Girls who lift

Options
Tenster
Tenster Posts: 278 Member
Hi girls,

I have finally managed to convince my Girlfriend that lifting weights will not make her ''butch''. Im sure you all agree that a lot of women have the misconception of lifting weights will give you a manly figure.

Now i am just wondering what your favourite excursuses are?

Strong is the new skinny!

Thanks

Replies

• Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Hi girls,

I have finally managed to convince my Girlfriend that lifting weights will not make her ''butch''. Im sure you all agree that a lot of women have the misconception of lifting weights will give you a manly figure.

Now i am just wondering what your favourite excursuses are?

Strong is the new skinny!

Thanks

Did you mean exercises?

Yes women freak out and they shouldn't -- there are tons of forums on here explaining why and how you won't get "butch" - I don't think I am and i definitely lift more than I do cardio :)

Anyways:

I lift quite a bit:

The dead lift - my fav
    Back Squat
    Front Squat
    Thrusters
    Burpees :)
    Power Cleans

I do plenty more but those are my tops
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I wanted to start lifting and wasn't sure where to start. So I got ChaLean Extream. I really like it so far.
  • cadynappi
    cadynappi Posts: 63
    Options
    Tell your girlfriend that she won't look butch. I lift 5 to 6 days... I love it! THe best part is looking in the mirror and noticing definition. Now just have to work on getting tan!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I am not a major heavy lifter but I am amazed at the changes using 15 lb weights to 45 lb dumbells have done for me, and I am far from muscle bound
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Tell her to pick up a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women; I think that would be a good place to start.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Tell her to pick up a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women; I think that would be a good place to start.

^^^^ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is great!
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My faves are shoulder presses and squats!! Nothing sexier than defined shoulders and a rock hard *kitten* :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts. Friggin' love them. Working toward a 300 lbs deadlift. :smile:

Current max (before knee injury) was 225. I can do about 185 now. Body weight is approximately 177.

I highly recommend Starting Strength DVD for learning good form. I started lifting with just the bar (especially squats, which I suck at).

I just started Stronglifts 5x5 modified slightly. It's not a good program if you're not comfortable with compound lifts, but it's very fun if you are.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like to lift. I am a fairly weak person and just to see me being able to lift more weight is amazing.
  • raebear79
    raebear79 Posts: 17
    Options
    I love lifting weights. Have your girlfriend check out bodybuilders.com. They have pictures of fitness models and they definately still look like women. They are my inspiration.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    girls-get-your-guns-why-women-should-lift-weights_a.jpg
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love skull crushers, lat pull downs, tricep pull downs, barbell curls, shoulder/Arnold presses, T-bar rows, tricep extensions, reverse pull downs, lunges, squats, dead lifts (ooooh that sexy burn!!), leg press, calf raises...

So many moves! I love them all and I actually have fun concentrating on them!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I love lifting almost as much as i love bacon...

squats, bench press, shoulder press
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My favorite exercises are Squats, Dead lifts, Military presses, dips, hanging leg raises, chin ups, and rows.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love deadlifts, squats, bench press, step ups, rows, over head press, pull ups, lat pull down, push ups . . . I love it all. Tell her to read New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    nm_woman_weight_lifter_090128_main.jpg
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I began lifting last November and hitting most of the machines in the circuit. I stopped doing the one for my shoulders because I felt like it was giving me that "hump" between my shoulders and neck. Other than that I lift for all muscle groups and have enjoyed the difference it's made in my body. Something to note to her is that she will likely stop or slow down losing (if that was even a goal of hers). I've only lost about 5 pounds since last October, but have gone down 2 pant sizes, so she'll need to switch her focus to measurements not pounds possibly.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i think a good informative website for women lifitng is www.stumptuous.com
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Tell her to check out : " New Rules Of Lifting For Women" you can get it on Amazon for about $10.

Also Google Strong Lifts 5x5 (free program on the web), it may LOOK like it's for guys, but many ladies from MFP are doing it.

There are MFP groups for both programs and another great group here is Eat More to Weigh Less.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options

^^^^ABSOLUTELY!!!! It is great!

Couldn't agree more! Buy it for her... super easy ready, explains the basics really well, then she can move on to different lifts etc. But this is a fantastic starting point!