Low Carb-ers Challenge to Choose Change!

Options

Replies

• SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Here's the most recent chart updates.....Please let me know if corrections are needed! Thanks!

CHART.jpg
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Sassy - You're such a doll for taking the time to do charts for us. :flowerforyou:

LL - That is so neat! I'd never heard that before about food allergies.

Res - I'm similar, I aim for 1200 (plus half of exercise calories) and 20 carbs/day. I don't stress out about the calories, but it almost always 'ends up' being between 1000 and 1300 if I stick to 20 carbs. (If it is 1000, I always make sure to eat a bit more of something low carb to get all my calories in) We'll see next week if it's working... :drinker:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Morning, Great job on that water. I never heard of that coconut oil in your coffee. Can you tell me more.
    Thanks,
    Keep Losing
    Beachcomer

Coconut oil is the healthiest fat on the earth. I use it for many, many, many uses.............

I use primarily 2 brands, Jungle and Nutiva. Here is some information about Nutiva brand in particular, but Jungle brand is just as good with the same qualities........
    Nutiva Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil:

*Certified organic and non-GMO
    *Made from fresh coconuts, not dried copra
    *Cold-processed
    *Unrefined
    *Chemical-free
    *Unfermented *
    *Unbleached
    *Undeodorized
    *Unhydrogenated
    *Pure white like fresh coconut
    *Tastes like fresh coconut
    *Has a fresh coconut fragrance

I use coconut oil for a facial cleanser ( I can tell you more about that later).....and for a facial and all over body moisturizer. I use it to condition my hair. It is non-greasy, soaks in your skin and if you have oily skin, it cuts the oil, leaving you with beautiful skin. My face has stopped breaking out and it is smooth and healthy looking.

I also use it cook with. I use it where recipes call for butter and the mild coconut taste will be lovely, aka low carb brownies (can post a recipe later also)............fry eggs with it, saute veggies, etc..........

I put it in my morning coffee because I often do a "green smoothie" that contains veggies and fruit, along with full fat yogurt and a scoop of protein powder and the fat in the coconut oil helps to keep me fuller longer...................

Coconut oil has anti-fungal and antibiotic properties. It is also a medium chain triglyceride, which makes it so healthy.............

Here are some links regarding coconut oil and its uses and benefits................It gets a bad rap because it is a saturated fat.............

I am learning that saturated fats are NOT bad for us when eating naturally. Saturated fats only pose a risk to your cardiovascular system when coupled with a diet high in processed foods.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

http://www.coconut-info.com/

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/
    Coconut In Modern Medicine

Modern medical science is now confirming the use of coconut in treating many of the above conditions. Published studies in medical journals show that coconut, in one form or another, may provide a wide range of health benefits. Some of these are summarized below:

Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.

Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.

Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.

Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.

Provides a nutritional source of quick energy.

Boosts energy and endurance, enhancing physical and athletic performance.

Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids.

Improves insulin secretion and utilization of blood glucose.

Relieves stress on pancreas and enzyme systems of the body.

Reduces symptoms associated with pancreatitis.

Helps relieve symptoms and reduce health risks associated with diabetes.

Reduces problems associated with malabsorption syndrome and cystic fibrosis.

Improves calcium and magnesium absorption and supports the development of strong bones and teeth.

Helps protect against osteoporosis.

Helps relieve symptoms associated with gallbladder disease.

Relieves symptoms associated with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and stomach ulcers.

Improves digestion and bowel function.

Relieves pain and irritation caused by hemorrhoids.

Reduces inflammation.

Supports tissue healing and repair.

Supports and aids immune system function.

Helps protect the body from breast, colon, and other cancers.

Is heart healthy; improves cholesterol ratio reducing risk of heart disease.

Protects arteries from injury that causes atherosclerosis and thus protects against heart disease.

Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.

Functions as a protective antioxidant.

Helps to protect the body from harmful free radicals that promote premature aging and degenerative disease.

Does not deplete the body's antioxidant reserves like other oils do.

Improves utilization of essential fatty acids and protects them from oxidation.

Helps relieve symptoms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Relieves symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (prostate enlargement).

Reduces epileptic seizures.

Helps protect against kidney disease and bladder infections.

Dissolves kidney stones.

Helps prevent liver disease.

Is lower in calories than all other fats.

Supports thyroid function.

Promotes loss of excess weight by increasing metabolic rate.

Is utilized by the body to produce energy in preference to being stored as body fat like other dietary fats.

Helps prevent obesity and overweight problems.

