"You won't get bulky!" they said...but I am! Please help!

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    crisanderson has answered the question already.

But can all you fast bulking women send some more testosterone my way please? :happy:

me too LOL

I have PCOS & doctors tell me that my testosterone levels are above average for a woman & I always have a muscular build ever since I was a kid. I was always stronger than a lot of girls until now. Modesty aside when I was a kid, I can lift my desk chair made from heavy wood & stainless steel just like my male classmates & without their help.

However despite of this, I still have difficult time gaining muscle. I don't understand how some women think that they "bulk up" very easily. And even if you do, you still won't bulk up like a man can & even men find it difficult to gain muscle. Sorry ladies but that is the truth. It takes YEARS of consistent training plus a strict diet (plus additional "help" for the ladies) to have a body builder type of physique. Imagine if it were that easy to bulk up, then every man on this planet would be walking around with an abs, biceps, triceps etc. but no that's not what you see in real life. In fact those muscular men are hard to find. What more for a woman.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Do Pump classes. They will not bulk you up at all. Do light to medium weights. Talk to the instructer before hand and they will help you out.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    water as said before not bulk impossible

I just started lifting last month. I`m lifting HEAVY and I am up in weight (about 3pounds up) and puffy but I know it will go back down its just water not a big deal at all it will go away it just takes time. The end result after is worth the little water retention we go threw at the begining so just keep going and I would suggest going Heavy rather than light on the weights
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Do Pump classes. They will not bulk you up at all. Do light to medium weights. Talk to the instructer before hand and they will help you out.

Body Pump gives you exactly none of the benifits of heavy strength training.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options

Well Im giving her MY opinion. Im merely suggesting she try something that may help to make her leaner not bulky. For gods sake she's not in training to be a weight lifter!
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This is not directed at any one person...but it never ceases to amaze me how many women believe they put on muscle mass by picking up a pair of dumbbells.

What allows men to gain muscle, is testosterone (there's more to it...but this is a key factor, and without it, you WON'T). In order for men to put on that muscle, they need to eat at a caloric surplus. Men who are doing so, can expect to gain 1-3lbs a month OVER THEIR ENTIRE BODY, of which 1-1.5lbs will be muscle, unless they're on an EXTREMELY dedicated program, in which case the best they could hope for is 2lbs/month.

THIS^ I played high school football, ate a high-protein diet WAAY over maintenance, and did HEAVY lifting 3-4 x a week outside of actual practice 6 days a week. I tried, and tried to gain muscle, but you know what? The boys had more testosterone and would get ripped doing half the work I was doing. Sucks, but there you have it.

OP: Probably water weight and swollen muscles. Check it again in 4-6 weeks. :)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Well Im giving her MY opinion. Im merely suggesting she try something that may help to make her leaner not bulky. For gods sake she's not in training to be a weight lifter!

Neither am I...and neither are 95% of the women on this forum who are finding all of the health and fat burning benefits of heavy strength training.

And I understand your opinion...and it's definitely your right (which I fully respect!) to give it...just like it's mine to give mine in return.
  • sarahkittymeow
    Options
    Thanks everyone, took me a bit to read through but I got a plethora of good advice and suggestions, also reasons why I'm probably totally wrong and should take a chill pill. I appreciate everyone's input! :)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy.

I worked out with a trainer on Saturday, and weighed myself Sunday morning and I'd put on 3.1kgs. Three kilos.

I didn't put on 3kgs worth of muscle overnight. My muscles are storing water and glycogen to repair themselves.

My thighs, lower back and biceps feel tight and swollen today. That's not man muscle making me bulky.... it's just water... it happens. Breathe. Keep on swimming.
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump for later read
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    This is not directed at any one person...but it never ceases to amaze me how many women believe they put on muscle mass by picking up a pair of dumbbells.

What allows men to gain muscle, is testosterone (there's more to it...but this is a key factor, and without it, you WON'T). In order for men to put on that muscle, they need to eat at a caloric surplus. Men who are doing so, can expect to gain 1-3lbs a month OVER THEIR ENTIRE BODY, of which 1-1.5lbs will be muscle, unless they're on an EXTREMELY dedicated program, in which case the best they could hope for is 2lbs/month.

This is what 1.5lbs of muscle looks like with a garlic clove for scale:

raw-meat.jpg

Now, you're a woman, you have a substantial percentage LESS testosterone than any average male does, even if you have HIGHER testosterone than any average woman. WORST CASE, if you had the SAME levels of testosterone as an AVERAGE man, the above picture is all you're going to gain, lifting HARD, eating a CRAPLOAD (no, not at maintenance).

