Girls who lift

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    nm_woman_weight_lifter_090128_main.jpg

She's a fitness model. Not many casual weight lifters will end up looking like her. She's probably done several bulk/cut cycles, been lifting for years and maybe even engaged in some light steroid us. Most women who lift are going to simply look like fit women with muscle definition.

At the risk of looking conceited, I'll use myself as an example:
    IMAG0992-1.jpg

See boys.

Rawr.
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    deadlifts, skullcrushers, military press, standing rows, and hammer curls.....free weights all the way!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Another vote for New Rules of Lifting for Women! It has all the info she needs to get started, and it will help convince her she won't get buff :)
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I bought "The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises" Which is pretty much straight Strength Training. It has every known (pretty much) way of doing each lift, from easy, to middle, to extremely hard difficulty. I think it's a good buy for $25.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I wish it were true about women bulking up when lifting heavy! It takes a lot of work for women to build muscle and keep it!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Tell her to pick up a book called The New Rules of Lifting for Women; I think that would be a good place to start.

Mine has just arrived today :) looking to get stuck into some lifting

Just got my book too! :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    *In Garth style* "Thank you, I like to lift"

I would say I am more often than not the only female that enters, and stays for more than one minute, in the weights area at the gym. Which is a shame

That's with the exception of an amazing mysterious woman who was awesome at chin ups...she was only there twice...and I never saw her again.

That is my story.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Sarcasm and homophobia don't mix, and they are not synonymous. It's not a matter of not being able to detect sarcasm--it's a matter of being able to distinguish between the two and knowing that one can offend someone on a level that the other can't.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    10/10 and lifts:

Jamie-Eason-Video.jpg

Gross!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

haha who am I trying to kid here?

I love me some Jamie Eason! She is my hero!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    you look great you still have curves

Thank you.

However, my chest looks very similar to the woman in the blue tank when it's flex, so yes, I took offense at you calling her manly.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fantastic response aside from the odd pip-squeak chirping up. I am over the moon with all the advice and information i have been given.

I will definetly purchase the new rules of lifting for women book for her as she loves reading too!

Also, to all the girls who are doing the big compound moves like Squats and deads i applaud you, a lot of men in my gym don't even do them. ITs refreshing to hear

Thanks again

You should get her on this site too then she can see the women who lift and how they are not HUGE

My 1 rep deadlift max is 245lbs :) I don't think i'm huge - correct me if i'm wrong
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I would say I am more often than not the only female that enters, and stays for more than one minute, in the weights area at the gym. Which is a shame

That's with the exception of an amazing mysterious woman who was awesome at chin ups...she was only there twice...and I never saw her again.

That is my story.

I think it can be intimidating... those of us that don't really know what we're doing (yet - like the OPs girlfriend), it can be a little scary :grumble:
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason
    Jessica Paxon-Putnam (maybe just paxson/paxon now)
    Marzia Prince
    Trish Warren
    Dana Linn Bailey
    Jenna Renae
    Brandy Dahl
    Christina Lindley
    Ava Cowan
    Laura Michelle Prestin

I could go on and on.... these ladies LIFT! And they are freakin' gorgeous. They inspire the hell out of me, especially Jamie and Brandy!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I love lifting! I can't choose a favourite exercise, although my top 3 are squats, deadlifts and bench press!

Squats because I just love how they make me feel, they completely knacker me and who doesn't love awesome defined legs & butt!
    Bench because it's the one I'm best at (in comparison to what is seen as a good weight for each of the 3 lifts)
    Deadlifts because it's the one I lift the most total weight for, that makes me feel pretty good!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    two things: A. lifting is super fun. you get to make fun of the guys (in your head of course!) who are lifting and not using proper form. B. it's a really great way to see progress - increasing weight and watching your muscles develop is really rewarding! i had my hand on my bicep for some reason the other day and reached for something, and felt how hard my bicep was with my other hand. very cool. it's hard to see that kind of progress with other exercises!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options

That is my story.

I think it can be intimidating... those of us that don't really know what we're doing (yet - like the OPs girlfriend), it can be a little scary :grumble:

Yeah I didn't think of that, and tbh it took me ages to build up the courage to do squats in front of people then again to use the splits. I still only try chin ups when there's no one really there.

I think it would be easier if you go with a friend so you have more confidence and not worried so much about men looking. I go on my own as I'm a loner
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

That is my story.

It is scary over there at first, but you just keep going and trying, and it gets easier. Eventually you get to loving the iron.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i lift a lot of heavy weights and train for it too.. im pretty lady like unless i wanna whoop someones azzz
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Hi girls,

I have finally managed to convince my Girlfriend that lifting weights will not make her ''butch''. Im sure you all agree that a lot of women have the misconception of lifting weights will give you a manly figure.

Now i am just wondering what your favourite excursuses are?

Strong is the new skinny!

Thanks

"Butch" is a loaded term. When I work out, I get bigger (not bulky, but bigger) and as I'm bottom heavy and have no special need for great strength I prefer to use weights only on my top half.

I observed this in myself over the years, but must admit that being told to lift heavy by women trainers who looked like muscled refrigerator boxes did not make me confident of their advice. Obviously, not every trainer has that physique. The women i'm talking about apparently had the philosophy that bigger is always better. It isn't.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    10/10 and lifts:

Jamie-Eason-Video.jpg

^^^ The Queen!