If you were on a plane, and there were kids near by..

Options
124»

Replies

• blairh10
    blairh10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I'd like to say yes I would curb the urge but, the last time I was on a plane a family with 4 of the most horribly behaved children were sitting in front of me and for both our benefit I had to pretend they didn't exist. So I if I cursed in my regular speech I probably would have.
    Also I may have cursed in hopes that one of their idiot parents would say something to me about my language so I could guilt-free tell them what all the rest of the passengers were thinking.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Also I may have cursed in hopes that one of their idiot parents would say something to me about my language so I could guilt-free tell them what all the rest of the passengers were thinking.

Agreed...it needs to go both ways. People should be mindful of their language in certain public places, but we also shouldn't have to monitor ourselves when some parents let their brats disrupt the whole world around them either....
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    If there are young ears present I think it is proper to censor your language. Of course once those kids get older, they can probably teach us all some new curse words!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I don't swear much to begin with, but I especially won't around children. Or in public, for that matter. I think it's just plain respect.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I wear ear plugs when on planes. I would not swear. I had a flight a few years ago and there was more than one baby crying most of the way! I was dead tired! The ear plugs helped some but not enough! A lady was nursing a new-born right next to me.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's no need to be rude in a small confined place.

I've had to tell people many times to knock it off. Usually college kids. But, it's not really the words, but the context I which they are used. Curse words don't bother me a lot around my kids, it's more about what is I between those words and the context in which they are being used that is important to me,

If you stub your toe and say, f***. That's one thing. But, if you start telling a story about how you f***ed this chick, I'm going to intervene and ask you to tell a different story if my kids are right there.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Cursing sounds trashy and is. So, no I never would. When you hear other people cursing do you find it attractive? I don't...so I don't do it. My opinion.
    Also, kids repeat everything and you don't know what the parents are like, how they discipline. When my daughter was 3, she had stayed at my inlaws while were on an anniversary vacation. When we got back she had picked up the F word from her aunt who still lived at home at the time. She jumped on our coffee table and with the cutest smile said F you mommy! F you! She had no idea it was a curse word and I had to have a talk with her. Some other parents, especially abusive ones may have done a LOT worse to the child. And, if they say them at school they would be punished, humilitated,etc.

If you want to cuss like a sailor at home, go for it but please leave kids out of it. :)
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I try to be respectful of the people around me- especially when kids are involved, but really anytime. I rarely curse and when I feel the urge I try to come up with something more kid friendly...which usually makes me laugh and forget the reason I need to curse! My bf forgets himself sometimes when children are around and he gets it when we get home!
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Agreed...it needs to go both ways. People should be mindful of their language in certain public places, but we also shouldn't have to monitor ourselves when some parents let their brats disrupt the whole world around them either....

Oh this too this too! Flying with kids is painful enough- control them!
  • MereExtraordinaire
    MereExtraordinaire Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I curse like a sailor only in private. It's not ladylike to have a foul mouth.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say yes I would curb the urge but, the last time I was on a plane a family with 4 of the most horribly behaved children were sitting in front of me and for both our benefit I had to pretend they didn't exist. So I if I cursed in my regular speech I probably would have.

I don't get this thinking.

2 wrongs don't make a right. If a child is miss-behaving that makes it okay for you to cuss?
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Censor...

Or just talk very quietly.

I swear in front of my children, and they have NEVER sworn. However, not my kids, so I wouldn't want to burn their pretty little ears with my fireball mouth.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Yes, people need to censor themselves around children and older adults.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I try not to curse in public...just manners....
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is from NY, and every other word is the F-Bomb no matter where he is. I know several NY'ers that are like this.

If I'm at a baseball game, the stadium rules are "family environment" so I don't swear. If I am at a rock concert, bar etc, all bets are off, those are NOT child friendly environments, and I expect the adults to be able to let loose.

I don't think it's fair for people to 'expect' everybody to abide by no-cursing rules just because their child is present. They can ask a swearing person to tone it down, or they could move to a different area if possible.
  • TeaRexParty
    TeaRexParty Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether that kid is the one kicking the back of my seat for the ENTIRE flight and being generally annoying while their parent is doing nothing....true story, lol. (no I didn't cuss the kid out but he got my mean look and mean tone when I told him to knock it off)

But seriously, I don't cuss that much and not in front of people I don't know so non issue.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I only cuss around those I'm close to. I have very few vices in my life, but that is my biggie.

Some people have alcohol, I have the well-placed F bomb! But I find it trashy to do it in public.