Applied topically helps to form a chemical barrier on the skin to ward of infection.

Reduces symptoms associated the psoriasis, eczema, and dermatitis.

Supports the natural chemical balance of the skin.

Softens skin and helps relieve dryness and flaking.

Prevents wrinkles, sagging skin, and age spots.

Promotes healthy looking hair and complexion.

Provides protection form damaging effects of ultraviolet radiation form the sun.

Helps control dandruff.

Does not form harmful by-products when heated to normal cooking temperature like other vegetable oils do.

Has no harmful or discomforting side effects.

Is completely non-toxic to humans.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Hey, Sassy! I am doing the one on the coolrunning website - I printed that off and also the info at the link about the "stay loose" which gives advice on stretching before and after.

Here are some podcast links from Pettmybunny over on the Couch to 5K thread - I haven't had a chance to check any of these out yet.....

Here's the link for the Suz podcast. http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

I used hers today (week 1 day 3) and I shaved almost 3 minutes off my time. The strong beat and faster music really got me moving! Up until today, I've been using the Robert Ullery one.

Here's the link to his: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

I also did a google search, and there's several others:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html (podrunner also has podcasts to go further, with an 8K podcast and a 10K podcast)

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/ (This one is Christian music, there are a few extra downloads on this site)

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html (This one has a 5-4-3-2-1-0 countdown and then the music completely changes for each interval, but the sampling I listened to had good music. I kind of hated it sometimes when the song changed right in the middle)
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    you guys are so awesome!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the help Lean :flowerforyou: yea, i've been watching the cals... lol.... let my carbs slip up here and there i think (down from about 100 to 50's with only good carbs tho- veg, fruit, nuts, lowfat cottage cheese, pb, etc) so will have to pay better attention. i'm not big on using oil (mostly use PAM if i need to)... but that coconut oil (and especially a potential low carb brownie recipe:love: ) sounds good!

The daily input on the site works so well for me- think i'm addicted! i've started monitoring my sodium intake better and everything!! :blushing:

just so glad i've been getting creative with my "diet" meals! lol.... turkey sausage and broccoli sauteed in smart balance butter... would never have thought it would fill me up like it did and with lots of energy for my hour HIIT/cardio workout last night!! woohoo:laugh: .....and pb mixed with lowfat cottage cheese and sugar sub is my new sweet craving fix lol... i HATED cottage cheese otherwise. lol

well hope you all stay on track and keep up the good work! we are so close to achieving all of our goals! :wink:

Thought for today: “It only takes a simple adjustment of your attitude to build a little enthusiasm and with a little enthusiasm you can attract the support of many others! Small positive changes can do something much more powerful than making a difference in the world, they make a difference in you!” Each of us has the power to make a difference in our daily lives and the lives of the people around us – beginning today! Let’s go for it!! :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    you guys are so awesome!!!!!!

Thanks so much for the help Lean :flowerforyou: yea, i've been watching the cals... lol.... let my carbs slip up here and there i think (down from about 100 to 50's with only good carbs tho- veg, fruit, nuts, lowfat cottage cheese, pb, etc) so will have to pay better attention. i'm not big on using oil (mostly use PAM if i need to)... but that coconut oil (and especially a potential low carb brownie recipe:love: ) sounds good!

The daily input on the site works so well for me- think i'm addicted! i've started monitoring my sodium intake better and everything!! :blushing:

just so glad i've been getting creative with my "diet" meals! lol.... turkey sausage and broccoli sauteed in smart balance butter... would never have thought it would fill me up like it did and with lots of energy for my hour HIIT/cardio workout last night!! woohoo:laugh: .....and pb mixed with lowfat cottage cheese and sugar sub is my new sweet craving fix lol... i HATED cottage cheese otherwise. lol

well hope you all stay on track and keep up the good work! we are so close to achieving all of our goals! :wink:

Thought for today: “It only takes a simple adjustment of your attitude to build a little enthusiasm and with a little enthusiasm you can attract the support of many others! Small positive changes can do something much more powerful than making a difference in the world, they make a difference in you!” Each of us has the power to make a difference in our daily lives and the lives of the people around us – beginning today! Let’s go for it!! :flowerforyou:

Is there a reason you are not eating real butter, full fat cottage cheese and regular sausage?

I am just asking...............the fats are not bad for you and you will stay full and satisfied on less.

Just a thought.
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    We are different in many ways, but we all have one thing in common….THE POWER TO CHOOSE! If we are determined to succeed…we will succeed. We are here to motivate each other to THINK and to CHOOSE before ACTING. We are here to discover ourselves, recognize our power, and succeed in meeting our goals of becoming the person we want to be.

