Insanity? I want to hear from real people

Options
124»

Replies

• hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't tried it because I prefer to do things like boxing and such. HOWEVER, a friend of mine on my friends list does it all the time, he's at his goal weight now after losing more than 50 lbs and still does it all the time and loves it. From what I understand, its a hard workout but not impossible and anyone at any weight can start it. You might have to start slow in the beginning, pause alot during the workouts and it might take longer than the time on the box but you can do it and if you stick to it, you will see results!

That would be me. I actually didn't do Insanity until after a couple of rounds of P90X and needed to change things up. I probably lost my last 8 lbs on Insanity. I like it for me in that I can get a good workout in under an hour from home with no additional equipment. I don't care for machines and it gets hot here in Florida that it works for me as an indoor way of getting cardio. The videos can feel repetitive after a while and I now do it 2-3 times a week mixed in with other workouts. I didn't stick with their meal plan but just ate sensibly and within my calories set through MFP, but did get food ideas from their nutrition guide.
  • DonSlowikFitness
    Options
    I am a coach and the results made me decide to become a coach. I went from 272 to 230 first round, I fill so much better about myself and decided to help other people. I also help other people on here that are not under me. Just because we are a coach for Beachbody does not mean all of us are out to steal your money. Actually I try to save people money on Beachbody products and not just go all out and buy an expensive program that will be stashed in their closet and not used. They are some bad coaches out there that give some of us a bad rap, if you don't like your coach just change to another one. If you do and they want you to start buying stuff, find another one. Anyone wants to know about Beachbody products message me and I will give you the information and the name of 5 different coaches and you pick who you want. Your coach should be just like shopping for your program, you need to find someone you can relate to and that will motivate you.
    Don
  • bjnorvell
    bjnorvell Posts: 43
    Options
    I am a coach and i am on my 4th week (did week 3 twice by accident) and have already lost 15 lbs, and dropped 2 pants sizes!!!
  • mustangmama3
    mustangmama3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Love, love love it!!! Im on week 2 day 2 and im hooked!!!
  • nicholebean
    nicholebean Posts: 160
    Options
    Not a coach, but loved insanity! Lost about 13lbs during the program! I had great results and will probably do a second round sometime soon. Here are my results:

427954_635327382319_64801275_32732992_105923662_n.jpg

536082_635327142799_64801275_32732989_1253753674_n.jpg

564731_635327347389_64801275_32732991_1782903554_n.jpg

I would say the workouts were pretty hard in the beginning but as I got stronger they got easier!
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Not a coach, but loved insanity! Lost about 13lbs during the program! I had great results and will probably do a second round sometime soon. Here are my results:

427954_635327382319_64801275_32732992_105923662_n.jpg

536082_635327142799_64801275_32732989_1253753674_n.jpg

564731_635327347389_64801275_32732991_1782903554_n.jpg

I would say the workouts were pretty hard in the beginning but as I got stronger they got easier!

That's so awesome! Were you following the nutritional plan?
  • nicholebean
    nicholebean Posts: 160
    Options

That's so awesome! Were you following the nutritional plan?

I did a modified version of it since I am a vegetarian, but for the most part I did follow it!
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I am starting my 3rd week of Insanity. I am not following the meal guide but I am doing their calorie intake and am eating as healthy as I can. I don't drink, smoke or snack on candy even if it fits in my calories.

The workouts are hard but they should be to get yourself in shape. To all that didn't see much results do u have much to lose or are u already small? I just wonder as I have not ran across anyone that didn't get great results.

I weigh(but don't trust the scale), measure and take pics every 7 days. It is the best way to see changes in your body. Remember if u r not losing u r most likely gaining muscle which is why the scale is not going down but u r getting the inches off.

I am 29, mother to 5 small children, 5'5" 177lbs. Make sure to eat enough as well. Eating less calories will only make u not lose as your body will think u r killing it by not fueling it but working your butt off in exercise.

I multiplied by the 5 days of working out not the 6 and subtracted 750 calories instead of the 500 just cause it is hard for me to lose weight as I am one that gains weight just thinking about food.

