Am i the only one it pisses off

Options

Replies

• jefflturn
    jefflturn Posts: 41
    Options
    You said it sister! How about sitting on the equipment talking on a damn cell phone? Oh my all time favorite is when 1 person is using 3 pieces of equipment rotating their sets between the 3. If the gym is deserted this is not an issue but usually the gym is pretty full when I see this happen.
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I so agree with Adini749 and the others-- don't judge -- - I have asthma and I don't run on the tread mill -- but the more I do walk on it the stronger my lungs are getting-- and some days I can almost run other days I'm lucky to move as a turtle but I'm moving --
  • blairh10
    blairh10 Posts: 37
    Options
    I guess what I'm going to take away from this thread is that if someone is judging me because they think I am not working hard enough then they must also not be working all that hard if they had the time and energy left to stare at me and gauge my workout. Maybe tomorrow I'll be less fearful to piss someone off and I'll actually use the machines. Thanks for my new insight.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    ok my opinion here.

but do you know their circumstances? maybe they just had surgery and cant work out as hard or there's some other circumstances.
    and surely there is other equipment at your gym that is not in use. That would allow you to change up your routine to lessen the chances of a plateau. So just because someone does not have the same agenda as you does not mean they're not there to benefit from the gym. Everyone is different.

Although, on another note, if they're not doing anything but talking then maybe it is better they not be at the gym... But there is nothing wrong with a conversation to distract you from the pain your muscles are in (which low levels can cause too)

yes i do know.. since the day before she was chatting the same way .. and every day before that.. she was acting like it was a punishment to be there and like if she didnt work out she would end up in jail... if it was someone who was physically not able to i would be the first one there cheering them on.. but when a 20 year old young thin fit girl is litterly going while talking on her phone and people who are wanting to use the machine.. i find it rude.... if you want to chat on your phone.. remove yourself from the machine.. finish your conversation and then work out.. or call them back... i just think it is rude ... and if she was putting some effort in.. then diffrent.. but i dont need to work out on other machines while listening to her talk about how she cant even stand being at the gym.. but she is doing it cause she figures she should.... and going on about everyone else there being gross and sweaty...

maybe i didnt paint the picture well in the being..

i am not saying people putting in the effort are not ok to use it.. i am saying the young girl who is chatitng on the phone and acting like she is shopping while *****ing it up about being there.... i dunno.... just made me feel frustrated

How many calories does pissing backwards burn:laugh:
  • smallerfyme
    smallerfyme Posts: 13
    Options
    #whitepeopleproblems
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    this is one of the reasons why i wont/dislike to go to gyms.....Judgmental people like you.
    when i hurt my leg, i had to stop and go slow, and stop and go slow, on the elliptical machine, and people would look at me funny, and act like i shouldn't be there.

its no one's business what others are doing at the gym.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    ok my opinion here.

but do you know their circumstances? maybe they just had surgery and cant work out as hard or there's some other circumstances.
    and surely there is other equipment at your gym that is not in use. That would allow you to change up your routine to lessen the chances of a plateau. So just because someone does not have the same agenda as you does not mean they're not there to benefit from the gym. Everyone is different.

Although, on another note, if they're not doing anything but talking then maybe it is better they not be at the gym... But there is nothing wrong with a conversation to distract you from the pain your muscles are in (which low levels can cause too)

yes i do know.. since the day before she was chatting the same way .. and every day before that.. she was acting like it was a punishment to be there and like if she didnt work out she would end up in jail... if it was someone who was physically not able to i would be the first one there cheering them on.. but when a 20 year old young thin fit girl is litterly going while talking on her phone and people who are wanting to use the machine.. i find it rude.... if you want to chat on your phone.. remove yourself from the machine.. finish your conversation and then work out.. or call them back... i just think it is rude ... and if she was putting some effort in.. then diffrent.. but i dont need to work out on other machines while listening to her talk about how she cant even stand being at the gym.. but she is doing it cause she figures she should.... and going on about everyone else there being gross and sweaty...

maybe i didnt paint the picture well in the being..

