BURN what you eat!

Options

Replies

• Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    By this logic, if I don't eat, then I don't really burn any calories, so I don't need to eat...

^^Holy crap, we just solved world hunger!!!!

That's why there are so many 300 pound anorexics.
    this is why there is starvation mode
    this is why your body become more efficient and u stop losing weight while you are eating 1200 calories and working out
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I am not saying to go over in your calories , what i am saying is eat your carbs and your fast fuel before your workouts.
    once you run low on fuel you will get fatigued and tired and your workouts will suffer.

Obvious post is obvious

Thank you captain obvious :)
  • daz60
    daz60 Posts: 22
    Options
    i think that when you burn calories not all the calories burnt are fat. as carbs, proteins etc. have different calories values. say something has 50 cals carbs, 10 cals protein and 10 calories fat (70 cal).. if you go and burn 60 then whose to say you have/haven't burnt the fat, you could be just burning the carbs and protein. I think its important what exercise you actually do, the more your heart rate is up then the more fat you will burn.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    We need to stop comparing our bodys to cars. If You put in enough gas to go 600 miles in your car, you can only go 600 miles. If you eat 600 calories, you can burn a lot more then that without stopping. Just my 2 cents.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    this is why your body become more efficient and u stop losing weight while you are eating 1200 calories and working out
    [/quote]

This occurs during any calorie deficit.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I know i may get blasted for this topic or belief but shoot me i am superman

Eat the calories you will be burning during your workout pre workout not post workout
    this will fuel your body properly for your workout and you will be able to burn whet you eat

I dont believe that if you eat 250 calories all morning and workout lets say for 2 hrs and it says you burned 1200 cals that you will actually burn them unless they are readily in your system , i know you can argue the fact that your burning fat but truthfully fat doesnt break down that fast, and most likely your body willl in turn burn less calories to protect itself

so i say if i am going to bust out a large workout , i am going to prepare my body for the workout a few hrs earlier
    now you will also need to fuel your body according to they type of workout you will be doing
    if i am going to run or be doing 90% cardio , i better eat at least 60-80% carbs
    if i am going to lift heavy i can cut back on some of those carbs and eat a meal which has more protien and unsaturated fats but will still need at least 50% carbs and post meals will be mostly protien , less carbs since i will not be burning much sitting driving and walking.

All I see though your biased old school unproven pathology...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1cXG7rJn76fI5eYItha9dYEbR28MiPbmFB_NPe9j96vqvcPgnrw

But then I stop and remember, oh wait, you're not...
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    By this logic, if I don't eat, then I don't really burn any calories, so I don't need to eat...

^^Holy crap, we just solved world hunger!!!!

That's why there are so many 300 pound anorexics.
    this is why there is starvation mode

so now you're backpeddling without admitting that your initial post was ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY WRONG!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    We need to stop comparing our bodys to cars. If You put in enough gas to go 600 miles in your car, you can only go 600 miles. If you eat 600 calories, you can burn a lot more then that without stopping. Just my 2 cents.

True, our bodies aren't cars, or camp fires fueled by different sizes of logs. Damn I hate those stupid analogies!!!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Options
    This is interesting and makes a lot of sense, but what about those people who work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach (as I did today and do many days?) I can't possibly eat before I go to the gym at 5:00am.

what you can do is have some juice for fast energy . or a piece of fruit

precisely--starvation even simply cannot cause fat loss if you're working out. your body won't burn calories, right?
    i never said it will not burn calories , you can cause yourself to go into starvation mode if you are in a deficit or burn muscle tissue or just hit a wall
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    They cannot already be in your system? Do they magically evaporate at midnight or something? Also, calorie burn is proportional to exertion, not the availability of calories. And why would you cut back on carbs before weight lifting as opposed to cardio? Carbs are a fast-release energy. Fat is a slow release energy.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    So you really think that the food you JUST ingested is what fuels your workout? Like it immediately goes from your mouth to your muscles? Interesting.

