"You won't get bulky!" they said...but I am! Please help!

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    This is not directed at any one person...but it never ceases to amaze me how many women believe they put on muscle mass by picking up a pair of dumbbells.

What allows men to gain muscle, is testosterone (there's more to it...but this is a key factor, and without it, you WON'T). In order for men to put on that muscle, they need to eat at a caloric surplus. Men who are doing so, can expect to gain 1-3lbs a month OVER THEIR ENTIRE BODY, of which 1-1.5lbs will be muscle, unless they're on an EXTREMELY dedicated program, in which case the best they could hope for is 2lbs/month.

This is what 1.5lbs of muscle looks like with a garlic clove for scale:

raw-meat.jpg

Now, you're a woman, you have a substantial percentage LESS testosterone than any average male does, even if you have HIGHER testosterone than any average woman. WORST CASE, if you had the SAME levels of testosterone as an AVERAGE man, the above picture is all you're going to gain, lifting HARD, eating a CRAPLOAD (no, not at maintenance).

And remember, that's spread over your ENTIRE body.

I'm sorry ladies, I love you all...and I absolutely hate telling you you're wrong (unless you called me a know it all of course)...but in this case...you are :(.

I love you.

...I love you too...but, I thought we weren't telling anyone about that???

:wink:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You're not even lifting heavy and you just barely got started. I'm with those who say it's water retention. Give it some time. I think you will eventually love your results.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    @MES1119 - You said you were a former swimmer right? Former athletes (men or women) are one of the groups of people that can add a bit of muscle quickly...but you won't continue for long on a deficit...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This is not directed at any one person...but it never ceases to amaze me how many women believe they put on muscle mass by picking up a pair of dumbbells.

What allows men to gain muscle, is testosterone (there's more to it...but this is a key factor, and without it, you WON'T). In order for men to put on that muscle, they need to eat at a caloric surplus. Men who are doing so, can expect to gain 1-3lbs a month OVER THEIR ENTIRE BODY, of which 1-1.5lbs will be muscle, unless they're on an EXTREMELY dedicated program, in which case the best they could hope for is 2lbs/month.

raw-meat.jpg

Now, you're a woman, you have a substantial percentage LESS testosterone than any average male does, even if you have HIGHER testosterone than any average woman. WORST CASE, if you had the SAME levels of testosterone as an AVERAGE man, the above picture is all you're going to gain, lifting HARD, eating a CRAPLOAD (no, not at maintenance).

I'm sorry ladies, I love you all...and I absolutely hate telling you you're wrong (unless you called me a know it all of course)...but in this case...you are :(.

but it's all relative right? it's not the amount that's necessarily the problem just the look. yes women in general can't gain muscle as quickly as men but SOME women can gain muscle quicker than other women and some of those women who are easy gainers might not necessarily like the look it gives them.

however, i do believe that most women on here who complain about packing on muscle when they start lifting aren't really gaining muscle. mainly because if you were that type of person, you'd know about it even before you stepped foot in a gym because you'd already look like you worked out and you'd already start off with higher than average strength than other newbs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It's simples.

You started with legs with less muscle.

You added muscle.*

The fat hasn't started to come off from that area yet.

Thus, legs are seemingly bigger.

Persevere.

*Newbie gains / water retention in existing muscle

This!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My legs are always "puffy" and really hard after a good lifting session that hits them hard. It's just glycogen and water and will go away in a few days. You can't put on muscle tissue that fast, especially if you're a woman on a calorie deficit.

Don't let it get to you too much.
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well trainers have said that I wouldn't bulk up but I do everytime. I get big muscles...low weights and lotsa reps or heavy weights and few reps. I do exercises that make long lean muscles only. Pilates...yoga.... Otherwise I just get bigger! So I understand exactly what you mean...mind you I'd love the muscles that are free of cellulite! Lucky!
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    but it's all relative right? it's not the amount that's necessarily the problem just the look. yes women in general can't gain muscle as quickly as men but SOME women can gain muscle quicker than other women and some of those women who are easy gainers might not necessarily like the look it gives them.

however, i do believe that most women on here who complain about packing on muscle when they start lifting aren't really gaining muscle. mainly because if you were that type of person, you'd know about it even before you stepped foot in a gym because you'd already look like you worked out and you'd already start off with higher than average strength than other newbs.

I think you missed my point, which was whether it's relative or not...as a woman eating on a calorie deficit (or even at maintenance as you suggested for yourself), you didn't gain ANY visible muscle (if a man gains 1-1.5lbs on a bulking/surplus phase, lifting hard...with oodles of testosterone to work with, what do you really think you gained without the testosterone, at maintenance/deficit?). Human physiology just doesn't work that way.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    you probably look damn good anyway.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Well trainers have said that I wouldn't bulk up but I do everytime. I get big muscles...low weights and lotsa reps or heavy weights and few reps. I do exercises that make long lean muscles only. Pilates...yoga.... Otherwise I just get bigger! So I understand exactly what you mean...mind you I'd love the muscles that are free of cellulite! Lucky!