I reread SassySouthernGirl's original post starting our "Low Carb-ers Challenge to Choose Change!" group because it is so powerful and straightforward.
    It tells me that a healthy lifestyle doesn't just happen because I want it. If I want to lose weight and be fit, I'm going to have "to THINK and CHOOSE" my way to that goal. And that's why the Low Carb-ers Challenge to Choose Change support team is so valuable, we're all wanting to help each other meet our goals by making good choices! :smile:
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    Oops! Just trying to remove a duplicate post,
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Brownie recipe................I use regular cream cheese, not the low fat or non-fat stuff.........

I am posting it twice. One recipe made with coconut oil. The second one is the same, except use butter instead of coconut oil...............
    These are decadently dense, rich, and moist. And most importantly, they are low-carb.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:
    10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
    1 cup Splenda
    4 large eggs
    2 tsp instant coffee granules
    1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1-1/2 tsp pure chocolate extract (optional)
    1-1/2 cups almond flour
    6 Tbsp Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1-1/2 tsp baking powder

Preparation:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (32.5 x 22.5-cm) baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and coconut oil until smooth. Beat in the chocolate and sweetener. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the bowl well after each addition. Add the coffee and vanilla and chocolate extracts. Beat until combined.

In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat well. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is firm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Store brownies covered, in the refrigerator.

Yield: 48 brownies

Per brownie. Effective carbohydrates: 1.8 g; Carbohydrates: 2.4 g; Fiber: 0.6 g; Protein: 2.1 g; Fat: 9.7 g; Calories: 99
    Ingredients:
    10 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
    2 sticks of softened, unsalted butter
    4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
    1 cup Splenda
    4 large eggs
    2 tsp instant coffee granules
    1-1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1-1/2 tsp pure chocolate extract (optional)
    1-1/2 cups almond flour
    6 Tbsp Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1-1/2 tsp baking powder

Preparation:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 13 x 9-inch (32.5 x 22.5-cm) baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the chocolate and sweetener. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the bowl well after each addition. Add the coffee and vanilla and chocolate extracts. Beat until combined.

In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat well. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is firm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Store brownies covered, in the refrigerator.
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Lioness --- I actually have some Coconut Oil, but haven’t used it much. I normally use PAM for eggs and such. I will start trying it in place of olive oil when I sauté veggies and such. I see in the info you posted that it helps with chronic fatigue syndrome, which I have along with fibromyalgia. Also…when you use as moisturizer…do you just scoop some out, rub on face and skin…or wet face first or what. I’m VERY interested in doing this because I have very dry skin. Again…thanks for the great info!!! We’re lucky to have you here! :flowerforyou:

RES --- thanks for the info. I actually saw that posted in another thread and checked them all out yesterday. If I can’t find anything else, I suppose I’ll be using the Hip Hop one. However…on Itunes they have some really cool Couch to 5K apps you can download for $3.00…these work with your own Ipod playlist and have the timers telling you when to walk/run, etc. BUT…these apps only work with Ipod TOUCH…and I just have an Ipod Nano. May have to go buy a TOUCH when I go buy my running shoes…LOL!!! Are you starting Monday?? And…have I completely LOST my mind?? :bigsmile:

Asdfjkl --- thanks! I’m glad my words rang true to you. This way of thinking is the ONLY thing that got me on track after years of ‘wanting’ to lose weight, but making every excuse in the book for not putting forth any effort. Glad we're all on track!! :wink:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    Sorry...for whatever reason ... previous message double posted.
  • hambone
    hambone Posts: 152
    Options
    Hey ladies,
    How is everyone doing today?
    Wow, miss one day and have LOTS to read!!! You girls have really been busy.

I am struggling but I will get it together at some point!!
  • Resalyn
    Options

RES --- thanks for the info. I actually saw that posted in another thread and checked them all out yesterday. If I can’t find anything else, I suppose I’ll be using the Hip Hop one. However…on Itunes they have some really cool Couch to 5K apps you can download for $3.00…these work with your own Ipod playlist and have the timers telling you when to walk/run, etc. BUT…these apps only work with Ipod TOUCH…and I just have an Ipod Nano. May have to go buy a TOUCH when I go buy my running shoes…LOL!!! Are you starting Monday?? And…have I completely LOST my mind?? :bigsmile:

I'm definitely gonna start on Monday. I don't have an ipod - just a Creative Zen MP3 player that is a couple years old - and ancient compared to the ones on the market now! I'll have to listen to some of those podcasts when I get home - don't have speakers cept for the tinny one inside the PC here at work and this puter is so old that trying to listen to any audio on it, even on that tinny speaker, is a pain in the butt.

