how often do you step on the scale?

Options

Replies

• sayalikirtani
    Options
    Loads of people say to check your weight like once a week or something but I weigh myself once a day- usually every morning. For OCD people- or people who get easily discouraged by a binge- this is a bad idea. But if you are pretty easygoing and like using that little extra bit of motivation everyday you should be fine.
    Sometimes you gain some water weight and this freaks people out. If you weigh weekly there is a better chance of you seeing your weight change steadily- not just fluctuating. So its really up to you and your habits.
    good luck <3
  • LadyKatieBug
    LadyKatieBug Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I need to weigh once a month
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    weigh in every morning, but only document it once a week (Sundays).

I measure once a week, but lately, I have been slacking in that area, so its been more like once a month!
  • ashleywd40
    ashleywd40 Posts: 5
    Options
    Every morning after bathroom before my shower.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    To much like a few times a day
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I tried NOT weighing for a week after weeks of weighing daily, sometimes more than once...and I tend to not behave myself with my calorie intake if I don't weigh daily.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before the shower, and sometimes later in the day as well. I treat my morning weigh-in as my "official" weight and just use the other weights for scientific purposes.

I find that weighing more frequently gives me a better sense of how things are working - whether I've got more water or food in the system, etc. I wouldn't want to use weekly or monthly weigh-ins because what happens if you are coming off a high sodium day or you have a disproportional amount of food working its way through? You'd potentially get very discouraged by what turned out to be an outlier weigh-in.

IMO as long as you don't freak out about it, more weigh-ins = better.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    every morning before getting ready for work. It becomes a little predictable, which helps you see progress. If you are failing yourself you know right away so corrections can be made.
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    3 times a week. I like to play soft music, light candles, really set the mood.

Hahaha I like this answer! For me, every day, and yes I sure do count it if it's a loss! I usually blame the gains on water retentions though and only count those if they are consistent for a week.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Once a month, so that I don't obsess over the number. I just do my best to stick to "the plan" every day, and assume that if I'm doing my very best, that's all I can do, so that number should decrease each time. :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Every alternate Monday
  • tflores
    tflores Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I would get discouraged if I weighted myself everyday. It would almost turn to obsession at that point.
  • minuet42
    minuet42 Posts: 33
    Options
    Every morning and before and after BMs....I'm a curious person.

So glad I'm not the only one! The official scale for my support group is at in the bathroom at the end of the hall where I work, so it's very tempting!

But for the OP, I have my official weigh-in on Sundays, and a set check-in for myself on Wednesdays. I will weigh more if I feel I'm doing particularly well/poorly.
  • TriedEverything
    TriedEverything Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think once a month sounds fine. I really can't believe how many people on here weigh themselves daily - or even several times a day!! :huh: I'm not saying it's wrong, if it works for them, but I would just get completely discouraged by doing that :noway: Your weight is bound to go up & down like a yo-yo at various times of the day - what good does it do to know about it?

I generally weigh myself about once a week - but I can't stick to the same day, as I work part-time on night duty - different nights each week (& there is no way on earth I would weigh myself after a night shift! I know it would be bad news, as I always feel really bloated when I finish in the morning).

Just do whatever feels best for you - but I think you'll find most experts don't recommend weighing more than once a week.

I've never taken measurements, because I always worry that I wouldn't hold the tape in the exact same place twice - therefore I might not get accurate readings. But a lot of people do seem to find this helpful.

I admire people who don't weigh themselves at all, but I don't think I could go that far! :tongue:
  • sweetkat75
    sweetkat75 Posts: 29
    Options
    I used to weigh myself once a day or even several times a day. I know how weight fluctuates through out the day. But then I became obsessed and really wasn't seeing the loss I wanted. I knew I needed help. So I went to the doctor. Now I weigh in once a month with the doctor. I am on a plan that works for me, advised by doctor. Occasionally i will check the scale. But I more thoroughly enjoy the detailed report i get from the doctor about how much fat vs muscle I've lost. Since March, i have maintained my muscle and lost mostly fat and a little water. Last time at the doctor my weight loss was only 0.7 kg but I lost 1.2 kg of fat. So what would have been a negative numerically on the scale was such a positive because of all the fat I lost.
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    Constantly. I weigh myself more to pat myself on the back than to monitor anything, though. Drives my wife nuts, but so does everything else I do.
  • bogey0345
    bogey0345 Posts: 4
    Options
    The scale is right next to my bed, the only thing closer is my Glock... LOL
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Every morning but I log it once a week.
  • Auntycincin
    Auntycincin Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    hi all i weight myself every morning but once a week i weigh myself on the scales at the shops and it gives me a print out of my weight as well as bmi..it gives me a date and it makes me feel good to know that i have come such a long way in such a short time.
    22257725.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sayalikirtani
    Options
    wow that is a long time!