How long it took U to lose 30-50lbs? Have you kept if off?

Options

Replies

• verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Jan 2009 ........ started making better food choices & walking each day ..... slow, but sure ..... in 18 months I lost 35#

June 2011 ...... joined a gym ..... lifted weights, did some cardio, took a few yoga classes ..... lost another 5#

May 2012 ...... joined MFP ...... now I'm counting calories & seriously upping the cardio ....... want to lose the last 10-15#

That's my story ..... best of luck to you !
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I started in November but have had 2 months of maintenance due to a lot of stuff going on - but just getting back to it again now - 50lbs so far. I dropped the gym for about 2 months and have been back again for the last 3 weeks now - but yes it has stayed off I honeslty feel that I have "got this" and will stay on the healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life - I think of healthy as normal and anything that creeps in that is a bad choice is recognised as such if that makes sense?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    took 6 months to lose 30, 10 months to lose 50. I'm at 15 months now but I'm still losing.
  • kinzytg
    kinzytg Posts: 42
    Options
    Nine months to lose 56, with 5 to go. However, it has been lifestyle changes not a diet, so I feel better about the long term prospects. And, I hear losing it a bit slower makes it easier for your skin to "come back" into place. Not sure if it is true but seems to have worked for me.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40lbs in 2008. It took me from the beginning of April until mid-July (so about 10lbs per month) when I said "ok I'm done". I went from about 175 to 135.

I have yo-yo'ed around a little bit since then but not dramatically (more than 10lbs in either direction), so I think I've been successful at keeping it off. I weigh 138 right now. I recently learned that I have to eat more than 1200 calories in order to keep the weight off, I can't eat that regularly. It's way too little, especially considering the fact that I'm very active. Staying motivated to exercise has been one of the biggest reasons I've kept the weight off.
  • Gergal73
    Gergal73 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    19 months to lose 38 pounds. I have kept it all off and continue to slowly lose. I also have a bad thyroid and other health issues that cause extremely slow weight loss. I don't care if it takes 5 years to get the weight off as long as it keeps slowly coming off. It's not a race for me, so I'm happy with my progress! :happy:
  • SaraRT1983
    SaraRT1983 Posts: 87
    Options
    4 months on MFP and I'm down 33 lbs.....every day is a struggle so I just try to focus on one day at a time. My scale has gone up and down a lot during these 4 months but I pick right back up where I left off if I had a bad day and try to do better the next!!!
  • FitSuperstar
    FitSuperstar Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Its really encouraging reading everyone else's stories on this thread!

In 2005 I lost 33lbs in 5 months. I exercised 4x a week (about 30 minutes lifting weights and 45-60 minutes of cardio) and a very strict diet of high-protein, low-carb, zero dairy (except for a whey protein shake) zero sugar (except for my choice of an apple or berries once a day - usually on my oatmeal). Calories were about 1600/day. Once I finished the diet/exercise program, I maintained for a year, and crept up maybe 10lbs over a 2 year period after that. Then in 2009 got a high-stress/crazy work schedule job, ate tons of meals out, and gained all the weight back.

Then in 2010 I lost 30lbs in 2 1/2 months. This time I ran 4x a week (joined a running club and trained for a marathon - lots of cardio) and did weights 2x a week. My diet wasn't nearly as strict as the first time, but was all whole foods. I was eating 5x a day and definitely eating carbs - brown rice, quinoa, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, but lots of protein and some fats too. Then I got a boyfriend, started eating out a lot, moved so I wasn't part of the running club, stopped running, and gained back all the weight in 2 years! :/

I'm here trying to lose it once again (third times a charm!), but this time really wanting to make it part of my lifestyle - otherwise I'll just gain it back again.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    9 weeks for the first 30, 18 weeks got me to 50. I'm still working on it though! Hit 70 today and I've been at it for 29 weeks.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It took me about 4 months to lose my first 45 by just eating right, but lately I've been averaging about 7 pounds a month

Edit: I'm still at it so no say on keeping it off, I'm VERY determined to do so.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    LOVE these replies...so inspirational and encouraging they ALL are to me!!!!! Thanks you guys:flowerforyou:
  • shbretired
    shbretired Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    took 4 months to lose 30 lbs, it's still off a year later.

Still trying to lose more....
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20 lbs in 4 months. I have tried every diet out there including low carb - now I can finally eat whatever I want with minimal guilt. I have finally learned to have a relationship with food, exercise and the scale (food).

I am more aware of what a serving is like. If I want chips I count out a serving and then enjoy them, log them and make sure I have enough calories left to count for them. It is awesome.
  • Louisecooper87
    Louisecooper87 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    it took me 11months to lose 45lbs :) seems to be average. All the best at reaching your goals
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    It's definitly differen for everybody. The closer you get to goal, the harder it will be to come off. It also depends if a person has a lot to lose vs. they are 30lbs away from their goal weight. Someone who is 300lbs will most likely be able to lose 30lbs quicker than someone who is 180lbs.

Just keep eating right and keep active and it will come off.

This person has it completely right every individual has a different body type, metabolic rate, calorie needs etc.

That being said 30lb's was 28 days and 50lb's was 62 days

wish i could lose weight that fast

30 lbs in 7 days. yes it was water weight or in my case at the time, soda weight since water was a foreign concept to me. plus I was almost at the 500 lb mark. never gained it back either. it does slow down.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    LOVE reading your replies guys--so encouraging & inspirational to me!!!!
  • m2kh
    m2kh Posts: 17
    Options
    The first several months I was losing 10 lbs. a month and was steadily losing every week. I'm now 9 months in and am averaging closer to 5 lbs. a month with several weeks where nothing happens and then one really good week each month.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs in about 9 months and have kept it off for the past 3 months
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Took me 3 weeks to lose 30lb, and the best part of another 100 have followed it so I doubt they will come back.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've lost 37 pounds so far.

The initial 10 pounds came off in about a month. Then, I didn't lose anything for 6 months. I started MFP at that point and found out I had been under-eating. It took about 6 months for me to lose 25 pounds. Then I got pregnant and gained 15. After my baby was born I lost 30 pounds in about 6 weeks. I've "stalled" again because I'm breastfeeding. In another month or so I'll be done and I'll be trying to lose again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!