Replies

• blairh10
    blairh10 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for this! I'm on part 1 :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Just finished part one. I was worried a little at the beginning that it was going to be one of those feel good documentaries that's light on facts and heavy on propaganda but it has been totally absorbing and more than a little alarming. I am already planning to make hubby watch it later. :happy:

jnh17: I really think you are oversimplifying the issue when you say 'The level has grown because of laziness. Period.' But even if it were down purely to laziness, it still raises the question of why people are more lazy now than they used to be thirty years ago.

Like I said early, it's gotten much easier to be lazy. I'm 29 and when I was growing up, there were already simple inventions/gadgets that made things easier (ie, less work or activity) so this generation is built more on not having to do much. We can do most things from our computer. If the computer can't do things such as cutting the grass, we can either sit and do it or pay someone to do it. I was laughing at a friend the other day that wouldn't change the radio station b/c she didn't want to have to take her hand off the wheel and move it all the way to the console to press the button. There's not doubt people are more lazy. The "convenience" industry has moved just as quickly to food. It's easier and cheaper to eat out or fast food so you have a diet much higher in calories and a life style much lower in activity. There was poverty, single parents, shift workers, etc 30 years ago. What would you attribute the sharp climb to?
    But let's look at it beyond just having the gadgets. Growing up I, my parents had a good size house. Part of my chores was to clean the house and do the lawn. We still do that today (unless we're rich enough to pay someone for it) and even though some equipment may make it easier, I've gotten into a MUCH BIGGER house with a much bigger lawn. So even with better technology, I can still expend the physical activity equal to what I did as a kid because I have to cover more area.
    And again time restriction does have an effect. The freeway where I used to live didn't have much traffic when I was growing up, but now everytime I visit my parents (including on the weekends) I have to track the traffic to figure out what time to leave. Commuting has risen significantly and commuting times as well. Statistics show that longer commute times lead to less desired physical activity, higher stress and less rest time, ALL factors that contribute to obesity.
    While I do find that there is less physical activity than before, the highest rises in obesity are amongst those who just indulge in high calorie foods and several meals. Farm working is one of the hardest jobs to do physically, yet even the laborers are gaining weight.
    So like the documentary has been showing, it's not just about lack of physical activity, there many other factors (some like genetics and predisposition that we haven't even discussed yet) that contribute to the problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just finished part one. I was worried a little at the beginning that it was going to be one of those feel good documentaries that's light on facts and heavy on propaganda but it has been totally absorbing and more than a little alarming. I am already planning to make hubby watch it later. :happy:

jnh17: I really think you are oversimplifying the issue when you say 'The level has grown because of laziness. Period.' But even if it were down purely to laziness, it still raises the question of why people are more lazy now than they used to be thirty years ago.

Like I said early, it's gotten much easier to be lazy. I'm 29 and when I was growing up, there were already simple inventions/gadgets that made things easier (ie, less work or activity) so this generation is built more on not having to do much. We can do most things from our computer. If the computer can't do things such as cutting the grass, we can either sit and do it or pay someone to do it. I was laughing at a friend the other day that wouldn't change the radio station b/c she didn't want to have to take her hand off the wheel and move it all the way to the console to press the button. There's not doubt people are more lazy. The "convenience" industry has moved just as quickly to food. It's easier and cheaper to eat out or fast food so you have a diet much higher in calories and a life style much lower in activity. There was poverty, single parents, shift workers, etc 30 years ago. What would you attribute the sharp climb to?
    But let's look at it beyond just having the gadgets. Growing up I, my parents had a good size house. Part of my chores was to clean the house and do the lawn. We still do that today (unless we're rich enough to pay someone for it) and even though some equipment may make it easier, I've gotten into a MUCH BIGGER house with a much bigger lawn. So even with better technology, I can still expend the physical activity equal to what I did as a kid because I have to cover more area.
    And again time restriction does have an effect. The freeway where I used to live didn't have much traffic when I was growing up, but now everytime I visit my parents (including on the weekends) I have to track the traffic to figure out what time to leave. Commuting has risen significantly and commuting times as well. Statistics show that longer commute times lead to less desired physical activity, higher stress and less rest time, ALL factors that contribute to obesity.
    While I do find that there is less physical activity than before, the highest rises in obesity are amongst those who just indulge in high calorie foods and several meals. Farm working is one of the hardest jobs to do physically, yet even the laborers are gaining weight.
    So like the documentary has been showing, it's not just about lack of physical activity, there many other factors (some like genetics and predisposition that we haven't even discussed yet) that contribute to the problem.