If you do get the IPOD touch - let me know what you think of the app - and how it works for ya - maybe I'll ask for one for my anniversary next month! So yeah, I"m starting Monday morning - and planning on doing all my running in the mornings when it's cooler and life doesn't intrude cuz half the town is sleeping.....
  • bamababy
    bamababy Posts: 20
    Options
    Sassy is Great at charts! She could be making lots of money making web pages....but chooses to hang out with us for free!
    I have been enlightened but LeanLioness {thanks LL} and will be going out for some coconut oil!
    I never knew you could use it for so many things:smile:
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    RES --- I'm downloading the LAST one on the list now...think I can live with that one...POP/hip hop. But might d/l the hard core hip hop one too and listen to both over the weekend to see which I like best. I'm sure I'll stick with the POP/hip hop one. My son might wanna make a CD out of the hard core rap hip hop one though...LOL!

The one I'm D/L now is from the site.....
    http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html

Funny...I haven't heard of some of the songs...and my son's girlfriend (Abbie) walks by me, hears it, and says HEY I LIKE THAT SONG! that's my favorite! LOL Guess I'm just a little out of touch! HA!
  • SassySouthernGirl
    Options
    OH......I missed Bamababy and Hambone....sorry...I saw RES and thought she was the only one to post since I last posted. Anyway...HEY BAMA and HAMBONE! I'm sittin' here D/L my podcasts in case I do start the couch to 5k with Res on Monday!!! I wonder if I could actually do it??? And, yes, I could be making some money from home...but I like playin' more! LOL

And Res...more I listen to the ones on this particular podcast list ... I like it...will stick to this one....
    http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Lioness --- I actually have some Coconut Oil, but haven’t used it much. I normally use PAM for eggs and such. I will start trying it in place of olive oil when I sauté veggies and such. I see in the info you posted that it helps with chronic fatigue syndrome, which I have along with fibromyalgia. Also…when you use as moisturizer…do you just scoop some out, rub on face and skin…or wet face first or what. I’m VERY interested in doing this because I have very dry skin. Again…thanks for the great info!!! We’re lucky to have you here! :flowerforyou:

Asdfjkl --- thanks! I’m glad my words rang true to you. This way of thinking is the ONLY thing that got me on track after years of ‘wanting’ to lose weight, but making every excuse in the book for not putting forth any effort. Glad we're all on track!! :wink:

I am glad someone likes me. I am hated on this website due to my alternative views and opinions of things..........

I don't know how much longer I am going to be a member of this site, I am thinking of deleting my membership and start a yahoo group of like minded people...........

Anyway, with the coconut oil, i scoop out a bit for cleansing and massage it onto my face and neck. Let is soak in for 5-10 minutes........

Take a wash cloth as steaming hot as your hands and face can stand it and rest it on your face for a short bit, then wipe it off. Rinse the cloth and repeat..........the steam action helps the coconut oil penetrate deeply........Rinse your face with tepid (cool) water and then take a couple of drops of coconut oil and massage into face to moisturize..............
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Question: I have to eat every 3 hours or less or I get so hungry and also run out of energy.
    Usually I have 6oz of meat , some veggie & 1 tblspoon of oil. If I'm don't have to cook I drink my protein mix with olive oil or nut butter.
    I feel uncomfortable when I eat fat because I don't know for sure if it will increase my cholesterol (sp?)
    and trilicyle level.

One good thing about low carb diet, I have a light period and I hardly bloat. In fact I don't feel much different. When I eat hi carb, I feel bad bad about my body and uncomfortable.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Question: I have to eat every 3 hours or less or I get so hungry and also run out of energy.
    Usually I have 6oz of meat , some veggie & 1 tblspoon of oil. If I'm don't have to cook I drink my protein mix with olive oil or nut butter.
    I feel uncomfortable when I eat fat because I don't know for sure if it will increase my cholesterol (sp?)
    and trilicyle level.

One good thing about low carb diet, I have a light period and I hardly bloat. In fact I don't feel much different. When I eat hi carb, I feel bad bad about my body and uncomfortable.

According to the Atkins book, you should eat every 3-4 hours to keep blood sugar stable.

I am not giving advice as others on this board seem to think I am not credible.