i am not saying people putting in the effort are not ok to use it.. i am saying the young girl who is chatitng on the phone and acting like she is shopping while *****ing it up about being there.... i dunno.... just made me feel frustrated

ahh see now that is a different story all together... yes.. if you're at the gym, be at the gym, not on your phone...
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    AS I STATED .. i think those who are there putting in effort fine... a litle effort or alot is fine..

the one who is on the machine talking on her cell phone.. for 20 MINUTES... AND HAVING THE MACHINE STOP WITH THE PEDAL FASTER COMMENT 6 TIMES FROM WHAT I SAW... that is rude to those who do want to work out..

jezzz i didnt paint it properly.. sorry didnt mean to get **** on, not like i go balls out either.. i just put effort into it \

you know what? they piss me off as well. And I will readily admit that some of the people on this thread who jump to their defence with "they pay their dues" and all that are right and have a valid argument. BUT, those people doing the defending piss me off as well. Why is it that any time somebody posts something where they are evenly slightly critical of anybody else in the world, 30 people have to jump in and defend whoever that poor innocent unknown unnamed person is that's being criticized?

I started a thread weeks ago about the guy I hate at the gym. He's a jerk, drops weights, hogs machines, etc. And by the 4th response, somebody was defending him and saying how I was out of line. REALLY? how the F does anybody know that when the only info is what I posted and EVERY bit of what I posted showed the guy as a jerk. Now, if you wanted to argue that I didn't give an accurate portrayal of the guy, maybe not. But that's a different color of horse.

And while we're discussing what and who pisses me off (as I hijack your thread), people who use standard phrases in the wrong context piss me off. You know, like when you're talking about cheats on welfare and they say "you can't get blood from a turnip." No, but I can get blood by beating a dead horse, if I don't wait too long after it dies.

And somebody else that pisses me off is people who don't believe that Neil Armstrong landed on the Moon. Maybe they should be beaten instead of the dead horse. And who beats a dead horse anyway? Do you beat them because you're mad that they died?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    when you go into the gym and the piece of equipment you want to use is being used half *kitten* by someone who seems to be there just because it is the cool thing to do

Oh no, that definitely pisses me off. If you want to piss off a bunch of guys quickly then go do some barbell curls in the power rack.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Lol glad to know I piss so many people off with the way I choose to spend my time.

When I'm sitting on my *kitten* watching tv, sometimes I go to the gym to go at a lie surely pace and burn some calories watching said program. I play on my phone and text and watch tv working at probably 50% effort, and that is a lovely part of my day.

I don't typically go during peak hours, but if I did, I wouldn't feel guilty at all for doing what I want. I do me, you do you.

I bet I spend more time actually working at the gym than most people in this thread too. I'm just willing to put in low intensity time on top of my real effort.

I do not think me doing my workout is disrespectful. However it would be if I went over posted time limits or was occupying weight machines I wasn't using. Using at low intensity != not using. I hate the frat curlers as much as any other squat lover
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    I know I shouldn't agree because I used to be that lame-o power walking on the treadmill. But now there are only two treadmills at the gym that show the calorie count and are big enough that they don't shudder when I run, and I get so mad when my machines are taken, too!
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    #whitepeopleproblems

Now this made me laugh! It truly is a non issue if this girl want to take a crap on the machine after I'm done with it by all means have at it! But hey I'm 6'3" and weigh 313lbs so I could really careless what people say or think at the gym!!
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Let me say this again so those who zutomatically took offense and attacked.....if there is effort put into it...if you are there to work out.. Hey i am the one who will be ur damm cheerleader.....

BUT ifyou are goingtostand on the elliptical watching tv while talking to ur friend giving a play by play of what happens on the real housewives of wherever....its a little annoying.... Or if you put that friend on hold to loudly argue with your boyfriend about whatever weirc thing happened....that is irratating.....

If you then move to the wight machine and sit on the bench and proceed to sit for 20 minutes so that ppl all ove the gym are wanting to kill her... That is my problem

Not your grandfather who is putting ineffortor the 57year old with bad knees or theoverweight lady giving it her 100% iam talking about the people who dont understand that others r there to workout....