IDEA Fitness member

I swear, I plan on watching but with my kids, it'll take me a good wk/hour to get through it. So you're saying that on this documentary, genetics and predisposition plays *more* of a role now in obesity than it did years ago? I mean, I guess I could believe this if people with the "fat" gene or whatever started breeding more but it just doesn't make sense?
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    To me, it seems that they blame the problem mostly on inactivity and convenience of food.
    I would have liked for the documentary to get more into how the government played a pretty big role in the obesity problem + other strongy associated medical conditions from a nutrition point of view...subsidizing certain crops, controlling farming methods, backing GMO foods, bad food pyramid designs, the spread of misinformation about vegetable oil, low-fat foods, and cholesterol, making obesity profitable, etc.

I'm sorry to say that this whole "more fruits, more vegetables" mantra oversimplifies things and doesn't work. Nutrition is more complex than that
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    will be watching it soon
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

If 2 adults are currently at the same weight and height with one having got there by a 20% loss from being overweight and the other who just kept the same weight since childhood, the adult who lost 20% of their bodyweight will have to eat 20% less in calories than their counterpart. So where the one eats 2000 calories in day, the other would have to eat 1600 calories TO KEEP at the same weight or eat 1800 calories and then do 200 calorie burn of exercise to comp.

Interesting! Did they say why?
    Thermogenic set point.

IDEA Fitness member

Does this ever get better over time?
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    To me, it seems that they blame the problem mostly on inactivity and convenience of food.
    I would have liked for the documentary to get more into how the government played a pretty big role in the obesity problem + other strongy associated medical conditions from a nutrition point of view...subsidizing certain crops, controlling farming methods, backing GMO foods, bad food pyramid designs, the spread of misinformation about vegetable oil, low-fat foods, and cholesterol, making obesity profitable, etc.

I'm sorry to say that this whole "more fruits, more vegetables" mantra oversimplifies things and doesn't work. Nutrition is more complex than that

They get into this in parts three and four. Really interesting stuff. So glad I watched this.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I swear, I plan on watching but with my kids, it'll take me a good wk/hour to get through it. So you're saying that on this documentary, genetics and predisposition plays *more* of a role now in obesity than it did years ago? I mean, I guess I could believe this if people with the "fat" gene or whatever started breeding more but it just doesn't make sense?
    Seems like it. And from what I've read from scientific journals, it's accurate. Think about it, when we were growing up, how many 6 foot 4th graders were there in your school? Well it's not uncommon now. Which means there have been gene mutations since 30 years ago.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Okay finally gonna watch the children's segment of this documentary now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • kateprkr
    kateprkr Posts: 1
    Options
    Could you all be able to suggest me how to control on the diet6 that i am currently consuming, I need to eat after every 4 hours and i am a very big fan of junk food, I love junk food I need to control on all this but need some motivation..

doctors excuses
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

The children's segment is pretty sad
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

The children's segment is pretty sad

Yes, it was! I was shocked at the high percentages of type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure in children! Fortunately, this documentary was an eye-opener for my daughter. She's a single mom who works full-time and had fallen into the bad habit of hitting fast food places for dinner. I was worried that my 18-month-old granddaughter was getting too much junk in her diet. Since watching the show, my daughter has started eating and feeding the baby much better, but she still needs to be nutritionally educated. Thankfully, when I offered to help her tweak her fridge and pantry when I come into town for a visit, she accepted. We'll be dumping all the processed, junky, high-sugar foods and going grocery shopping. This should be an interesting process.:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Could you all be able to suggest me how to control on the diet6 that i am currently consuming, I need to eat after every 4 hours and i am a very big fan of junk food, I love junk food I need to control on all this but need some motivation..