Check out my signature as that is my blood work at the start and again in April. I get more blood drawn tomorrow and will post it in that thread also. I eat about 60% fat intake each day and my cholesterol dropped and so did my triglycerides..........

I do know there is a correlation between triglycerides and sugar consumption. Let me find the article to post.............

Dietary Triglyceride Reduction: High Triglycerides-Sugar Connection

If you strictly follow a sugar-free diet, a significant drop in your blood triglyceride level should occur in four (4) to six (6) weeks.

Sugar is harmful to human health! Unfortunately, many people are actually addicted to sugar, and this includes grains, which are rapidly broken down into sugar in your body.

In order to free yourself of the physical addiction, complete avoidance of all sugar and grains is necessary. Complete abstinence resolves the biochemical addiction, however, it will be very important to eat every two hours during this transition to avoid symptoms of hypoglycemia. This is usually necessary for several days to several weeks.

Sugar is also a source of excess calories which are being turned into fat - usually, triglycerides, so the fat levels in your blood go up.

High-Fructose Corn Syrup

If you are a "popaholic," or if you are in the habit of drinking soft drinks, you jeopardize your health.

Although it is possible to stay close to a diet free of simple carbohydrates, high-fructose corn syrup, and refined sugars - most of us slip a little here and there.

We go out for an ice cream on a summer evening. We order something in a restaurant that we're pretty sure is high in sugar. Or someone offers us a soft drink and we accept.

By and large, a dietary slip now and then won't hurt most of us. The problem comes when a transgression from a healthy diet turns into daily transgressions.

These days it's hard to avoid fructose because it's used as a sweetener in a wide variety of processed foods, especially in sodas and other types of soft drinks.

However, a new study in a recent issue of The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism (2004:Vol. 89, No. 6) reveals how even moderate consumption of soft drinks causes “a rapid and prolonged elevation of plasma (blood) triglycerides,” also having a profound impact on hormonal balance, hunger, calorie intake, obesity and the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

A soda every now and then that turns into a 7-Eleven's 32-ounce Big Gulp every day or a soda every few hours, is a trend no one can afford to follow.

And even if you're not in the habit of drinking soft drinks, check the labels of other foods you eat daily to make sure you're not getting a hidden intake of fructose.

Sugar-Cancer Association

Nutritionally oriented doctors have known about the refined sugar-cancer association for decades. More than 70 years ago, Dr. Warburg won the Nobel Prize in medicine when he discovered that cancer cells require glucose (sugar) for growth; they consume as much as 4 to 5 times more glucose than normal, healthy cells. In fact, cancer cells are unable to multiply rapidly without sugar.

The cells that are dividing (multiplying) the fastest have the highest requirement for energy (to sustain such accelerated growth). Therefore, cutting out the source (sugar) is similar to cutting off the blood supply - though not quite as drastic, it's certainly a step worth taking.

It is simply astonishing that this simple knowledge - sugar feeds cancer - hasn't become the basis for Rule One in any cancer fight: Stop eating sugar immediately.

Obviously giving up sugar is not the cure for cancer. But this tactic should be recommended STRONGLY to anyone with cancer or, actually, ANY other illness or disorder.

What about the alternate sweeteners?
    You wonder if one of the alternate sweeteners, such as stevia or xylitol, might also feed the cancer cells in the same way sugar does.

Stevia won't, because it is zero-calorie.

Xylitol could be more of a quandary. It does contain calories (about 40 percent less than sugar), and it is labeled a 'sugar-alcohol.' Apparently that status causes a slower release into the body and less absorption. For that reason, it would be less of a problem as it is not as strong as refined carbohydrates. How much less would be controversial, since the sugar-cancer cell growth issue itself is a tough one.

However, keep in mind that the body also breaks down carbohydrates into glucose, so a diet that is heavy with high carbohydrate foods can also fuel cancer cell growth as well as other health problems that are known to be linked to excess blood glucose, including:

obesity
    diabetes
    heart disease
    an overgrowth of pathogenic intestinal flora
    gout
    panic attacks
    hyperactivity, and
    depression.
  • Resalyn
    Options
    LEANLIONESS: I also have very very dry skin, and would like to try this coconut oil wash you've been doing. I also have very dry hair - have you ever used it on your hair?

I have very dry porous curly hair - which of course is worse because I color to hide the grey - but I personally only use shampoo about once a week - the rest of the time I wet it down and just use a non-silicone conditioner and gel.... I wonder if the coconut oil would help tame my frizzies???