Food Diaries

Options

Replies

• Fluxx2009
    Fluxx2009 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Strangely enough when I opened mine up I suddenly became less diligent about logging. Not sure why - it wasn't like I was eating embarrassing stuff and therefore didn't want to log it. I just...I don't know...wasn't as good about it. So, I closed mine again. Maybe once I get in a really good rhythm I'll open it back up again and see what happens.

Let me know when you do, I'd love to see it :)
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. I have no problem with sharing mine. Also, I really like seeing my friends' diaries, so I can get new ideas for meals / snacks.

Me too. I have gotten some great ideas for meals and snacks.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I wrote my reason in my profile!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I have mine closed because I don't want to hear about the brand of bread/peanut butter/whatever I use, or be told a thousand times I should give up dairy or coffee or be chastised if I have a glass of wine. My friends don't do this but there are plenty of people who do.
  • Fluxx2009
    Options
    Mine use to be open, now it's closed. I have closed it because there are many people on here that feel it is their way or the highway. I believe what works for me may not work for someone else. I lost someone because I didn't eat 2500 calories a day and to me that is just ridiculous. I was feeling gulty as I was putting in my calories for the day and never wanted to hit complete because of what people would say. I am losing and in really good shape and I was sick of people saying things about eating too little because I don't eat my exercise calories.

That's really sad that you had to deal with that. Keep up the fantastic work and don't let the buttheads get you down!! :D
  • Fluxx2009
    Options
    I think it's funny that the question was asking why people don't have their food diaries open, but 90% of the responses have come from people whose diaries are open. Some people (like myself) are just private people and don't like to share much...either in the form of a food diary or a comment to a question about food diaries :) - then again, I guess this post blows my own theory, huh?

Yes, I'm very surprised by how many people came forward and are open to sharing their diaries...well, now that I know some of the various reasons people keep them private.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Too many people judge without me asking and dont compeltely understand certain motives of what people do. Not enough calories, too much, not a good work out, too hard, ect... :bigsmile:
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I share my diary with my friends. It gives me accountability and I'm always open to suggestions. My friends may notice a trend that I am not seeing. I like seeing others diaries to get ideas. Sometimes I get in a rut and they inspire me to expand!
  • dArtagnia
    dArtagnia Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed. At first it was accidental, because I didn't know it was automatic, but after reading some of the things people said about not wanting to be supportive of people who dont "eat right", I decided to keep it that way. I dont believe in cutting out food groups. I count calories to help with portion control as a way to lose weight, in conjunction with exercise. I also have a stomach illness, so it is important I stick to what I know I can eat, or I get violently ill. I dont want to be criticized for what I eat. The negativity just hurts me in the long run.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open.. I think it helps hold me more accountable for what I eat, even if no one looks at it. It makes me think twice before getting a DQ cone or eating more than one serving of potato chips. Not that I feel people would judge me, but it makes me feel like I want to be healthier if I know others will see it. :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Mine use to be open, now it's closed. I have closed it because there are many people on here that feel it is their way or the highway. I believe what works for me may not work for someone else. I lost someone because I didn't eat 2500 calories a day and to me that is just ridiculous. I was feeling gulty as I was putting in my calories for the day and never wanted to hit complete because of what people would say. I am losing and in really good shape and I was sick of people saying things about eating too little because I don't eat my exercise calories.

^^This^^ People can get nasty towards you if you don't follow their calorie, carb, protein, fat ratio.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends. I'll welcome other friends. :) I just find that it helps with accountability and that's why I'm here. I'm learning and I know I make a lot of bad choices and stumbles. That's what friends on here are for :) That is helpful and encouraging.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have mine closed, and it has been for quite some time thanks to snide comments from people who had far worse eating habits than mine. I certainly don't need to be accountable to anyone but MYSELF -- I'm doing this for me, after all.

This is a lifestyle change for me, not a diet. I haven't given up anything or deprived myself along the way... sure, I'm eating healthier and in much smaller quantities, but I still enjoy pizza, pasta and cheeseburgers (yes, with FRIES!) on a regular basis. There are days when my menu is all over the place - clean, processed, homemade, take-out - and quite frankly I don't need people trying to tell me what I should and shouldn't eat when obviously this is working well for me.

I don't even look at my friends' diaries, because even though they may be open I don't feel that it's any of my business. You want ideas for meals and snacks? Just ask! But stalking through diaries for ideas? That's just plain creepy... :noway:
  • beachdiva2010
    beachdiva2010 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    mine was open for the first 8 months I was on MFP - then I got a few negative (read: not constructive, but just plain mean) comments about my diary and got really embarrassed about it. I'm already in counseling for food issues, so feeling ashamed of my food choices didn't make it any better.

I closed my diary and may feel comfortable opening it again one day, but not right now!
  • aldale
    aldale Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Until now I had no idea mine was set to private. I've opened mine up, but I can see the appeal of setting it to private or just viewable to friends. There are a lot of judgmental people out there in the world and I prefer to give them as little ammunition against myself as possible.

I had mine open to the public and was getting too much unsoliticed advice. One person was really cruel. After that, I found myself faking it. Now I have closed my diary, removed that person as a friend, and I am honest about what I eat. I feel better with it this way. Maybe one day I will open it up again, but I am not ready right now.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mines open to friends and I've never had a mean comment, but I have to admit that there are times when I will have a tablespoon or two of something and not log it (anything bigger than that and I log it). I do remember it in my head and make sure with those calories I don't go over but shrug....I was always a closet eater. At the same time, I know that people do get rude comments on here about their diaries and I think it's really sad. I love to look at others diaries, sorry I'm nosy, lol. But most of my friends are diabetics and it helps me get ideas on how many carbs they are eating and better choices of treats. I love it.

One friend eats sugar free chocolate pudding as a snack...omg, I missed chocolate sooo much! I picked some up and I'm in love! :)
  • Jentaylor0295
    Jentaylor0295 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I opened mine to friends, my problem is I'm seeing a lot of people that are eating CRAP! and very little nutritional foods. Anyone who eats CLEAN/Well, please friend me :) I need some good ideas for meals.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have no problem sharing my diary. I have nothing to hide and try to be totally honest. It wouldn't help me to be deceptive....I would only be deceiving myself. If I mess up it will be out there for all to see.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Mine's open. I think it's the responsible thing and a healthy thing to do. I found reading other people's diaries helped me learn quickly which foods were healthy and wise choices and which foods were not. I feel compelled to share mine to be of similar help to others.