doctors excuses
    Slowly start changing some of your choices out. Nothing wrong with junk food occasionally but it can't be the staple of your diet if you're trying to lose weight effectively. Sub sandwiches for burgers. Eat baked instead of fried chips. Switch from regular to diet soda. IMO, to fast of a transition can usually lead to frustration and quitting.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    It's good. You can watch it here: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films.

Thanks for the online heads up. I nearly blew past it since I do't get HBO, so glad it's available online. Have watch bits of all four segments; found I already knew much of the content, but only learned inthe last 8-9 months I've been working at changing my live for a healthier one. For me, this is preaching to the choir, but for family
    maybe it'll reach them where I've not been able to. Thanks so much.
  • Casey45
    Options
    Quote: [/quote]Subjective. Do you live at the poverty level? Are you a single mother who has to work 3 jobs to survive? Is the environment you live in one where cost of "good" food isn't high?
    What you may deem as "busy" may be light work to someone else. While I agree that we can't really blame anyone else, we also can't expect people to not take the easier route when they are just looking for a way to survive. What it comes down to is that we as a nation have to work in conjunction with others to help solve the issue. Demographics have A LOT to do with the obesity rate. End Quote.

Good points. I'm originally from metro Detroit, not the city center, although I worked a lot in the heart of the city. I have never seen as high a concentration of McDonald's, KFCs and other dangerous fast food outlets as I saw in Detroit. More importantly, when I'd go into neighborhood grocery stores, the price and quality of fresh foods was repectively higher and poorer than in my suburban market. For innercity residents to access the better food purchase options is a tremendous challenge. Imagine trying to do a week's grocery shopping in a 'good' suburban market, then bring it home on the bus. I knew people who had to do it this way and it was exhausting. Meanwhile, for the price of a couple of heads of lettuce a person can get far more calories and volume (and feel fuller) at McDonalds.

I'd just add that it's more about socio-economics that straight out demographics (but that might be a bit nit-picky). Regarless of how you name some of the contributing causes, we as a nation have to work on this problem.

Again, Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Will share.
  • Casey45
    Options
    The segment about the "set point" was REALLY depressing!!!

In a way yes, but I've been approaching this as a life style change and think I've accepted that for me, a lower calorie consumption rate for the rest of my life is the way it has to be. Kinda like the interview of the two twin brothers, one with diabetes the other who took action and doesn't have it. The diabetic brother looked right at the camera and told the truth, paraphrasing: 'I knew I was at risk and pre-diabetic but chose not to do anything about it. Now I'm paying the price.'

I knew my whole overweight life that it wasn't healthy, (although the news about always having to consume fewer calories is newer), so now I'm getting healthy, consuming fewer calories that a life-long normal weight person does is just the way it has to be. Besides, I feel so damn good now, it's worth it.

So, cheer up! Focus on how much better you feel being fit, stronger and slimmer! :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It was good to see the kids taking it upon themselves to ensure that they got better lunches in their schools. I'm all for diverting money to ensure that lunch options are better for kids, especially today since as we know, they are the future and what kind of future would it be if the majority of kids end up growing up diabetic, obese and higher risk for disease?

IDEA Fitness member
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'll have to watch this later. Thanks!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have all 4 parts DVR'd for later. Can't wait to watch!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Wait until you see part 4. That will REALLY piss you off. Very staggering stuff going on. My guy wasn't remotely interested in a healthier lifestyle. He caught most of part 4 of the series (I hid the remote because I wanted to watch it) and even he was pissed about the facts shown. Time to wake up and smell the coffee people, the government is not your friend, and cares nothing about your health.