.

7245437286_f2116637af.jpg

Can you believe I didn't even realise I had curls like this until I went natural?
  • clarkane8
    clarkane8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Love this forum btw. Since I have gone natural (in terms of texture), I have not dyed my hair. I want to dye it again, but I am so afraid it will totally alter my curls. Anyone have this issue with getting permanent color. For those that have tried a henna treatment, how does that work?? Naturals please feel free to friend me. Would love some more naturalistas as friends!!!

I would advise against it, hun. I have very sensitive hair, and even putting too much oil in it (I put in a little almond oil today to seal, and my hair's kinda greasy :sad:) changes my curls. Dyes were suicide for my hair. Made it dry, and the curls WERE altered. Apart from the prospect of putting such a chemical on my hair, the very real risk of altering my curl pattern puts me off colouring.

I tried the henna, and it was okay. Made my strands thicker and stronger, and I liked the colour. However, the molecules in henna bond to your hair (hence making it stronger) and it can weigh down your curl pattern. It done that to me, so I let the henna grow out. I THINK it's gone now, not too sure. Can't tell :laugh:

This is my natural album on Facebook. I made it public so anyone can see it. It has pictures from the henna treatment in there http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2240364849037.135697.1245537681&type=3

Wow you have beautiful hair!!!!!! Very pretty girl!!:smile:
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My hair is pretty crazy. I forget the type. It's the one that's like, "Crazy, but still somehow curly".

7245361634_30d1844b8c.jpg
    7245384150_928660e5b8.jpg

it straightens well, but it takes fo-ever. I only do it for special occasions.

7245413912_b04156842f.jpg

I need to spend more time keeping it moist, but I can't commit very well. It always looks best when I take care of it... but yeah. I also recently went on a RAMPAGE through it cutting single strand knots out, so I just gave up and took off a few inches. Always looks shoulder length while curly regardless, though. Hahah.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    2nd time transitioning, the first time grew a lot of curls and the hairdresser chopped off 2-3 inches in a so called trim, I was hurt. Done with hair dressers went back to relaxers too much damage. Now 4 months transitioning doing co washes and aphogee protein treatments, try to eat well and take b vitamins and biotin, lots of growth with biotin! Very happy.

Yeah, that's why I don't go to hairdressers anymore. I just try to keep my ends in check my with own cutting scissors.

And well, well, WELL done, girlie. Just remember, if it's your goal, with what you're doing, you can have hair like Chimes or Kimmay in no time!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    My hair is pretty crazy. I forget the type. It's the one that's like, "Crazy, but still somehow curly".

7245361634_30d1844b8c.jpg

it straightens well, but it takes fo-ever. I only do it for special occasions.

7245413912_b04156842f.jpg

I need to spend more time keeping it moist, but I can't commit very well. It always looks best when I take care of it... but yeah. I also recently went on a RAMPAGE through it cutting single strand knots out, so I just gave up and took off a few inches. Always looks shoulder length while curly regardless, though. Hahah.

Absolutely bloody gorgeous. I am so jealous of fellow curlies with volume :(

My hair pretty much always looks shoulder length too :laugh: I mean, look at this pic

321046_2374489322065_1245537681_2952547_6985743_n.jpg

I am ALWAYS cutting my hair, despite wanting long hair since childhood. Though, judging by this picture, my hair was pretty long then (just looked shorter due to shrinkage) - 7245466642_13221bf26d.jpg

Do you know what my problem is? I cut fringes ALL THE FREAKIN' TIME.

I recently cut a fringe

(and this much of hair - eek! - 7245514638_080e825bd5_m.jpg

and now I have a stupid bit of hair in the front that is way shorter :( sometimes, I feel like cutting all my hair, but that would be silly because my fringe will eventually grow.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Love this forum btw. Since I have gone natural (in terms of texture), I have not dyed my hair. I want to dye it again, but I am so afraid it will totally alter my curls. Anyone have this issue with getting permanent color. For those that have tried a henna treatment, how does that work?? Naturals please feel free to friend me. Would love some more naturalistas as friends!!!

I would advise against it, hun. I have very sensitive hair, and even putting too much oil in it (I put in a little almond oil today to seal, and my hair's kinda greasy :sad:) changes my curls. Dyes were suicide for my hair. Made it dry, and the curls WERE altered. Apart from the prospect of putting such a chemical on my hair, the very real risk of altering my curl pattern puts me off colouring.

