Does your 8 glasses of water have to be water??!

Options

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    Within reason being natural flavoring like a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange. Or hell they have some contraption that lets you make ice cubes from fruit juice to flavor your water.

do you mean an ice cube tray?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    From a medical perspective, water is best plain, or with a little lemon/lime if desired, but any water-based drink will count (albeit they add other potentially-undesirables to your diet). Ergo, diluted squash, herbal teas etc can be counted towards your daily water intake. Soda, undiluted fruit juices, milk and caffeinated beverages including coffee and non-herbal teas, are not counted. I have an elderly relative who doesn't drink nearly enough, and had this conversation with her nurse at the weekend, so...
  • coleen_d_b
    coleen_d_b Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ummmm - while I agree that some people may be sensitive to aspartame - the myth that is is bad for you has been pretty much debunked.

I'd love to see some links to read through confirming this. The movie "Sweet Misery" convinced me to stop allowing aspartame in my house.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Ummmm - while I agree that some people may be sensitive to aspartame - the myth that is is bad for you has been pretty much debunked.

I'd love to see some links to read through confirming this. The movie "Sweet Misery" convinced me to stop allowing aspartame in my house.

Aspartame is bad for you. Was is chemically created? Well then there ya go.
  • DeadEyedSuburbanite
    DeadEyedSuburbanite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    lol. Lot of snark on this forum. :laugh:

Thanks to those people who linked to actual, credible sources. I wasn't aware that there was recent research on this issue that debunked the '8 glasses of pure water' thing.

Personally I do drink 8+ glasses of plain, filtered water a day because I like the taste, it helps control my appetite, and it makes me feel better. Also I like the idea of toxins being flushed out while I am losing the weight. This is probably purely psychological though.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this conversation would look silly to people in countries where clean water is a luxury.

^^^ Thank you. All of this bantering back and forth is quite ridiculous. Just do what works for you. There are more pressing issues than what you put in your water. :mad:
  • anku08
    anku08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    its water we drink and water we consume from fruits and vegetables :)
    i guess bit of flavored water should do but not all
  • melclare10
    melclare10 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    you body inst meant to take in anything but water. Putting other stuff in it like crystal light or whatever alters who we are genetically and what we have done for thousands of years. Enjoying something occasionally is so much different than drinking it everyday.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Within reason being natural flavoring like a squeeze of lemon, lime, or orange. Or hell they have some contraption that lets you make ice cubes from fruit juice to flavor your water.

do you mean an ice cube tray?
    OMG! That cracked me up!:laugh:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    you body inst meant to take in anything but water. Putting other stuff in it like crystal light or whatever alters who we are genetically and what we have done for thousands of years. Enjoying something occasionally is so much different than drinking it everyday.
    Not to sound rude, but if you think Crystal Light is altering the genetics of the human race, you need to take a Biology class. This is simply not true.:noway:
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    [

Beyond reason is anything with sweeteners like Crystal Light and Mio. That stuff is not water. You can pretend it is all you want but that's like arguing soda's water because there happens to be water in it.

I disagree on this. If I have a glass of water that I add Mio or crstal light packets to it is now probably 98% water and 2% flavor. I am counting that as water. Soda, no. When I have a powerade-zero after my workout to rehydrate, I count that. I know I would have trouble consuming as much water as I do without crystal light, Mio and stevia.

I think people need to use common sense and realize that water comes in a lot of sources. According to the poster of the quote all the water content of vegtables is not really water, it is vegtable. Hmmmm. Soda, coffee, tea and the like I would not consider "water". I tend to think if I am consuming it for the purpose of hydration it is probably water, if I am doing it for taste or satisfaction of a craving, it is probably not.

Just my $.02. Each of us has to determine what is right for us. There is no one size fits all solution, or we would all already be where we want to be instead of being in a constant experimentation mode to get us there.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

That is not true at all. Adding a little flavoring is not going to alter your genetics. There is no difference in drinking some flavored water and drinking plain water while snacking on a flavored yogurt. They go to the same place. We are humans. Our stomachs have one chamber where everything mingles together. Unless you eat 100% natural foods, this argument just becomes silly .
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I don't get how some people can NOT like the taste of water. I mean... it's water. There really IS no taste, unless you happen to get funky water that has a lot of chlorine/iron/etc in it. And it boggles my mind that there are people that have gone YEARS without drinking a glass of water!
    No matter which side of the fence you're on in this debate, I'm pretty sure it's extremely healthy for you to drink some plain water at least every so often!
    Nevertheless, this thread was interesting to read.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the emphasis on drinking a certain amount of water when drinking it doesn't make you skinny, not drinking it doesn't make you fat, and people aren't falling out from dehydration around me. People didn't obsessively carry around water bottles back in the day, and you'd agree we all survived just fine...
  • TGKvr
    TGKvr Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No, I think they called them canteens back then. ;)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I count only pure water. But some people's responses are so ridiculous. Just because you added some tea leaves does not negate the fact that it's still water. That's just stupid.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    WATER = WATER = WATER! :drinker:

Artificial flavoring, colors, tea, unsweetened or not is NOT Water.:sad:
    Tea, coffee, wine, juice = LIQUID
    And some are dehydrating = drink MORE PLAIN WATER

A doctor told me years ago that we don't wash our clothes in tea, right?!!
    Same applies here..........

WATER = WATER = WATER! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

We may not wash our clothes in tea, but we dont use pure water either. We add to it, but still say we wash in water. Hmmmmmmm
  • uk_angeldust
    uk_angeldust Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I try to make it 8 glasses of water... but on off days I try to at least drink lots of herbal tea.... today I had 5 cups of chamomile for example...
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    its really friggin hard to drink 8 glasses of water a day and not be too full for actual food.....maybe i need smaller cups! im drinking out of gnc protein shake glasses!

It's easy to get your fluids in if you have a larger cup! How many ounces is the shake glass? I would guess that it is 16oz at minimum--which means that each one of those you drink is really TWO glasses. I personally like 24 and 32 oz water bottles. I drink 3-4 of those a day...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That is not true at all. Adding a little flavoring is not going to alter your genetics. There is no difference in drinking some flavored water and drinking plain water while snacking on a flavored yogurt. They go to the same place. We are humans. Our stomachs have one chamber where everything mingles together. Unless you eat 100% natural foods, this argument just becomes silly .

^^this

And do you really think the water we drank thousands of years ago is the same we drink now - no! It is filtrated, had chemicals added and comes out of a tap!