guys... don't want to lose weight and be "the smaller guy"?

Options
ok maybe i'm crazy, but there has been times, when i'll be walking somewhere... not necessarily "down a dark alley" but you know, places like that, less safe, and someone looks at you like something might be up, and you're thinking, oh ****, if they did something, could i defend myself? And it's been comforting to know I have a good 50 or 70 lbs on the guy, and ya i know weight's not everything, bruce lee weighted like 130 lbs and could kick anyone's *kitten*, but you got two average people the guy that weights significantly more (within reason, if he's like 500 and can barely walk that doesn't count) is likely to be the victor

like, some guy hit my convertible porsche on the highway, on purpose, because he was mad i went around him a few miles back (crazy right?), and we pulled over and he came storming up to my car (top down, so nothing between us) and i thought I'm glad i have about 70 lbs on this guy, so i just looked at him like he was crazy because i had no doubt i could take him.

does anyone else feel like that sometimes or am i just weird?

Replies

• Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That doesnt apply to me, but I still understand what you're saying.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

ok good, so i'm not nuts... or we're both nuts

ya so when i get on the scale and I've lost X lbs part of me doesn't want to lose the weight as crazy as that sounds.....

i guess if i was 6'6 or something i wouldn't care because i'd be bigger than most but at 6'0 i feel i'm a rather average height.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Options
    Well just turn that into muscle and you will probably feel more secure than you did as a "big" guy.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Take some boxing classes. I started boxing when I was just a kid and have always had a little bit of extra confidence because of it.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Interesting that many guys only worry about being attacked of feeling insecure when they get smaller, because women worry about that sort of thing for most of their life, no matter how physically "big" they are. I think it's a mental perception thing connected to your own belief in your abilities, because even when I weighed less than I do now, I still felt confident in my ability to defend myself, because of my background in martial arts and all the defense-specific training I had.

I can understand where you're coming from, though. Size is a big means of instant intimidation, since weight does carry a lot in terms of physical power, so it would be comforting to have that on your side.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options

ya so when i get on the scale and I've lost X lbs part of me doesn't want to lose the weight as crazy as that sounds.....

i guess if i was 6'6 or something i wouldn't care because i'd be bigger than most but at 6'0 i feel i'm a rather average height.
    im 5'7", i would kill to be 6 foot lol
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    maybe you should mention your car some more. that might help ya feel better...
  • BuckeyeLife
    BuckeyeLife Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I prefer my weight to be deceptive personally. I am always under judged on my weight by people. I suspect once I drop this weight and put on muscle, that is going to happen more. I played hockey and did martial arts some, so I would rather a person misjudge their approach on me and I feel a leaner beefier me would make it even more important.Just my feelings. I ultimately don't worry about fights though, people seem to perceive me as mentally unstable so most people who know me have 0 interest in getting physical and I wouldn't ever waste my effort actually fighting someone I don't know. (And if I am getting attacked in a self defense position my stance is to do debilitating damage temporarily then flee if possible, I have no interest in finding out if the dude has a weapon to make up for his lack of size/fighting ability/penis size.)
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options

That was a bit snarky.... if it irritates you just don't read it.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

He mentions it 3 TIMES in his profile. We get it...
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Options

LMAO
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

LMAO

Have to admit it occurred to me, too. I definitely lol'd at the comments.

That said, I've never really known the feeling, being a relative light-weight for most of my life. One of my life goals is to know what it's like to feel physically intimidating, lol.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Options

LMAO

Have to admit it occurred to me, too. I definitely lol'd at the comments.

That said, I've never really known the feeling, being a relative light-weight for most of my life. One of my life goals is to know what it's like to feel physically intimidating, lol.

Dont get me wrong, i'd love to have a convertable porsche. But that was funny.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I live in a small city that was named "Murder capital of America" by NYtimes. I'm 100 lbs overweight and I can assure you, if somebody wants to hurt you, you "having 30-50 on him" won't mean jack. If you can fight, you can fight. The way you walk and talk makes all the difference. If anything, being overweight makes you look weak.
  • sarahsxt
    sarahsxt Posts: 66
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm way more scared if the guy is lean and agile, than if he is big and tough looking. When I look at a big guy, I think strong, but slow - aka. very easy to dodge and run away from in a fight. When I see a lean and fit guy, I'm like... ****, I have no idea what I'm up against.

Maybe this is because I've been small for my whole life and I strategize differently.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I live in a small city that was named "Murder capital of America" by NYtimes. I'm 100 lbs overweight and I can assure you, if somebody wants to hurt you, you "having 30-50 on him" won't mean jack. If you can fight, you can fight. The way you walk and talk makes all the difference. If anything, being overweight makes you look weak.

^this

U either know how to fight or you don't. In a boxing ring weight might matter but not on the streets.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    A lot of those "big" guys are used to size intimidating people into not fighting. A good crack across the jaw usually knocks their *kitten* out.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    lets put it this way...i've lost about 75 pounds since last august. if i time traveled back and fought myself i would kill my fatter self.

that fat is giving you a false sense of security.
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options

im 5'7", i would kill to be 6 foot lol

Yeah, I'm 5'6", so I hear that. I've never really been afraid of being jumped, though. Never been in a fight in my life.