And remember, that's spread over your ENTIRE body.

I'm sorry ladies, I love you all...and I absolutely hate telling you you're wrong (unless you called me a know it all of course)...but in this case...you are :(.

All other replies should be deleted. This is the answer to any weight lifting question by women.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I *HAVE* gained muscle (1 inch in each arm over my lowest measurement and 1/2 inch on each thigh) on a deficit... but it has taken over a year for it to happen...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Most of the women here that lift heavy are not training to be power lifters. Lifting heavy will not make women bulk unless they are on a surplus, put hours and hours in the gym, are genetically predisposed and/or are taking 'supplements'.
    Options
    Most of the women here that lift heavy are not training to be power lifters. Lifting heavy will not make women bulk unless they are on a surplus, put hours and hours in the gym, are genetically predisposed and/or are taking 'supplements'.

And even if they're one of the "genetically gifted" ones, still they won't bulk up like a man can unless they're on roids. Again sorry but its just not possible. The ones who say they bulk up more easily when compared to a lot of women but compared to a man, NO. And note that those people who have this type of genetics are VERY RARE to find. So for an average woman, it will take her one in a million chance to be one of those people. Mostly we assume a pound gained or getting a bigger thighs, arms or butt from muscle gain but it is mostly water or sometimes bones (yes our bones are becoming more dense when we lift weights). Doctors assessed me that I have an above average testosterone levels for a woman & its one of the major contributors which is why my reproductive system is not functioning properly (I'm not proud to admit it but its true). However I'm still struggling to build muscle even on a calorie surplus & a protein intake of 1g per lb. of my body weight.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I was going t chime in on this one but looks like its already had it answered... Good luck
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just wonder why none of the women who believe they are one of the genetic anomolies ever actually utilise that gift by becoming lifters? I have attended both powerlifting and olympic competitions and watched some ELITE lifters and not one had a physique that looked 'bulky' or 'manly'. I am not going to tell you that you don't know your own body (others have done that quite well), I will just say that rather than setting you sights on skinny jeans, set them on Olympic gold :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

And even if they're one of the "genetically gifted" ones, still they won't bulk up like a man can unless they're on roids. Again sorry but its just not possible. Doctors assessed me that I have an above average testosterone levels for a woman & its one of the major contributors which is why my reproductive system is not functioning properly (I'm not proud to admit it but its true). However I'm still struggling to build muscle even on a calorie surplus & a protein intake of 1g per lb. of my body weight.

I like you! I'm always afraid to say "that's physically impossible" because I know that PCOS can be a different situation and I don't know enough about it to know what is or isn't possible, but it seems it is impossible, regardless.

Thanks! I hope you grow lots of sexy lady muscles!
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    As Mack from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia would say, "Cultivating lean muscle mass" is not easy to do. You need actually press hard and keep on it for many, many years. With women it is even harder. A few weeks of weight training isn't going to make your legs gigantic. Like others have said - be patient and persevere. There is nothing wrong with having athletic legs. Good luck!
    Options

And even if they're one of the "genetically gifted" ones, still they won't bulk up like a man can unless they're on roids. Again sorry but its just not possible. Doctors assessed me that I have an above average testosterone levels for a woman & its one of the major contributors which is why my reproductive system is not functioning properly (I'm not proud to admit it but its true). However I'm still struggling to build muscle even on a calorie surplus & a protein intake of 1g per lb. of my body weight.

I like you! I'm always afraid to say "that's physically impossible" because I know that PCOS can be a different situation and I don't know enough about it to know what is or isn't possible, but it seems it is impossible, regardless.

Thanks! I hope you grow lots of sexy lady muscles!

Thanks & I hope so :flowerforyou:

So far I only gained 2 lbs. after a year of heavy weight lifting & I don't even know if its from muscles or bones but I keep on losing inches. Yes PCOS is really tough & in fact it took me 3 long years just to lose those 50 pounds (22 kilos) or its like 0.3 lb. lost per week & that's me being generous to myself.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't have a source offhand (I'm sure you can google it) but I read recently that women naturally have approx. 1/16 of the testosterone of men, meaning it is 16x harder to gain muscle mass for the average healthy woman than man. Just a fun fact to throw at this conversation.