guys... don't want to lose weight and be "the smaller guy"?

Options

Replies

• madmex569
    madmex569 Posts: 49
    Options
    I've worked on the steets of philly doing repair work underground for a utility for 22 years. I'm 6'0". I felt more comfortable in my lower weight than i did when i was heavy. I felt stronger and that made me feel better about myself. I have never started a fight in my life. I've been in some, barroom stuff. Also don't carry a gun or own a gun. never have and never will. If i can't protect myself or my family without a gun that is pathetic.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

dont believe everything you see from Hollywood. most people in the USA are not walking around with guns.

The county in AZ I live in has an over 50% rate of gun ownership. Statistically speaking, the other individual is more likely than not to have one.

This is not surprising. According to a Gallup poll from last year about 47% of American households report gun-ownership. http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx

you implied the person had a gun on them if you had a confrontation out somewhere. an extremely small percentage of Americans carry their guns with them when they leave the house.

We can argue about what percentage of people have a weapon in their vehicle, but we won't agree and that wasn't the point.

The point was: there are a number of variables you don't account for when you choose to get into a fight. Most likely if someone is looking for a fight, he thinks he has a chance of winning it, or doing enough damage to you.

My view remains: violence / confrontation is not usually a good solution, But certainly we can disagree on this issue. :smile:

i get your point and i agree. a person could have a gun and you'd be in a lot of trouble. i was just disagreeing that it was "likely"(greater than 50% chance) that someone would have a gun when that percentage is probably in the single digits.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Bottom line. Build strength. That. Is. It. If you wanna get bulkier than thats better but fat and out of shape vs. fit and in shape, I would definitely be more intimidated by the guy who's in shape because against the fatty, I know I can run away in the worst situation.

of course, i'm not talking about 250 lbs 10% body fat vs 250 lbs 35% bf, obviously it would be better to be a huge muscular guy vs fat guy, i'm just saying it would suck to cut down from 250 to like, 180, and lose all that. He'd look better with the shirt off but not nearly as intimidating

I'm unsure what kinda areas you've lived in but here people know the difference between 250 lb with 40% body fat vs. a 180 lb with 14% bf who knows how to use his strength. Here is a clip that might give you an idea what I'm talking about

http://youtu.be/OWxlZ52O0rI
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well just turn that into muscle and you will probably feel more secure than you did as a "big" guy.

What he said. Sure fat may be intimidating, but muscle a helluva lot more so.
  • jsapninz
    Options
    dont believe everything you see from Hollywood. most people in the USA are not walking around with guns.

Then I guess that makes me alot more prepared than you. :wink:
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Interesting that many guys only worry about being attacked of feeling insecure when they get smaller, because women worry about that sort of thing for most of their life, no matter how physically "big" they are..

I don't worry about being jumped and I certainly dont worry about being kidnapped. :laugh:
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    maybe you should mention your car some more. that might help ya feel better...

BAZINGER:laugh: It wasn't just me that thought his rambling narrative was just a way to tell us about his car lmfao.

Russ
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options

You must not live in the south then.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    I think it's a natural for guys to size each other up... if you feel like you can take someone, then you're more comfortable around them. As a kid, I wasn't tall, but was also never a skinny or little kid... About 14 or 15, I began to stretch out... and at 17 I was 6'2 180lbs (oh, how I miss 180lbs!). Used to get picked on a bit as a kid... but stretching out and putting on some muscle made the knuckleheads pause before they picked me as their victim.

I've felt since I put on some pounds (top weight was 276), I was more susceptible to being approached if someone wanted trouble... whereas, slimming down more recently makes me feel like I can move better (even if that means high-tailing it outta there if need be), and believe that I can hold my own against anyone looking to test me.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I have always been able to handle myself. In my line of work I am often in less desirable places. They don't build truck stops and warehouses in nice neighborhoods. That said, I would much rather go up against a fat guy than one that is obviously in good shape.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

prepared for?
  • jsapninz
    Options

prepared for?

