MOMS & DADS....what's your car and do you like it?

Options
curvykim78
curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
I'm a married mom of 3 kids ages 3, 12 & 13. I'm tired of the soccer mom minivans...I'm on my 4th one now. My question to you is what type of car do you have, do you like it, and would you suggest it to someone to buy or not?

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Kia Rondo. It's fantastic.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    GMC Acadia.

I really like it. The trunk is smaller than I'd like, and the " fold flat " back seat doesn't fold QUITE flat.

But : I like having 2 captains chairs instead of a middle bench.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Honda CRV.

Ups: good gas mileage, 4 wheel drive, can seat 5, surf boards fit perfectly on top, repairs are relatively cheap

downs: hondas break down more than US made cars. My sweetie is always telling me to get something made by Jeep.
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I drive a Dodge Journey. I really like the handling and it's very roomy. I would recommend it, but since you have 3 kids and I only have one, I don't know that you'd want just 2 rows of seating (they do make models with 3 rows). I've only had 1 mechanical problem with the alternator, but that's because I have a lot of miles on it. The gas mileage is decent as well.
  • ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    Jeep Cherokee... I like it a lot but would LOVE it if it was newer :)
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have been driving a 2012 Kia Sorento for about almost a year now and the back seats recline which my oldest loves on long trips and the third row does lay flat. I dont know how well it runs in the long run. I am currently leasing it.
  • FrozenTundra511
    FrozenTundra511 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Now that I am past the soccer dad/ Little league dad phase, when our van died in February, I purchased a Nissan Versa and love it. Decent mileage and lots of leg and headroom for my 6'3" 17 year old too.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've had my new car just over a year, and I LOVE it. It's a chevy Equinox. I got the smaller engine, so the horse power is a little wimpy, but my mileage averages 27 mpg, and I love the comfort. My 6'1" kid fits comfortably in the back seat with plenty of leg room. We were able to go to football games that were 2 hours away and haul equipment, coolers, lawn chairs etc, and have plenty of room as well.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Jeep Commander. I LOVE it. I hate minivans with a passion and refused to buy one, but I have 4 kids. The 3rd row seating is great. The only problem is that I can haul kids, or I can haul stuff....but I can't do both. When the 3rd row of seats is up, there is no storage.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Jeep Cherokee. An older one....easy to fix it myself, and I can go pretty much anywhere. Lots of room and power
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of the soccer mom minivans...I'm on my 4th one now.
    Is it just me, or has every minivan you know of had the engine or transmission die?
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    A Kia Spectra, we have 3 kids, 15, 9, & 3. I love the dependability of it but it is small! We make it work, bought it brand new before we found out we were pregnant with the 3rd one. Oops!
  • Bubbles99207
    Bubbles99207 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    2005 Ford Escape - dont have any small kids but we drove to Washington from California with my daughter and 2 dogs. It seats 5 and the Gas mileage was 32 MPG - Have never had any problems with it and I would recommend it highly!!!
  • ThorneDust
    ThorneDust Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a Chevy HHR and at first I liked it but now I aboslutely HATE it. Everything is falling apart on it. Just the other day my husband was getting out of the car, pulled the handle (not hard, just normal pulling it to open the door), and it snapped right off in his hand. And we've had numerous other problems with it and apparently so have other HHR owners. I can't wait to get rid of it.
  • garita93
    garita93 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Is it just me, or has every minivan you know of had the engine or transmission die?
    This is why my husband won't let us get a minivan because there doesn't seem to be one without history of engine or transmission problems.
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I drive a Prius.
    I looooooooooooooooooooove it.
    People say I'm crazy as a mom to have such a "little" car. But it fits me and my two girls PERFECTLY.
    Three kids? Probably not so much.

But for me and my girls it's perfection.
    And the gas mileage? Holla!!!

Seriously - I'm obsessed with my Prius. Obsessed.

I'm on a "green" committee at work and I did a whole demonstration on the myth that my car is too tiny for a family. I've got a carseat and a stroller in it at all times! :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    2 kids and I have a Toyota Highlander.....thinking I may just trade it for a newer model very soon! I love this car more than any other I have ever had. Lots of room and no major issues ever!
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

No, mine don't die...just put a million miles on them and I like having new cars...I'm a spoiled brat! lol But all 4 of mine have been Dodge Caravans or Dodge Grand Caravans.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    great ride for a family thats also a band.

partridge-family-bus.jpg
  • kelleybelly35
    kelleybelly35 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i drive a jacked-up jeep wrangler pushing 35 mudds kids love it especially when we go get muddy....i love it because i can ride topless and doorless during the summer :)