I tried the henna, and it was okay. Made my strands thicker and stronger, and I liked the colour. However, the molecules in henna bond to your hair (hence making it stronger) and it can weigh down your curl pattern. It done that to me, so I let the henna grow out. I THINK it's gone now, not too sure. Can't tell :laugh:

This is my natural album on Facebook. I made it public so anyone can see it. It has pictures from the henna treatment in there http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2240364849037.135697.1245537681&type=3

Wow you have beautiful hair!!!!!! Very pretty girl!!:smile:

Thank you so much!
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've been natural now about 3-4 years. My testure is about a 3b/4a ( I think) kinky but super soft. When I had it relaxed, it would not hold a curl, and as I am getting older, it seems to be thinning out on the top so I decided to stop relaxing it.
    Much thicker now. I can probably label myself as a product junkie as I have been trying all sort of products to find what I lke and what works best for me. The length is below my shoulder when stretched out . :smile:
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Yeeah, I'm pretty damn jealous of your loose ringlets, IFG.
    I also routinely go through bangs-and-regret phases. "I know what I need.... bangs" "Why did I do this, I NEVER NEED BANGS". Almost every year. I should just get a wig and stop sabotaging myself. ;)
  • msaap
    msaap Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do it for protective styling, because it's quick & easy, and to look more professional in my job setting. In the States, we forget sometimes that words means different things in other countries, here "bl" usually refers to bra length. I have a mixture of 14-18 inches of hair right now. I don't have an issue with thins ends like some naturals, but I do get trims about every 3 months. When I was younger, my hair was pass my butt and even thicker. But, I don't think I want it to get that long again. I just remember people sitting on it all the time.
    I've been natural for about 4 1/2 years, and haven't used heat in about a year. I have thick as hell 4a/4b mixture hair. It's just pass BL now, but I keep this stuff in a pony tail bun all the time. I've recently started thinking about cutting it to my shoulders, because I am so sick of it. I love my hair and I love the fact that it grows so well, although I don't have what most people consider the "ideal" hair type. Seriously, I can't begin to tell you how many people tell me they don't know how I deal with my natural hair and that they would get a relaxer.

People are so ignorant. I haven't had to deal with it myself, as I have the so called 'pretty hair', but I have observed it (though I have had my share of prejudices aimed towards my hair, but I digress). It pisses me off, especially when it's black people saying it. Relaxed hair is only easier to deal with if you don't look after it, which leads to breakage and general unhealthiness. You can have semi healthy relaxed hair, but that takes as much work as natural hair. In which case, you're better off being natural.

Why do you keep it in a bun? Protective styling?
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Completely natural here. I don't ever do anything to my hair nor do I wear makup. It feels so good to be free all the time!

Me too! Getting ready is so easy - detangle and co wash hair, wash body, wash face/brush teeth, cream body, cream face, cocoa butter on lips and go. Don't dry my hair, just let it dry naturally. Low maintenance with better results than I've seen with the majority of make-up/product junkies.

amen! I can't remember the last time I actually did my hair. it's too long to blow dry and straighten, plus curly are sexy! :)
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options

This is what my hair looks like wet!! I feel so pretty when im in the shower, but it dries into a cloud around the edges and wavy in the middle. a kinky halo.
  • Hanablu2
    Hanablu2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    2nd time transitioning, the first time grew a lot of curls and the hairdresser chopped off 2-3 inches in a so called trim, I was hurt. Done with hair dressers went back to relaxers too much damage. Now 4 months transitioning doing co washes and aphogee protein treatments, try to eat well and take b vitamins and biotin, lots of growth with biotin! Very happy.

Yeah, that's why I don't go to hairdressers anymore. I just try to keep my ends in check my with own cutting scissors.

And well, well, WELL done, girlie. Just remember, if it's your goal, with what you're doing, you can have hair like Chimes or Kimmay in no time!

I follow both Chimes/Kimmay and Naptural85 I love their videos! great forum post btw!
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    I've been leaving my gray grow out and love it!

Why?

Because, I am a nurse and I have taken care of too many women, and a few men, who have had cancerous growths removed from their scalps. The one thing that they all have in common is that they colored their hair.

Additionally, I am on an 'authenticity' path and could not justly say I was being authentic when my hair was colored. I don't wear make-up either.

Im like that too...messes up the skin. So doesnt look like im going to dye my hair anytime soon then. :)
    So I am all natural and I love every moment of not having to worry about hair, make-up and all that other stuff.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

This is what my hair looks like wet!! I feel so pretty when im in the shower, but it dries into a cloud around the edges and wavy in the middle. a kinky halo.

Very nice. My hair is somewhat similar. It shrinks a lot upon drying.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've been leaving my gray grow out and love it!

Why?

Because, I am a nurse and I have taken care of too many women, and a few men, who have had cancerous growths removed from their scalps. The one thing that they all have in common is that they colored their hair.

Additionally, I am on an 'authenticity' path and could not justly say I was being authentic when my hair was colored. I don't wear make-up either.

Im like that too...messes up the skin. So doesnt look like im going to dye my hair anytime soon then. :)
    So I am all natural and I love every moment of not having to worry about hair, make-up and all that other stuff.

It's hard to know what to do. I believe women should present themselves as they prefer, but there are studies that men don't lie women with gray hair and many workplaces are still male dominated. I guess it's partly a question of how vulnerable you feel.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I've never done anything to my hair. Too damn poor!
  • TheFunBun
    Options
    Copine and Iva - since y'all have similar hair - what products do you use?

I'm mostly coconut oil, mango butter, and renpure shampoos, but I'm thinking I need to go back to the days of wearing lbs of conditioner in my hair.