I also think most everyone needs two rounds of this to get the absolute body they want and some even need 3 rounds. But that being said 4months is not long to get a great body.
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am currently on the 2nd phase of Insanity right now. Insanity works. It is all cardio and you wil feel it. Keep at it and go slow at first and you will definately reap the benefits. I am not a beach body coach but have been thinking about it. Currently I havd completed. 2 stints of P90X, then went on to P90X2 and I am currently doing the Insanity program and P90X back to back. Beach body workouts are great. Feel free to shoot me a friend request.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • summerbabe65
    summerbabe65 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am not a coach but did just complete the Insanity program. I have mixed feelings about my results but would encourage anyone to do it- if you have a basic level of fitness that is.

I loved the program and the workouts- I appreciate the structure of the program and the intensity. It is hard work, takes commitment, and you really have to work to get through each workout. You also get to experience the sense of accomplishment for completing them.

So-my results... I am pretty healthy, fairly clean diet and in shape to begin with. I did not miss a single work out and worked my butt off each time. I do not follow super strict diet guidelines; if I want to have that cookie, every once in a while I will have one... I exercise moderation but maintain a very healthy diet overall. I did not use the Shakeology or results and recovery drinks or any of those things.

So I started at 117 lbs and after month 1 I was down 3lbs and about 4 inches. I was very pleased and so happy with the results! I did month 2 which is way harder and longer every day- I thought for sure I would see an amazing change as hard as I was working. I didn't loose any weight and only lost 1.5 inches in month 2. Additionally you do a fit test to track your improvement in fitness, while mine improved significantly after the first month I didn't really see a change the second. Grrr!

I am not sure what happened, maybe to much sugar from fruit, maybe I didn't eat enough calories, maybe I had too many??? I just wanted to share my real life experience. I hope it helps!

I am in the same boat - I am 12 days out from completing the program and although I have loved the workouts and the strength I have gained from doing them I haven't seen a decrease in my weight or inches. I do have more defination in my arms and legs and can do the fit test and workouts from begining to end. I just recently purchased a hrm and I plan on giving it another 60 days to see if I can figure out what I need to do to get the maximum results.

My husband has been doing it along side of me and he has lost 9# and 9 inches... so it does work for many many people... but you have to determine what to do to make it work for you!

Just finished the first month and, I too have not seen any changes in weight nor did I see any significant changes in my measurements. I will however, continue on through Month 2. I love the programs as they make work harder than I have in any other program. I really need to reach outside of the workout box and I feel great when I am done. My arms are toner, as are my legs and I have excelled on each Fit Test. I think this program is great for improving endurance and the Fit Tests help to show you how you have improved. Positive reinforcement.

Same here, I actually just finished today. I haven't seen any significant changes in weight nor inches from my body (although my arms did seem to be slightly more toned, not much). After comparing photos at the beginning of the program and where I am now, even my mum couldn't see much of a difference. I do however have more endurance than before and can run two laps of my local lake without stopping. The fit tests results weren't as spectacular as some others. However I've heard that most of the results occurred in the 2nd month so I'm planning to continue. Note that I didn't follow the dietary program included or used shakeology. Maybe I was eating too few calories, not sure really.

Just giving my two cents in the matter :)
  • cavery23
    cavery23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Only did the first 4 weeks due to exams, yet still saw incredible results even after the first week.
    I'm not a coach just a regular person, the first few days are the toughest!!
  • Ben_Prior
    Options
    Hi, I am not a coach but I have just completed the 4th week of Insanity. I'm just starting the Recovery Week now. I picked a few foods from their nutrition plan and tend to stick to them every day to keep things simple. Saves me having to re-calculate calories at every meal/snack time. My calculated calorie intake on the program is 2000 per day and I stick to this like glue, never going over (see below). I try to split this evenly (ish) throughout the day as advised and once I'm out of calories I stop eating.

My results so far:
    After 4 weeks I have lost 11.2lbs (Spit as follows: Week 1: 5.5lbs, Week 2: 2lbs, Week 3: 2.2lbs, Week 4: 1.5lbs). I'm down from 164lbs to 152.8lbs and am very happy with the results. I carried my weight around my belly, all over my back with chubby handles on my sides. My back is now looking slimmer and more toned, I have lost 5cm from my stomach and my chubby handles are visibly reduced. My stomach is not yet flat but it no longer sticks out way further than my chest so results are good at this stage. I find that the muscles in my arms are more defined as our my shoulder caps. I have put 3cm on my quad muscles due to all of the squats and leg intensive exercises but despite this build in muscle I have still lost weight each week.