Is that clearer now? I am sure none of you who have attacked and said i was iggnorant or think i am talking about them will come back or read this... But if you do...unless your using the gym as ateenager uses her bedroom and everyone else there diesnt matter then no i am not talkimg about u....
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yeah, some people can only start off very easy and stuff. It wouldn't make me mad. Unless they were sitting on the machine doing nothing.
  • SiempreBella
    SiempreBella Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think you need to calm down. Hey I have been that person on the treadmill who is studying my notes or reading my books for class and I go at a very low speed. Maybe you should go at different hours when it is not so full. I usually go around the evening and that is when I noticed it is super packed. .
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Let me say this again so those who zutomatically took offense and attacked.....if there is effort put into it...if you are there to work out.. Hey i am the one who will be ur damm cheerleader.....

BUT ifyou are goingtostand on the elliptical watching tv while talking to ur friend giving a play by play of what happens on the real housewives of wherever....its a little annoying.... Or if you put that friend on hold to loudly argue with your boyfriend about whatever weirc thing happened....that is irratating.....

If you then move to the wight machine and sit on the bench and proceed to sit for 20 minutes so that ppl all ove the gym are wanting to kill her... That is my problem

Not your grandfather who is putting ineffortor the 57year old with bad knees or theoverweight lady giving it her 100% iam talking about the people who dont understand that others r there to workout....

Is that clearer now? I am sure none of you who have attacked and said i was iggnorant or think i am talking about them will come back or read this... But if you do...unless your using the gym as ateenager uses her bedroom and everyone else there diesnt matter then no i am not talkimg about u....

At first I was on the bandwagon with everyone else, thinking "whoa! that's not fair!" but then you clarified and said you were talking about the girl being on her cell phone the whole time. I get that. That would piss me off too.

Also, I think a lot of people just read the initial post, and reply off of that, not read the whole thread, so sometimes they're only getting half the story :) I don't think you're ignorant or a bad person or anything :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I don't take real rest days, I take active rest, where I go to the gm and halfass something for 30-60 minutes. I pay the same dues you do, I can use the equipment at whatever pace I want just as you are free to do the same.

ditto.

the last rest day for me was me jumping on the recumbent bike (so you know i was being EXTRA lazy considering there's an arm rest :laugh: ) and plugging in my samsung phone and watching part of a movie on netflix streaming. it's the only recumbent on the floor i was on and i know a few people were put off cus they didnt want to use the non recumbent. i even brought a snack (a protein bar). i wasnt talking on the phone but i was texting and writing emails. if someone would have had a problem with that then too frigging bad. first come first serve.

oh and i was going so slow that i didnt even realize i didnt have a towel until 20 minutes in and that was because i had a coughing fit and wanted to cough into the towel :laugh:

anyway this thread reminds me of some old 60 year old manfools i had to set straight at the gym just today because they thought i should move from the power rack because they wanted to use the chin up bar (there were 3 other bars not in use they could have used) and according to them i could do my deadlifts and BB row (with a weighted oly bar) anywhere :huh: i basically told them to go on somewhere else
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My husband had 2 major surgeries on his knee, now goes to the gym as part of his rehab and yes he is one of those who has virtually no weight on the machines. He already feels like an idiot because he can't be using the big weights that others use, he can't put in as much effort as other people do and he certainly can't push through the pain barrier as much as he'd like to. I'm glad he takes no notice of the people who are potentially pissed by his 'lack of commitment' otherwise he could very well ruin $10,000 worth of surgery!

Edit. Noticed your amendment, and yes that would annoy me if someone was occupying a maching while talking on the phone and not doing anything while people are waiting to use it. I usually have other things that I can move onto and come back later so I tend not to sweat the small stuff really.
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Is that clearer now? I am sure none of you who have attacked and said i was iggnorant or think i am talking about them will come back or read this... But if you do...unless your using the gym as ateenager uses her bedroom and everyone else there diesnt matter then no

i am not talkimg about u....
    Again please read jesus
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Talking on phones is banned on our gym floor, it works well :)