You don't think you could have calories (also known as potential energy) already in your body that you can use as fuel and then replace that fuel with food which will turn into fuel at any reasonable time around a work out?

If so, when you wake up in the morning, and you do all that you do before eat anything (shower, *kitten*, shave), what is fueling that?
    Options

Eat the calories you will be burning during your workout pre workout not post workout
    this will fuel your body properly for your workout and you will be able to burn whet you eat

I dont believe that if you eat 250 calories all morning and workout lets say for 2 hrs and it says you burned 1200 cals that you will actually burn them unless they are readily in your system , i know you can argue the fact that your burning fat but truthfully fat doesnt break down that fast, and most likely your body willl in turn burn less calories to protect itself

so i say if i am going to bust out a large workout , i am going to prepare my body for the workout a few hrs earlier
    now you will also need to fuel your body according to they type of workout you will be doing
    if i am going to run or be doing 90% cardio , i better eat at least 60-80% carbs
    if i am going to lift heavy i can cut back on some of those carbs and eat a meal which has more protien and unsaturated fats but will still need at least 50% carbs and post meals will be mostly protien , less carbs since i will not be burning much sitting driving and walking.

AND I QUOTE---"I dont believe that if you eat 250 calories all morning and workout lets say for 2 hrs and it says you burned 1200 cals that you will actually burn them unless they are readily in your system"

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? You said you won't burn the calories unless you've eaten them prior to the workout session. So yeah, you're basically backpeddling.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have to bump. Im not a Nutritionist a professional weight trainer just some one trying to educate myslelf and live right maybe you should do the same. Maybe you should do a search on the starvation mode study the US army did after WW2.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Options
    My problem is that if I eat within a few hours of my workout, I get terrible cramps and can't even push through my workout. It's very frustrating.
    thats because if you are eating food that needs more digestion , it will sit in your stomach and cramp you up
    fats and protiens take longer to digest
  • Fit4Evolution
    Options
    I have to bump. Im not a Nutritionist a professional weight trainer just some one trying to educate myslelf and live right maybe you should do the same. Maybe you should do a search on the starvation mode study the US army did after WW2.
    ive read that article
    Options
    My problem is that if I eat within a few hours of my workout, I get terrible cramps and can't even push through my workout. It's very frustrating.
    thats because if you are eating food that needs more digestion , it will sit in your stomach and cramp you up
    fats and protiens take longer to digest

so what about that thing you said about carbs and protein for strength training? uuuuh---a bit inconsistent in your recommendations no?
  • Fit4Evolution
    Options

AND I QUOTE---"I dont believe that if you eat 250 calories all morning and workout lets say for 2 hrs and it says you burned 1200 cals that you will actually burn them unless they are readily in your system"

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? You said you won't burn the calories unless you've eaten them prior to the workout session. So yeah, you're basically backpeddling.
    i beleieve you will be breaking down muscle and getting fatigued before you can hit your 2 hr mark if you had the proper nutrients before the workout you would probably be closer to burning what was calculated
  • Fit4Evolution
    Options
    So you really think that the food you JUST ingested is what fuels your workout? Like it immediately goes from your mouth to your muscles? Interesting.

You don't think you could have calories (also known as potential energy) already in your body that you can use as fuel and then replace that fuel with food which will turn into fuel at any reasonable time around a work out?

If so, when you wake up in the morning, and you do all that you do before eat anything (shower, *kitten*, shave), what is fueling that?
    i never said immediatly , but your blood sugar will rise in a very short time if you have sweets or juice , i wouldnt suggest eating and working out immediatly afterwards. you would probably cramp or get sick. your body has limited glucose stores from your previous meals and if your workouts are intense you will burn them up fast
  • kayejb519
    kayejb519 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just popped in to say you suck, like you asked...lol! Just kidding! Makes sense to me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Has anyone asked the source of this great revelation? Did you actually read this somewhere or is it all straight out of your noggin?