^^^^

This is what I mean. What you've just said is physiologically impossible eating on a calorie deficit, even as a man. There are 'newbie' gains as have been mentioned, but I hate talking about them because then people latch onto that and assume it means them. Those gains are VERY small, and only happen for the very overweight, and again...they AREN'T going to be visible gains.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

raw-meat.jpg

Damnit, your pic made me hungry :(
  • crisanderson27
    Options

raw-meat.jpg

Damnit, your pic made me hungry :(

I just had pork loin roast, or it would have me as well lol.
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    Options
    I agree with a lot of comments here.. Give it time.. Your muscles are in repair.. With all tissue strain there will be swelling which is fluid.. You most certainly will NOT bulk using light weights.. But any repetitious movement that causes stress to the muscle will no doubt react.. Just be patient and keep at it..your body WILL adjust and you will be thankful when it does that you pushed yourself.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

I think you missed my point, which was whether it's relative or not...as a woman eating on a calorie deficit (or even at maintenance as you suggested for yourself), you didn't gain ANY visible muscle (if a man gains 1-1.5lbs on a bulking/surplus phase, lifting hard...with oodles of testosterone to work with, what do you really think you gained without the testosterone, at maintenance/deficit?). Human physiology just doesn't work that way.

ok, we'll just have to agree to disagree. i spent 8 years as an athlete (was well on my way to gaining a spot on the women's rugby world cup team until an injury set me back) where i significantly increased my muscle mass while eating on maintenance of course i made even more gains when i ate above maintenance.i dont know about human physiology and i dont really care to compare what my results are to some random dude's results, i just know what happens to me and my body.

for the record i do come from a pretty athletic gene pool that includes soccer players, boxers, powerlifters, sprinters, football players, basketball players, decathelets - both male and female - so it's probably easier for me because my genes were built that way to do just that.

anyway, i see no reason why these topics need to become arguments. if people want to believe they are gaining oodles of pounds of muscles by lifting a barbie weight a trillion times then that's kind of their problem isnt it?
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    anyway, i see no reason why these topics need to become arguments. if people want to believe they are gaining oodles of pounds of muscles by lifting a barbie weight a trillion times then that's kind of their problem isnt it?

I agree with this part :).

Although, the problem with them believing it, is that they then tell other people that that's what's happening, and the misinformation spreads. This dissuades otherwise willing people from performing a form of exercise that is incredibly good for them in so many ways...all because of something that isn't true anyhow.

And yes, while it might be 'their problem'...as a helpful person who doesn't like to see people frustrated and disheartened, it's sort of hard to stand by and watch it happen.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Did you take measurements? It's absolutely impossible for your measurements to go up while you are in a calorie deficit. So most likely you aren't in a calorie deficit. Even if you are genetically superior and put on a whole pound of muscle while losing a whole pound of fat (which is damn near impossible) your volume would decrease because the size of a pound of muscle is smaller than that of fat.

So basically, either your subjective evaluation method is flawed or you aren't eating in a calorie deficit.

There's a lot of answers here, and I'm sure several are good (and that some are just not so much) but this is your second answer and it wins the thread. It is EXACTLY right. I've been saying about myself, lifting doesn't make me bulky, being fat makes me bulky. I've been lifting for about 10 months. I've been doing New Rules since late October, so 7 months. In all of that time I've lifted "heavy" in that I don't just pick one weight and use it for all lifts, but I pick a weight that will challenge me by my last reps. I have gotten slimmer. Then I was getting ready for Tough Mudder, and getting hectic in life and getting a little grumpy and for several weeks my nutrition has not been on point. I am gaining weight and I KNOW that it isn't more than a pound of muscle.

The thing about lifting is that it makes you hungry. If you aren't eating enough protein, serious heavy lifting will have your body demand that you fuel it. Fuel it right with adequate protein and you can maintain your deficit a little more easily. But if you're gaining weight or size, you're not eating at a deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Bulkiness comes from calorie surplus. If you legs are "swole" from lifting it's usually going to be from water retention in the cells, glycogen storage in the muscle (with the anticipation that another leg workout is ensuing), and inflammation from muscle from being worked.
    It happens to EVERYONE who lifts. It will go away in a couple of weeks or so as LONG as you are consistent. Don't fret, continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    crisanderson has answered the question already.

But can all you fast bulking women send some more testosterone my way please? :happy:
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    It's simples.

You started with legs with less muscle.

You added muscle.*

The fat hasn't started to come off from that area yet.

Thus, legs are seemingly bigger.

Persevere.

*Newbie gains / water retention in existing muscle

This ^^^ Exactly!