Anything! :happy:
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    me thinks this topic was about another part of anatomy...
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thats why I don't want to be a real low either. To be too thin without any muscle on me, is not my goal. Goal is to be solid, and strong. Not teeney and fragile. My goal isn't to be the smallest I can be. I think I'm getting your drift on this one.
  • Hiicarrumba
    Options
    I usually get the smaller guy thinking that he can have a go cos I am a bot of a lardy, Never ever started a fight in my life.. ended quite a few though. I think confidence is more of what you need. Like Bruce :)
  • loseweightjames
    Options

Bottom line. Build strength. That. Is. It. If you wanna get bulkier than thats better but fat and out of shape vs. fit and in shape, I would definitely be more intimidated by the guy who's in shape because against the fatty, I know I can run away in the worst situation.

of course, i'm not talking about 250 lbs 10% body fat vs 250 lbs 35% bf, obviously it would be better to be a huge muscular guy vs fat guy, i'm just saying it would suck to cut down from 250 to like, 180, and lose all that. He'd look better with the shirt off but not nearly as intimidating

I'm unsure what kinda areas you've lived in but here people know the difference between 250 lb with 40% body fat vs. a 180 lb with 14% bf who knows how to use his strength. Here is a clip that might give you an idea what I'm talking about

http://youtu.be/OWxlZ52O0rI

interesting video, but if someone asked me which guy i would want to meet in a dark ally and all i had were a photo of each of them, i would definitely choose the 169 lbs guy cuz that 600 lbs guy is a giant (he's 6'8")
  • loseweightjames
    Options
    I usually get the smaller guy thinking that he can have a go cos I am a bot of a lardy, Never ever started a fight in my life.. ended quite a few though. I think confidence is more of what you need. Like Bruce :)

yeah... you're probably right, i'm probably over analyzing it, i'm sure i'm fine, been in lots of fights in my life (army brat), then joined army where they train brazilian jiu-jitsu (sorta like wrestling), so i'm probably better prepared than most, at least i've been in fights and received training
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    maybe you should mention your car some more. that might help ya feel better...

That was a bit snarky.... if it irritates you just don't read it.

You kinda have to read it about once....geeesh

He mentions it 3 TIMES in his profile. We get it...

LMAO

Have to admit it occurred to me, too. I definitely lol'd at the comments.

That said, I've never really known the feeling, being a relative light-weight for most of my life. One of my life goals is to know what it's like to feel physically intimidating, lol.

Dont get me wrong, i'd love to have a convertable porsche. But that was funny.

I admit I thought the same the too..it is not "my car"... Or "my porsche" it is "my convertable porsche"... Little bit of over compensation, but I guess if I could afford one I'd be saying "my 2012 black convertable porche with leather interior and solid gold interior"

Ok enough of that....

I find most guys that want to fight are cocky little skinny guys with big mouths. If a big guy came at me I'd at least know I could outrun him. I have also witnessed really small guys take down big burly lumberjack guys. Size means nothing, using cmmon sense means a lot more.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I think the op is speaking to a component of weight loss where the author is viewing a part of himself with a different perspective.
    A part is happy with the weight loss
    A part is concerned about how others will view him.
    This is part of the transition, I guess.
    I relate in that I even thought my fat meant power. With my pants fitting better, my ring is loose, my watch is loose, I'm down a size in shirts, and when the fatter me puffed out his chest--there was a reaction. Part of me is wondering if a smaller me means a weaker me.............I know that is not true but I am aware of occasional thought.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm way more scared if the guy is lean and agile, than if he is big and tough looking. When I look at a big guy, I think strong, but slow - aka. very easy to dodge and run away from in a fight. When I see a lean and fit guy, I'm like... ****, I have no idea what I'm up against.

Maybe this is because I've been small for my whole life and I strategize differently.

you are right though...it is the smaller ones that people should be afraid of.