Looking at some of the reviews for Insanity, I can see there are several people who do the workouts but do not stick to the nutrition plans. In my opinion they have to go hand in hand if you want the best results. I have read that an average insanity workout burns around 600 calories so with my 2000 calorie per day limit I am effectively living off 1400 calories per day. If I did that on diet alone I would expect to lose just over 2lbs per week (based on past diets). So, i'm not actually loosing any more than I would on diet alone. However, I am getting toned, stronger and fitter in the process which is a great feeling. I would strongly encourage anyone thinking of doing insanity to throw yourself into it fully and just give it the 63 days that they ask for, but without cutting corners. Its not long in the scheme of things, just 63 days. I am certain that pretty much anyone would lose weight on this program if they really did stick to their calorie limit and did the workouts every day to the very best of their ability.

With regards to the workouts, they are hard work, there's no getting away from that. However, don't let that put you off. I was starting to fear them towards the end of week 1, worried that I would not keep up and that I was failing. However, in week 2 I simply went with the flow and decided to do what I could to the best of MY ability. If I needed to pause the DVD for an additional 30 seconds (or maybe more) then no problem, that's exactly what I would do. I don't mean wuss out and pause it just because I could, but where I really needed to catch my breath or let my heart rate drop a little I did so. After 4 weeks I still can't keep up with Shaun T, or many of his people on the DVD for that matter, but I can go through the DVDs now without pausing them at all and only taking a few 10 second breathers mid exercise. After I gave myself permission to "just do it to the best of my ability" it became enjoyable and I no longer worry about the daily workouts. The sense of satisfaction that I get from having done them is HUGE! :-)

So, all in all, after 4 weeks I give it a thumbs up! I was counting the 63 days down until the end but am now enjoying them so much that I am considering a follow up program. Maybe the Insanity Asylum or P90X???

I hope the comments above help anyone who is looking to buy the program. I'll let you all know how I get on after month 2.
    Ben

BTW, my daily meal plan has been as follows:

07:00 - 250 Cal - 1/2 Wholemeal Bagel, Salmon and Philadelphia
    10:00 - 210 Cal - Protein Bar
    14:00 - 320 Cal - Beef & Tomato Sandwich on wholemeal bread
    16:00 - 300 Cal - Cold Meat Platter (4 Wholegrain crackers, 3 Slices Chicken, 3 Slices Ham)
    19:00 - 500 Cal - Dinner (varies but comes from a Slimming World book)
    22:00 - 200 Cal - Greek Coconut Yogurt + All Bran Golden Crunch

+ 30 Cals from Semi-skimmed Milk in a few coffees during the day

That's 1810 calories and I will sometimes make up the other 190 calories by swapping the Protein Bar for a 400 calorie Protein Berry Shake or maybe have a few grams more of certain things (e.g. another slice of wholemeal bread or a little more Golden Crunch in the evening). I eat this every day and get some variety from the Dinner time meals which are always different and can be very nice and filling for 500 calories.
  • spart09
    Options
    Just a FYI

Tony Horton just released P90; which is suppose to be more realistic for "me" I'm on the road to 40, and can't keep up with insanity.

I just need a accountability partner to hang with for the remainder of the year. TIA if you know someone.

FYI- I love to eat, have 2 active teenagers, so trying to fit it in would be great.

-spartee@gmail.com
  • jodiebodell
    jodiebodell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very old thread my bad! Just curious if anyone has completed Insanity with Sciatic pain?
    This is my second time doing the program (first time over 7 years ago) I'm currently on week 5, I can exercise no problem, walking and moving isn't an issue but I can't sit down or lie down! I'd be gutted to have to finish at this stage, just wondered if anyone had any tips to help with the pain?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very old thread my bad! Just curious if anyone has completed Insanity with Sciatic pain?
    This is my second time doing the program (first time over 7 years ago) I'm currently on week 5, I can exercise no problem, walking and moving isn't an issue but I can't sit down or lie down! I'd be gutted to have to finish at this stage, just wondered if anyone had any tips to help with the pain?

why not start a new thread on what to do with sciatic pain? You might get more answers. But on that note: have you ever gone to a physiotherapist? It's possible that not only the sciatic nerve is problemativ, but also your hamstrings, hip flexors and bum muscles. There are a couple of exercises for the sciatic nerve, including very mild flossing, and strengthening of involved muscles.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!